Windows 10 Downloading 10159 now...what's up?

Saltgrass

Excellent Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Well, I thought 10158 would be the last build before the final... looks like I was wrong. I wonder why so soon, maybe 10158 had some problem.

It shows available in Windows Update, but so far it has not started actually downloading.

Now it seems to be downloading at 50 Mbps... we will see what happens..

Downloading stopped, but no current activity related to an update... not sure the download finished.

Last edited:
Mine finally finished downloading but it was really strange how it would stop for a while. Maybe they are testing the servers!! :)

I see one reason why they went to the new build ... :up:

I wish they would have a downloadable ISO instead of the update method. Why is MS being so miserable about not providing ISOs?
Joe

Read the blog:

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/06/30/whoa-another-pc-build/

I think the principal reason for delivering upgrade, is because that will be the ultimat method used when the final release comes ot. MS want to be sure we are all testing the same platform. This would be normal for any beta testing. They will be aware that the knowledgeable will be converting to home made ISOs and making clean installs. I would imagine that also suits their plans.

I wish they would have a downloadable ISO instead of the update method. Why is MS being so miserable about not providing ISOs?
Joe
I agree with Dave, there will be many users who will not want to do a clean install and wipe out their current installs. So it should be essential for Microsoft to make sure the upgrade process will work without issues.

It is fun to watch the download come from another computer which already had the upgrade, it doesn't take long to get the upgrade at 200 Mbps or higher. I do get a little tired of reinstalling software, so I don't always do a clean install unless some problem arises.

Here we go again, just got my first Blue Screen from 10159 on my X99 Multi-monitor surround system. Caused by dxgkrnl.sys.

Edit: Second Blue Screen... I may go back to 10147, it was stable.

Last edited:
MS is counting on the update method going smoothly. A lot of the uninformed don't have sense enough to make an image of existing install, have slow download speeds, low disk space, and probably have hardware and software that will be a problem. Then they get the shock of what MS has dropped like Media Player and ability to play DVDs, XP mode, etc.
Joe

Maybe it'll be reminiscent of the Windows 8 upgrade... now that was fun.
After hours of the upgrade cannot proceed reverting back or the upgrade failed rolling back, I finally gave up. Never did figure out why my Windows 7 Pro machine would not upgrade to Windows 8, but I did learn how to perform a clean install from upgrade media.
I hope someone at Microsoft realizes that people's time is valuable and many folks can't afford to have their computers unavailable while an upgrade fails..... twice, and you twiddle your thumbs while you wait and hope that the rollback, at least, is successful.
Hope springs eternal.

I don' really like upgrades. I've had problems with both Firefox and Chrome causing BSODs uninstalling and a clean install fixed the problem. They constantly update in the background.
Joe

MS is counting on the update method going smoothly. A lot of the uninformed don't have sense enough to make an image of existing install, have slow download speeds, low disk space, and probably have hardware and software that will be a problem. Then they get the shock of what MS has dropped like Media Player and ability to play DVDs, XP mode, etc.
Joe

? I can play music in the Media Player, which is still there? Video? Still waiting. Gabe said:

""The main scenario people used WMC for was to play DVD. We'll provide another option for DVD playback in the future.""

So far, I do not see the XP compatibility option, but it does say something about previous version.

Not a great bother in either situation. I haven't used the media player (or the Media centre) for years. A third party add on has always, for me, been superior.

Just an aside comment. Surely anyone who is still looking for XP compatibility mode, should move on just a little?

Capture.PNG

Hi

One issue with not using Media Player seems to be that Cortana will only interface with it, and not third party software like WinAmp which I've used for years.

I like being able to say "Hey Cortana, Play my music" but once the novelty wears off I'll probably go back to WinAmp unless they make it possible to tell her what programs you want to use to do what.

I get the impression that the email interface will work the same way, requiring you to use Windows mail if you want to use speech to send mail.

Mike

You might be able to control Cortana by changing your Default program settings. In the new upgrade to 10159, I told Cortana to play music and the Music App started up, so it does not have to be WMP. Probably the default app for music files on this install is the Music app, so it opens.

It could be some utilities will not work with Cortana.. Only time will tell, but Cortana is working much better in this latest build.

Hi

How did Cortana know what music to play?
I had to create a Cortana folder in Media Player to get her to do it.

Mike

Mike, I thought we had realized the user does not create the Cortana Folder, Cortana does.

But since I had not even opened the Music app before, when I told it to play music, it searched my system and found the one album I have on that system and played it.

You can request a specific album or specific artist..

Hi

I didn't do it that way, I created a folder in Media Player named Cortana, then I copied 175 pieces of music into it.
When I ask Cortana to play my music, she starts someplace in that folder and plays them at random.

If she searched my system she would find a lot of music folders, so I'm not sure what she would play?
But I haven't seen any indication that she searches for music beyond the folders I created in Media Player.

I guess the next time I do a clean install I'll ask her to play music before I set it up and see what happens.

I normally use WinAmp for my music player but haven't seen any indication that I can get Cortana to use that, but I haven't found any really complete information on how she's' supposed to work.

Mike

Going outside once again, just to mention, I've had some strange experiences with PowerDVD 14. Not sure if they have something against John Wayne, but his Cahill or Chisum wouldn't play with that, but it played well with Windows Media Player.

We are hot in Finland right now, I sweat like a pig. Gosh.

Mike, if you want to change what plays the music, go to settings, System and default apps.

I have been experimenting and can get the Hey Cortana Play music to work, which finds all music in my Music folder and creates a playlist with it.

I got it to play a specific song, had it skip tracks, and some other small changes.

I have been disappointed so far in that I have not been able to get it to play an album. Maybe I am using the wrong command but I need to keep working on that. It seems Cortana switches from a music mode to a search mode and will only open Edge and not look for the album in my music.

Anyway, now that it is more reliable, we may be able to get a better feel of how it works.

Pauli, I live in Texas...do you really want to claim it is hot in Finland? ;)

Back
Top Bottom