Windows 10 EasyDCD messed up my booting

SANDandCLAY

How do I get my laptop to boot again? I'm new to Windows 10 Technical Preview, Ubuntu, and dual-booting, but I was able to successfully set up dual-booting on my laptop by following the advice to install Windows 10 first, then Ubuntu 14.04 so that the latter OS’s boot-loader would be the default, but I found this default Ubuntu boot manager screen to be plain vanilla, simple and ugly, so I installed and ran Easybcd 2.2.1 in Win 10 so as to make the much prettier Windows 10 boot manager the default. However, during the editing process a warning flashed by about the changes I made having the potential to prevent the computer from booting altogether, but primarily because of my inexperience I just ignored the warning and now the laptop won't boot at all. The repair feature on the Windows 10 DVD failed to cure the problem and the Ubuntu bootable thumbdrive has no option to repair the system. How do I get my laptop to boot again from the hard drive?

You need to boot from the thumb drive and repair the MBR from with in Ubuntu. See here.

This is one of the biggest reasons to never dual boot with Linux, as it will always over ride the MBR and render windows useless even after the Linux distro is uninstalled.

I found this one as well..... http://blog.thameera.com/restoring-the-windows-mbr-using-a-ubuntu-live-cd-or-usb/

Thanks a million. Your first suggestion worked perfectly. I am now up and running for Xmas. I believe I will fall deeply in love with Ubuntu (hope it's a guy..............LOL)

Back
Top Bottom