Windows 8 EEeeek, this thing has Windows8!

Drew

Banned
It doesn't need or take heaps of "customizing".

And maybe people won't react, respond or adopt well, willing or enthusiastically, even, w/ interest or curiosity IF they hear BEFORE they themselves bother w/ it, that it is a "mess". Rather would taint the notion of, even, investigating, for oneself. This would only increase & heighten any, possibly, already, existing trepidation.

Personally, after using Win8 daily for more than 5 months will not, cannot agree w/ the attitude or perception or portrayal of Win8 being a "mess". I, too, had only prior Windows as a familiar reference. Yet, Win8 is not hard to learn or adjust to it, it needs no huge customizing or tweaking nor 3rd party add-ins or retro-fits. Nor do I (MY ENTITLED OPINION) find it kind or helpful to, in advance, give the impression that it sucks & would be gruesome & distasteful to everybody & anybody to try using it. I will stand firm the "Tile Style", the Start screen and APPs are not, actually, an issue & do not cause a problem, impedance or obstacle.

I, again personal opinion, not criticising anyone for differing views, feel Windows8, in reality, does not deserve to have people, in advance, thinking they surely must have a certain fearful, turned-off understanding of the OS. The OS is a fine piece of work & timely as we walk into the future of computing. The lack of a happy perception of Win8 and appreciation of it, in the 'grand scale' sense grows out of a lack of understanding of the OS and how it can, in fact & indeed be a pleasant, productive experience for End Users.

No my glasses are not rose coloured, I just feel like sharing the enjoyment that this technically impressive Windows8 Operating System is and can easily be for many on many devices.

Will there be enquiries, queries and requests for help and instructions? Yep, certainly. What I question is the idea that this is something terrible or why it has to be treated as something terrible. To me, an IT Pro, it is more like a 'so what?' thing, just the nature of the beast. Having to seek guidance to discover something is not terrible. Same happens in many contexts, always has, always will and certainly in technology.

The shocking (tongue in cheek) thing is, humans, being the creatures they are will, for the most part, @ some point cope. For some it will be their 'familiar' OS; for them, they will never have known what all the fuss was about, anyway.

Sorry, but, I just don't/can't buy into this idea that Windows8 is traumatic, terrifying nor weird or difficult to use. After more than 5 months, personally, I have, truly, found it quite the opposite.

Cheers,
Drew
new_windows_logo1.jpg

Agreed, Windows 8 has some good points but are you sure Microsoft isn't throwing you a buck or two?

:):):)

Everyone agrees!!! Windows 8 is adorable and easy to use!!!

From Grandparents

To Parents

and

To Children

And even some System Administrators

Everyone seems to agree. Gotta get me some of that Windows 8! Cut me off a slice of that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not in opposition, Trouble. But I am fine with Windows 8. Quite a lot of similar videos going around in opposition.
This one neither condones or attacks. It is mainly to gaze at from interest as it is a VERY rapid run through of the functions.

Hey Dave, good to hear from you.
Can't tell you how much I hate those seizure provoking videos with all the mad clicking and screens jerking around with little explanation either visually or verbally with an audio voice over as to what is actually going on and then throw in the annoying and unnecessarily loud music.
You can not possibly be "in opposition" to me as I am and have been since very early in the Developer's Preview, been using Windows 8 as my only OS (that's only as in single hard drive, no dual boot, or VHD, one OS installed) so that's DP, CP, RP and day after tomorrow RTM and have not and will not consider going back to Windows 7, despite a few minor bumps and frustrations along the way.
I just feel, that every once in a while, we need to actually spend some time and energy diluting the virtual Microsoft Kool-Aid and appreciate the fact that everyone Is Not a "Power User".
At 63 I have a fair bit of general computer experience and not a few industry certifications and I will admit without shame and only a slight bit of embarrassment (having never owned a smart phone until just very recently) the lock page caused me a few seconds of delay in getting to the user logon screen. And my wife who has worked her entire life as a systems analyst and is no stranger to computers, I had to tell her the lock screen was actually called a "Window Shade" so she could dispense with it and move along or else I suspect we might still be setting at that screen today.
I hardly see the value of a lock screen on a desktop computer nor for the most part any touch based interface. Doesn't mean I can't use it as efficiently as the video link you provided, doesn't even mean that I don't actually like it on some level (mostly because it's new and different and I like new and different). Just means that, as in most things, there are two sides to everything.
It only took one bad installation experience for me to never install Windows Vista on a single computer that I owned. Not that I couldn't use it, I probably repaired hundreds if not thousands over the time it was "popular". But I can tell you that not a single friend, relative, customer or client, ever heard me recommend installing or otherwise upgrading from XP to Vista. First impressions are very important.
Regards
Randy

Great.
I actually removed Windows 7 from my computer yesterday. I will be getting the RTM on Thursday but have already had the chance to work with it. I have slowly found ways to comfortably use the"Metro" screen (As a start menu) also. Unlike the majority of posters on forums, I only go on the legacy desktop when closing an app. I then click back to Metro for the next task, whatever that may be.
I am not raving about Windows 8, but it is, without any argument, a move for the better as far as performance is concerned. I have found IE a little gritty, but maybe they will work on that. With reluctance, until I see an improvement there, I have gone over to FF.

"Good to hear from you". Well, frankly the forum has been a little thin with posts, apart from rather repetitive issues, which have been totally done to death!

I only go on the legacy desktop when closing an app.
I have found the "Switcher" (don't know if that's the actual name or not) top left corner and then slowly down the left edge of the screen (or WinKey + Tab) where a right click, context menu will provide an option to close. As was the case with most of the previous iterations of Windows...... many, many ways to accomplish basically the same thing.
Well, frankly the forum has been a little thin with posts, apart from rather repetitive issues, which have been totally done to death!
Agreed "done to death".
I suspect that we will likely have to wait until after October 26th to see any explosion of new posts requesting help and support for this new OS. And they'll like be asking where the heck the "Start Menu" went.

Attachments

• AppSwither.jpg
    AppSwither.jpg
    463.4 KB · Views: 369
At 63 I have a fair bit of general computer experience and not a few industry certifications and I will admit without shame and only a slight bit of embarrassment (having never owned a smart phone until just very recently) the lock page caused me a few seconds of delay in getting to the user logon screen.

Now if everyone owned a Windows Phone, this problem would be non-existent! Jokes.
I much agree with your point on how pointless the lockscreen is (at least on something other than a tablet). I'd rather have the beautiful picture of my choosing with a few detailed info icons and the time of day taking residence as the background to the actual login screen, with my credentials on top.

Not in opposition, Trouble. But I am fine with Windows 8. Quite a lot of similar videos going around in opposition.
This one neither condones or attacks. It is mainly to gaze at from interest as it is a VERY rapid run through of the functions.

The app close tip @ 1:30 is new to me! :) Previously, I only knew to right click the preview in the left corner and select close/or task manager terminate. Also at 3:55 to search CP/files instead of programs without having to click Settings/Files is a great tip. Thanks for posting that - I only wish everyone could view it the same way as me/you/the guy who made that video. Oh well, in time.

Back