Windows 8 Finally fixed blue screens on friends computer!

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

I posted about my friend who was unsure whether the virus message he was getting was real or not.
He finally figured that it was real and clicking on it got rid of the message at least.

But I mentioned that he was getting constant blue screens when booting.

Yesterday I went to his house to help him set up his 3D monitor and I tackled the blue screen issue.
First I ran SFC /scannow, it came up clean, no corrupted or missing files.

I ran every virus and malware checker I had, MSE, SuperAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes, CCleaner's registry scanner etc.

Other than a few cookies I didn't find anything.

Then I started working my way through processes starting when Windows starts, (the blue screen happen before the loading Windows screen appears) I started finding things that I didn't recognise and looking them up online and removing them it they weren't necessary.

Finally I found the culprit.
Something called Mobogenie, which isn't a virus exactly.

I worked through the computer removing everything associated with it and when I was done the blue screens stopped.

I also found other malware when going through the processes that were not picked up by any of the scanners.

Anyway his computer is running like new now, everything is clean and tidy.

Mike

Good catch MIke....and job well done! I just found that on the wife's netbook that the kids were using....no BSOD's...my malwarebytes pro found it and cleaned it. Then went through the registry to clean it up...

Back
Top Bottom