Windows 7 Firewall. How to only allow Email internet access specific network

DaveBrock

Extraordinary Member
Hi,

I am running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.

Is there some way I can use Windows Firewall to only allow access to the internet for email (I use outlook 2013) and also say Chrome Browser?

Occasionally I use my iPhone to tether my windows 7 laptop, but I have a very limited data plan.

I would like to block Dropbox and Windows updates… and basically all programs except email and Chrome browser from having access to the internet… whenever I connect using my iPhone.

Could someone explain the steps on how to do this please?

It would be great if Windows Firewall could recognise that I am using my iPhone to connect to the internet via tether... and automatically apply some new profile specific to this internet connection?

If Windows Firewall cannot do this, can you suggest a good tool/application that could do this?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Well for starters blocking windows updates is a horrible idea since there are new security patches every two weeks and if you're using the computer on the internet you're asking for trouble. Second you won't be able to block everything and only allow web traffic with the windows firewall. You can limit the system to only allow traffic out ports 80,443 and your email ports. You will also want to allow ntp, dns and dhcp otherwise you won't have much luck using your email or internet.

Thanks Neemobeer,
I would connect using normal Wifi at the end of every day or so to update Windows etc.

The Firewall setting which I am trying to find out about, will only be used when I tether my laptop to my phone... while out and about during the day.

Are you saying that I can't use Windows Firewall to block everything.... but still allow surfing the web using Chrome? Could I not create a rule to allow Chrome?

Do I setup a New Profile to block everything... but allowing traffic out ports 80, 443 and making rules to allow ntp, dns, and dhcp (and I guess outlook.exe) ? Or do I setup 'Public Profile' do do this?

And is there some way I could associate this Profile with tethering to my phone... so that Windows Firewall will automatically only allow through mail and say Chrome whenever I tether to my phone?

There are only three firewall profiles 'Domain', 'Private' and 'Public' and they are tied to the network you are connected to. You can have multiple associated to each firewall profile. Just as an FYI lot's of applications, including Windows updates, use port 443 so the built in firewall won't be able to isolate just web traffic. For email you just need to look in the account settings and see what ports are being used for SMTP and either POP or IMAP (secure or not)

Back