Windows 7 Epson R280 printer problems

Leslie

Upgraded from Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional on my Dell Studio 1735. Went to Epson's site, downloaded the latest drivers for the printer, kept getting the error message that it did not install correctly.

Turned off firewall and antivirus, tried again, still a no go. Removed it again and tried installing it again, this time it tells me that installed successfully and I was finally able to print. Here are my issues:

- ink levels status does not show up. On all of the ink bars is just a little dot pattern. Replaced all of the ink cartridges with brand new ones, no difference.

- on the quick task bar are two icons for the Epson R280 - one of them is named (Copy 1) as if it is installed twice?? But when I go to Devices and Printers there is only one Epson installed, the (Copy 1) version.

After I deleted it and plugged it back in, it then all of a sudden recognized it and started automatically installing it.

I had been getting the dreaded "communication error" for a while and it would not install last night. But then today it all of a sudden did.

I downloaded the drivers and tried to install them directly by clicking the application file and I kept getting that they did not install successfully.

How do I install using an .inf file?

Should I remove it and if so what is the best way to do that and try installing again?

Did you double ckick on an .exe file or use Devices and Printers using an .inf file.

Did you go here for drivers:
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?oid=89901&prodoid=63069504&infoType=Downloads&platform=Windows

If it;s a USB printer, many times Windows assigns to print to file,

right-click on the printers properties, click the Ports tab and make sure it states USB001

Open up Notepad, type anything, then choose Print, what is listed a the default printer?

The last time I installed it, Windows automatically recognized it and installed it for me. I did not click on any file.

I went to the printer properties and it was set for port LPT1 and I did change it to USB001 but no difference. Ink levels still aren't showing up, etc.

Did you double ckick on an .exe file or use Devices and Printers using an .inf file.

Did you go here for drivers:
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?oid=89901&prodoid=63069504&infoType=Downloads&platform=Windows

If it;s a USB printer, many times Windows assigns to print to file,

right-click on the printers properties, click the Ports tab and make sure it states USB001

Open up Notepad, type anything, then choose Print, what is listed a the default printer?

The last time I installed it, Windows automatically recognized it and installed it for me. I did not click on any file.

I went to the printer properties and it was set for port LPT1 and I did change it to USB001 but no difference. Ink levels still aren't showing up, etc.

I went to this page to get the drivers

Epson America, Inc. - Support: Microsoft Windows 7 Support for the Epson Stylus Photo R280

I went under Devices and Printers and right click and removed device. The Copy 1 version of the printer disappeared and there is not another Epson R280 icon there.

But down in the quick task bar there is a Epson R280 icon which is named the printer but without the Copy 1. Is it not removing all of the printers for some reason? How can I make sure I have removed all of the devices if I can't see it in the Devices and Printers window?

Are you referring to Windows 7?

Go to Control Panel > Devices an Printer, choose the Add printer entry and look through the list to see if you printer i there. if so select it and it will start the installation.

Ran Revo Uninstaller in advanced mode, removed everything and anything related to the printer and everything was removed successfully.

Plugged the printer back in and of course it was automatically recognized and it downloaded and installed it but once again, it installs it TWICE as you can see from the attached images. Only this time though the ink levels are showing up. Yay.

Just can't figure out what it's installing two versions of the printer though.

Yes, in Windows 7, when I plug it in, it automatically recognizes it and starts installing it so I never have a chance to go to Devices and manually do it.

Okay, it keeps getting stranger and stranger....am trying to cancel all printer documents from the copy 1 version and now the regular epson version icon now looks like it should but am waiting forever for the copy 1 quere to clear and for the documents to be deleted.

But when I try and access the printer properties from the regular version printer I get the error posted in the attached image.

Last edited:
Well it looks like it is now installed correctly after just multiple times uninstalling and re-installling, etc.

I unplugged it and went through the add printer wizard which added it and then when I actually plugged it in, it installed it as a USB 2.0 High speed printer so once again I had two printer versions. Deleted both of them, plugged it back it and let Windows install it and now it seems to be fine, just like should be.

Hopefully it will stay this way. Ugh!

Back
Top Bottom