Windows 7 Explorer.exe crashes on startup

omg

Hey guys first post here.

Anyhow, I have installed Windows 7 sucessfully numerous computers. However, when installing it on this old Toshiba laptop I am constantly getting errors. The error pops on as soon as I go inside Windows 7 Ultimate x86. In order to be able to open even My Computer and other features, I have had to launch IE or just get another file browser program that doesn't use the "explorer.exe" process.

I always get the error "Windows Explorer has stopped working" 1. Check online for a solution 2. Close the program.

It will come up no matter what so I just have to kill explorer.exe

This is the error.
---------------------------

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: explorer.exe
Application Version: 6.1.7600.16385
Application Timestamp: 4a5bc60d
Fault Module Name: StackHash_0a9e
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: ffc8164a
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409
If
the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

----------

I have tried searching many different things and tried many formulas none have worked. This was installed doing a format. I even reinstalled it again just to make sure. There are no programs on here since I can barely work the computer. The only way it is even getting internet is via a crossover cable to my wireless.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hello, and welcome to the Windows 7 Forums :)
Have you tried booting in safe mode? Post for instructions
Cheers!

Thank You for the Welcome Mitchell_A.

Yes I have booted into safe mode and explorer still crashes. The only to work within windows 7 is to kill explorer.exe there again. I ran the Windows 7 Disc and tried to have it search and repair errors. It found an error in the bootmgr and said it fixed a file. I thought this would be enough to fix the error, but it still persists. I cannot tell if its software related or the hardware is faulty. It is afterall and old 2.5 Toshiba SATA harddrive. But back when the computer had Windows Vista, thought in Windows it would not give the explorer.exe error like Win7 it did give it when I booted into safe mode only.

Since this is a fresh install I would consider wiping the whole hard drive out using GParted.

Download it here:
GParted -- Download

I would create a 55GB partition (formatted NTFS) for Windows 7, ans then run the install.

Once back inside Windows, you can go to Start > Run, and type diskmgmt.msc and create additional partitions in the unallocated space that's left.

I usually create at least one partition to install my 3rd party applications on, and a third for videos and music.

This all depends on the size of your hard drive.

Back