Windows 7 Drop down windows/boxes won't stay open.

gduncan

I'm having some trouble with drop down windows in certain programs, taskbar drop down windows for programs, and right click windows staying open. They will open for a quick second and then shut. I've run malware/spyware and virus searches, and come up with nothing. I've also updated all of my drivers, and even tried disabling Aero. The problem has just kind of popped up, as everything was working fine for a while. I've also tried a system restore. Any recommendations to fix the problem?

Hello and welcome to the windows7forums.

Are these older programs that use the old style drop-down box which also include the up box to go back a directory, create new folder, and .give you a View menu?

Could you give me a name of one of the programs so I could try iy out in my machine.

I use a program called Textpad that has this old style drop-down box

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the windows7forums.

Are these older programs that use the old style drop-down box which also include the up box to go back a directory, create new folder, and .give you a View menu?

Could you give me a name of one of the programs so I could try iy out in my machine.

I use a program called Textpad that has this old style drop-down box

Programs was a bad word choice, it's really more things like the control panel, taskbar items, and windows based things. For example when I click the wi-fi icon on the right side of the task bar to open up my connections the box opens then quickly shuts. Another example is in the control panel. The window bar flashes and when I try and search the control panel after typing one letter the search gets highlighted almost as if there is a pop up window or the active program is changing. Thanks!

Very strange , that;s;s a new one to me.

Did this occur immediately after install.

Di you recall installing any new software or making any other major changes to your system?

Also the Aero preview boxes on the taskbar that you get when you roll the mouse over the currently running programs. The Aero box will come up and then close quickly

Dropdown boxes

I'm having some trouble with drop down windows in certain programs, taskbar drop down windows for programs, and right click windows staying open. They will open for a quick second and then shut. I've run malware/spyware and virus searches, and come up with nothing. I've also updated all of my drivers, and even tried disabling Aero. The problem has just kind of popped up, as everything was working fine for a while. I've also tried a system restore. Any recommendations to fix the problem?

You are not alone, I also have the same problem, come and goes at random. Don't know why?? I am ready to take this guy back to the store, seems like a rather rare problem.

Dropdown boxes

I was ready to return the computer but then I read about someone else who had the same problem and was advised to check the mouse installation, they did, I did (replaced with new win 7 driver) and looks like it is working so far, hope that is the end of the problem, Good luck.

Chezar

Very strange , that;s;s a new one to me.

Did this occur immediately after install.

Di you recall installing any new software or making any other major changes to your system?

I'm having the same problem, it doesn't matter what program your in, just when you right
click for the menu box to copy or delete or whatever it will not stay up, it takes me several tries but it will eventually stay up so I can choose my command. Seems like if I hold down the right button over what I'm clicking on long enough the command box will eventually show up. And I haven't install or removed anything, it just started happening after a Tuesday Windows update is all I can think of.

Last edited:
Back