Windows 7 exe has stopped working

im running vista and 7 on my dell xps m 1530 both 32 bit.
the problem is that whichever exe i try to start using 7 (except the ones that came preinstalled with 7) i get the crash msg saying that the exe has stopped working and windows is checking for a solution to the problem . And this happens with every single one of them.
all of these apps work fine on vista though.

if anybody out there knows a solution to this plz reply asap.

my specs are
t8400 with 2.1ghz dual core
3 gb ddr2 ram
8600m gt nvidia
320gigs hdd

thnx :)

im running vista and 7 on my dell xps m 1530 both 32 bit.
the problem is that whichever exe i try to start using 7 (except the ones that came preinstalled with 7) i get the crash msg saying that the exe has stopped working and windows is checking for a solution to the problem . And this happens with every single one of them.
all of these apps work fine on vista though.

if anybody out there knows a solution to this plz reply asap.

my specs are
t8400 with 2.1ghz dual core
3 gb ddr2 ram
8600m gt nvidia
320gigs hdd

thnx :)
Try running the exe files in compatibility mode with VISTA, that is right click and go to properties then compatibilty then change the OS to windows VISTA. Then launch the app to see if it works.

thnx 4 replying.

i already read the sticky thread and tried both vista mode and xp sp2 mode but to no avail.
the same programs run on my friends windows 7 normally

i reinstalled 7 thrice but the issue is still there.

ill give u a few of the programs that dont work
mozilla firefox 3.0.5
crysis warhead
fifa08
dc++
yahoomsgr9 setup
prince of persia (shows cant detect direct x 9 drivers!!!)
all of the dell drivers
etc.

Sounds like one of two things;
Your ISO was corrupt
You have malware.

Try redownloading the OS and reinstalling from a new download.

i cant download 4m microsoft website.
dunno why but dowwnload doesnt start also i ran a system check its free 4m malware.
what do i do now

ok i dont know how but a few exes are working now
these include firefox and dell touchpad etc
no luck with any of the games though

Last edited:
vlc.exe has stopped working

I'm having the same issue. Everything was running great up until this weekend, just the occassional memory dump every now and again. I first noticed it when handbrake quit working. So I'd thought I'd try megui thinking it was a compatability issue. Megui initially opened, but then caused a memory dump that killed the OS. So I thought I'd try VLC media player. It worked the first couple of times, but now I get the error message "vlc.exe has stopped working" and then the OS subsequently kills the process. Now I'm seeing this error message "exe has stopped working" more and more frequently with various programs. Doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason as to why. There's some cascading effect here that's slowly but surely crippling my system. Also, running in compatability mode seems to have no meaningful effect.

I'll be going back to Vista SP2 pretty soon if I can't get this fixed. An OS that doesn't run exe files is pretty useless.

System Specs:
Windows 7 x86 beta build 7000
DEP set to "AlwaysOff"
4gigs Corsair memory
AMD Phenom 9850
MSI K9A2 Platinum

Just realized something. All of these programs I'm having issue with were programmed in C++ (likely Cygwin or some variant). Could this be problem? Seems like the OS is roundly rejecting the com object as something whole and natural and "belonging."

---------------
Also just realized that the programs that throw the "exe has stopped working" error likely either shell out via a bat file or by marshaling the handle. Could this be it? Another Windows security "kill the script" fix?

Last edited:
I can't remember what it was called but some while ago there was a nasty trojan -- it would go through every directory in your computer and create a program 80 bytes long called directoryname.exe
so say you had 3 directories called fred joe bloggs you'd get 3 programs created fred.exe, joe.exe, bloggs.exe

These would then corrupt other .exe files every time you accessed a program in that directory. The programs were hidden as well so it would take some time before you noticed it -- by which time it was too late.

I never had this but I saw it on a few computers -- the only solution was to TOTALLY clean ALL the hard disks and totally re-write the MBR and sector 0 on all of the disks -- a nasty piece of trojan software.

I hope you haven't got this one but it does sound like something is broken on your machine.

Cheers
jimbo

Last edited:
I would say you have malware also.

If breaks the .exe extension in the registry

I have a registry fix for that, but don't know if it will work on Windows7

I've run Windows Defender on "full scan" and it hasn't found any malware, viruses, etc. In fact, I've had Windows Defender scheduled to run a full system scan every night since I've installed Windows 7. I would think that if the system was infected it would have found something by now. That is, of course, assuming that Windows Defender even has the capability to find such a trojan if it did in fact ever exist.

I've checked my program files and directories and don't see any suspiciously renamed exe's, so whatever that trojan was, this one isn't it. No, I'm afraid it's probably not a virus. I'm behind a linux nat and thoroughly scan all downloads and software prior to installation. A virus is highly unlikely.

I should mention that everything else I've installed works fine. This would include numerous games like COD4, F.E.A.R., Left 4 Dead, and many others. The programs I have problems with are all media encoding softwares like Megui, Handbrake, Nero 9, and VLC Media Player. None of these work, which is quite a disappointment since this Windows 7 OS is running on a quad processor with a raid 0 array. Would have been nice to see how it performs under that kind of load.

If you are familiar with the registry,

Open Regedit, and navigate to the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT branch, scroll down until you see the .exe entry.

It should read Default (value not set) Content Type should read application/x-msdownload.

Now scroll down to exefile. The Default data value should read Application. The editFlags entry should read 37 07 00 00. FriendlyTypeName should read @SystemRoot\System32\shell32.dll, 10156

DefaultIcon key should read %1. The Shell key should only have a data value of (value not set)

The Open key should have Default with a value of (value not set). The EditFlags should have a Data value of 00 00 00 00

The command key should have the default value set to %1 %.. The same value under IsolatedCommand should also read %1 %

Under runasuser, the Default value is (value not set). The HashLUAShield has no entry at all. Clicking on command gives you the same results as in the open command above.

The runasuser, The default value should read @shell32.dll,-50944. Extended should have no value set. SuppersionPolicyEX should have a Default value of {F211AA05-D$DF-4370-A2A0-9F19CO9756A7}

Under Shellex you will also find keys named ContextmenuHandlers, DropHandler, and PropertySheetHandlers.

I had to go through this long drawn out process as I couldn't use the registry fix reg file I have as my is working correctly.

If you find some strange entries other than the ones I've mention, save the .exe and exefile keys by choosing File > Export from Registry editor's Menu and save them to your desktop.

Then right-click on each file and choose Edit. I Notepad, copy all the lines and post them here with your next posting.

I would also suggest a better protection other than Windows Defender. You should have an independent Spyware Blocker, Antivirus and Firewall protection by third-parties.

You can get a one-yaer free subscription to PCtools Internet Security Suite from this page, which integrates all 3 in one package.
Link Removed due to 404 Error#

Last edited by a moderator:
Back