Windows 7 Every time I need to connect to the internet using WiFi Windows 7 has to run troubleshooter.

yeto

Honorable Member
Every time I need to connect to the internet using WiFi Windows 7 has to run troubleshooter.

This is the message that appears on the screen: (Troubleshoot problems > Detecting Problems > Reset your wireless network adapter) Windows resets the network adapter and connects to the internet with no problem. I also wanted to add that this only happens when I connect using WiFi. If I hard wire I do not have this issue. I have updated the driver (even though it was already up to date). Also under Power Management > allow the computer to turn off this device to save power is "unchecked".

Would anyone have any idea as to why Windows has to reset the network adapter every time?

Thanks in advance for any help,
yeto

Check the IP configuration for the device - run a command prompt and enter the command:

ipconfig /all

Check out the IP settings on your wireless device, if you need help interpreting them post them here.

If you go to Control Panel >>> Network and Sharing Center >>> Change Network Adapters (or simply right-click on Network Connection icon on the bottom right corner of your screen) , you should see at least 2 icons there. One for "Local Area Connection" which is the wired connection and the other one is "Wireless Network Connection". If you switch a lot between wired and wireless, you may need to go to this window and disable (by right-clicking) "Local Area Connection" and then enable "Wireless Network Connection". So basically, there are 2 adapters for internet connection and the system needs to know which one you would like to use. Windows will fix it for you automatically but it would be faster if you do it manually.

Step5.png

Last edited:
If you go to Control Panel >>> Network and Sharing Center >>> Change Network Adapters (or simply right-click on Network Connection icon on the bottom right corner of your screen) , you should see at least 2 icons there. One for "Local Area Connection" which is the wired connection and the other one is "Wireless Network Connection". If you switch a lot between wired and wireless, you may need to go to this window and disable (by right-clicking) "Local Area Connection" and then enable "Wireless Network Connection". So basically, there are 2 adapters for internet connection and the system needs to know which one you would like to use. Windows will fix it for you automatically but it would be faster if you do it manually.

View attachment 25387

The wired connection is already "red Xed" out. Do I need to do anything different?

Thanks for helping,
yeto

Check the IP configuration for the device - run a command prompt and enter the command:

ipconfig /all

Check out the IP settings on your wireless device, if you need help interpreting them post them here.

I entered the following command after changing my user name...

ipconfig /all > C:\users\yourusername\ipcon.txt

it quickly flashed the information on the screen but I can't find it here:

It will a file called ipcon on drive C:\Users\yourusername\

Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,
yeto

The wired connection is already "red Xed" out. Do I need to do anything different?

Thanks for helping,
yeto

Yeah, that's because you are on wireless right now. Right?
If you are switching back to wired connection, you don't have to do anything. But if you are switching to wireless you have to enable the wireless adapter first or just leave windows to switch automatically but it will take more time than doing it manually.
There's nothing wrong with your computer.

ipconfig /all

I entered the following command after changing my user name...

ipconfig /all > C:\users\yourusername\ipcon.txt

it quickly flashed the information on the screen but I can't find it here:

It will a file called ipcon on drive C:\Users\yourusername\

Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,
yeto
That command will create a file called ipcon.txt in your user area on the C drive. You can post it here for us to look at.
That's what I thought but I don't see the file. Is there another method to get the information?

Thanks,
yeto

When you enter the command in the command screen does it just redisplay the prompt with out showing any error message? Note that there is a space between the word ipconfig and the / and another space between the word all and the word desktop.

Back
Top Bottom