Windows 7 Fix punkbuster kick?

nice answer. I'm playing CoD4 and i'm always kicked by punkbuster. I tried with compatibility too.

Have you tried running the game as administrator (right clicking the game, selecting properties, and going to the compatibility tab and checking run as admin)?

Punkbuster has said (it has been posted in numerous places) they will not support a beta OS. A few games do work...but the majority will not. No idea why. But, until Windows 7 is final and released I wouldn't count on a fix.

Punkbuster fix

I`ve been trying to get COD4 to work since I got Win7, and today I found a fix. I googled it and found out a fix thats working for me. First bring up the task manager and go to the services tab. Next click the services button in the bottom right corner (Click yes to UAC if your still using it). Look for PnkbstrA and PnkbstrB, on each do the following. Right click and go to properties, then under the Log On tab check the box that says "Allow service to interact with desktop". Thats it, no more kicks from punkbuster unless your really cheating, or the admins are jealous of your skills with a noob tube.

Thanks to Brian H. Madsen
And the link Link Removed - Invalid URL
Note I didn`t have a problem getting kicked after 25 min

From his page:

Edit: after about 25 minutes of play Punkbuster kicked me again with a driver issue…so, still no fix…will keep looking

I`ve been trying to get COD4 to work since I got Win7, and today I found a fix. I googled it and found out a fix thats working for me. First bring up the task manager and go to the services tab. Next click the services button in the bottom right corner (Click yes to UAC if your still using it). Look for PnkbstrA and PnkbstrB, on each do the following. Right click and go to properties, then under the Log On tab check the box that says \"Allow service to interact with desktop\". Thats it, no more kicks from punkbuster unless your really cheating, or the admins are jealous of your skills with a noob tube.

And the link Windows 7 Punkbuster fix - Brian H. Madsen - .Net Powered by Caffeine
Note I didn`t have a problem getting kicked after 25 min

Hey Pknyo,

the blog entry is mine and i've several people tell me that the fix worked for them - so it's worth trying it out.

i'm still getting kicked, but the time seems to vary, depending on what server i'm on. Still haven't managed to play a game to the end, but i think the "Disallowed Driver" error i'm getting is unrelated.

If you, or anybody else, has related problems with the fix, please either report it here on comment on my blog. I'll try my best to get a fix to it that's more "reliable".

Cheers
Brian H. Madsen

Hey Brian, just wanted to say thanks on the information about punkbuster and Windows 7. I had to restart every time I wanted to play COD4 until today, it was the only thing that I would vista for ( Especially since now I found out how to install GTA IV on Windows 7 :)!!!!!). I hope you didn`t think I was trying to take any credit for your intuitiveness in getting it working (when you said "Hello Pknyo, the blog entry is mine"), it worked for me and when I saw this thread with other having the same difficulties I wanted to share your advice to them. That`s why I wanted to make sure to give you credit and link to your site. I was kinda shocked tonight when I saw the email on my phone from post from the source, so I`m replying to tell you thank you for putting this out there for us. I have not had one problem with PunkBuster since. Once again, thanks.

Hey Brian, just wanted to say thanks on the information about punkbuster and Windows 7. I had to restart every time I wanted to play COD4 until today, it was the only thing that I would vista for ( Especially since now I found out how to install GTA IV on Windows 7 :)!!!!!). I hope you didn`t think I was trying to take any credit for your intuitiveness in getting it working (when you said "Hello Pknyo, the blog entry is mine"), it worked for me and when I saw this thread with other having the same difficulties I wanted to share your advice to them. That`s why I wanted to make sure to give you credit and link to your site. I was kinda shocked tonight when I saw the email on my phone from post from the source, so I`m replying to tell you thank you for putting this out there for us. I have not had one problem with PunkBuster since. Once again, thanks.

Hey Pknyo, no no no no - that wasn't quite why i said "the blog entry is mine" - you graciously gave me full credit for it in your post.

the reason for it was that i haven't visited these forums before (that i can recall anyways) and wanted to put myself out there if people were having other problems related to my fix - that way they could go directly to the horses mouth...so to speak :)

I'm glad it worked for you - i've had several other people tell me that it works for them as well, plus not to forget that it apparently also works for BF2 too...

i'm still battling some problems of my own but i think my install is faulty (or i've played around with things a bit too much at the moment) - i might re-install and see how that goes.

Sad thing really is that Evenbalance could/should have been the ones to put themselves out there to support the gaming community rather than simply just appear like "greedy" corporates :)

Anyways, us MVPs tend to get involved with all kinds of stuff and helping others is why we're here.

Lastly, if other people are having problems please provide some feedback so i can continue to look at how we can resolve it for the majority (at least, can't promise to fix all issues..can't even fix my own right now).

Cheers
Brian H. Madsen

p.s. gaming on Windows 7 rocks!!! pushing my M1710 to the limit at the moment but dang it's hawt!!

This fix above fixes the Unknown API kick, but still does not fix the Disallowed Driver deal, anybody got a solution to this one? I tried forcefully installing the ATI Vista 64 bit drivers but that didn't work. perhaps ATI needs to adjust their beta drivers?

Well I went back to vista because I cant live without COD4 :p But as soon as there is a valid fix without any errors I will go straight back to Windows7 Right away. Has anyone found a fixed for the Disallowed Driver thing everyone is talking about?

And the link Link Removed - Invalid URL
Note I didn`t have a problem getting kicked after 25 min[/quote]

hmm didnt work for me... I am using x64

Awesome guys thanks!

Now, I can't get the old Widescreen extension adder to work... Anyone? :confused:

Yea I am getting the OS Priviledge issue...

Last edited:
we have at least a half dozen guys in our clan running W7 64 bit, we play COD 5, which is a punkbuster game, and have not had issues, one guy did a pb update and thats about it, i have had no issues whatsoever with pb, video drivers another matter, currently using the 185.20, works best for me

I think it's just COD 4 and punkbuster, I'm not sure, but are you guys sure you're not getting kicked with Windows 7 64 bit and PB? cause if it works, I'm going to reinstall it.

Back