Windows 7 Explorer crashes when attempting to move taskbar from right to bottom

uhh186

So, recently I decided to move the windows taskbar to the right side of the screen to see if I liked it better over there. It turns out I did not, so I tried to make it go back to the bottom. Every time I try to move it to the bottom, now, explorer.exe crashes and the taskbar remains on the right.

The weird thing is, I can move it to the left no problem, but not to the top.
So top and bottom taskabar is fubar'd for some reason. I didn't install anything funky and I don't visit any sites that would install viruses (I only regularly visit Facebook, Google, XDA-Developers and DeviantArt, all which I believe to be safe -but maybe I was wrong)

Any ideas?

Code:
Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 6.1.7601.17567, time stamp: 0x4d672ee4
Faulting module name: Explorer.EXE, version: 6.1.7601.17567, time stamp: 0x4d672ee4
Exception code: 0xc000041d
Fault offset: 0x0000000000071cfe
Faulting process id: 0xa04
Faulting application start time: 0x01cc62ce9609dea0
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
Report Id: dab0aac0-cec1-11e0-820b-005056c00008
is the crash report.

uhh186:
Hello and welcome to the forums.
How are you moving the taskbar. If you are using your mouse to drag it to a different location on the screen.
Try right clicking on the taskbar and choosing properties and use the Taskbar location on screen: drop down to choose a top or bottom location and see if that makes any difference.
Regards
Randy

uhh186:
Hello and welcome to the forums.
How are you moving the taskbar. If you are using your mouse to drag it to a different location on the screen.
Try right clicking on the taskbar and choosing properties and use the Taskbar location on screen: drop down to choose a top or bottom location and see if that makes any difference.
Regards
Randy
This is indeed how I was attempting to move it to the bottom. The dragging method doesn't even drag it to the left, it just freezes immediately.

You can try using the System File Checker, by launching a elevated command prompt and typing
sfc /scannow
you might also consider a system restore point prior to the problem having manifested itself.
You can try some tender loving care
StartOrb->All Programs->Accessories->System Tools_>Disk Cleanup
and
StartOrb->All Programs->Accessories->System Tools_>Disk Defragmenter
But usually these types of issues are a result of third party programs, so....
have you installed, added, updated or tweaked any third party Explorer or Desktop addons, tweakers, shell overlays and the like.
Try safemode and see if the behavior is the same
Try a different user account (or create a new user) to see if the problem is unique to your profile.
Good luck, and keep us posted
Regards
Randy

Thank you very much Randy! The system file checker fixed the problem, whatever it was. Cheers!

Glad to hear it and of course you're welcome. Thanks for posting back and updating your thread with the solution that worked for you.
Thanks for joining our community and we hope to continue to see you around.
Best Wishes
Randy

Back
Top Bottom