Windows 7 Find Text "in" files

pkellner

Is there anything build into windows 7 that lets me find a text pattern (simple) in a set of files? I remember there was something like that in XP.

Sure is

Is there anything build into windows 7 that lets me find a text pattern (simple) in a set of files? I remember there was something like that in XP.

Yes, you can click "Start" and enter a word or string of words into the search box and it will find all documents on the harddrive containing that word or string of words. You need to be careful and not enter a single, common word such as "at" or "from", etc. because you will have an unmanagable number of "hits". Enter a string of words or phrase to search for your item if possible.

OK - how do I search for text in a particular file set, such as find the word nvidia in all .inf files????

Check this method

OK - how do I search for text in a particular file set, such as find the word nvidia in all .inf files????

I found Windows 7 almost equally unsatisfactory as Vista and I do not currently have it installed on any of my computers, so I cannot check this. Can you not simply enter <*nvidia*.inf> and find all instances of the word "nvidia"? Search may not work for hidden or system files though, so this may not work.

Well, in XP you pressed F3, then entered a file mask, such as *.inf, then entered the text you wanted to search for in that file subset, such as nvidia. I cannot find ANY way to accomplish this in W7 - as much as I love W7, the search functionality absolutely sucks.:mad:

Well, in XP you pressed F3, then entered a file mask, such as *.inf, then entered the text you wanted to search for in that file subset, such as nvidia. I cannot find ANY way to accomplish this in W7 - as much as I love W7, the search functionality absolutely sucks.:mad:
F3 does the trick. Just open the start menu and press F3 or press F3 on desktop.

I STILL cannot limit my search to a subset of files - it wants to search EVERYTHING! Unless I am just dense (I've only been working with Windows OSs since Windows 1.0!) I want to ONLY SEARCH .INF files, dag nabbit!!!

Type *.inf AND nvidia. If you are not searching indexed locations it will not search content. You must change the default in folder options, Search Tab to always include contents. You can also wait until it the end of the seacrh and press the contents button.

Back