Windows 10 Folder access error after reinstall

aHumanError

Hello.

I have a partition holding my data and another for the Windows installation, I like to edit the save locations so that common folders (Documents, Music, Videos etc) all get redirected to my data drive, but since I reinstalled W10 it now complains saying "You don't currently have permission to access this folder." but I can click Continue and it'll eventually load the contents, seemingly a bit pointless.

Why is it doing this after I've reinstalled? Of course it has something to do with the folder security but I'm using the same copy of Windows on the same machine, using the same user credentials.

Is there a quick way to remedy this rather than to access each folder individually? And is there a way to avoid this in the future?

Finally changing the save locations after I've got full access again just isng working for some reason. I can select my data drive but the folders locations do not change, what's wrong?

Thanks.

Last edited:
it now complains saying "You don't currently have permission to access this folder." but I can click Continue and it'll eventually load the contents
This is normal and you should only have to do it once per-folder to set new permissions

Finally changing the save locations after I've got full access again just isng working for some reason
  • are you talking about account folders like the libraries or system storage?

Libraries are set on an account by account basis
you can relink them or set new ones by right clicking them from the main libraries folder

Screenshot (96).png

system storage = press [windows key] then select "settings" ... then system
Screenshot (93).png

scroll down to "storage" ... this interface will show you the true data usage and not just the basic usage i.e, how much of the c system drive is really being used by windows.
Screenshot (94).png

Screenshot (95).png

Hey thanks for your response.

28bzjmu.png

Eventhough I have my data drive selected, it does not forward any of the folders. I don't actually have Libraries in explorer, either. I can right click each folder and edit the location that way but I believe duplicates appear afterwards.

The way I did it last time was to just edit the location via the settings above, but this time round (Since all that access error, and even after I've resolved it) it doesn't seem to work. Also I taken ownership of all files and folders on my data drive because for some reason it was set to system.

Hi,
What was the reason you reinstalled W10 may we ask?

Also, is your D: drive a partition on your bootdrive, or is a 2nd physical inside your computer or a usb connected external drive?

If it's the latter and not the former, it is not Best Practice to do your W10 install onto 2 hard drives that are simultaneously connected to the same Motherboard. If your 2nd drive (D: data drive) is indeed a 2nd physical hard drive, I suggest that you backup everything on both drives first to external media, and then REMOVE the 2nd drive (D: data drive) from the computer. Then run your W10 reinstall on the C: bootdrive. Ensure you have Internet access, and that everything in W10 appears to work normally such as being able to bring up the Metro start menu, settings, options, etc. Then and only then, reinstall and/or reconnect your 2nd drive (D: data drive) to your computer and fire up your W10. Chances are all the preferences to save folder locations you had in your previous W10 install are now gone and all reset to the C: drive.

Next, follow Norway's instructions to you in POST #2 above, and reset any and all folders to point to your D: data drive. Ensure that in Windows Explorer your 2nd drive (D: data drive) shows up in the "THIS PC" item in the left hand nav bar in Windows explorer. All should work normally at this point.:up:

Since we know nothing about your hardware, such as Make/Model of computer, is it a desktop PC or a laptop? Is it an OEM brand (Dell, HP, Acer, Gateway, Toshiba etc.), or is it a self-built PC or Custom PC? it's gonna be hard to help you without additional information if my reinstall suggestion doesn't do the trick. But, I'd be willing to say that you are running older hardware with W10, and if one or both of your hard drives were brought over from an earlier system such as Win7/8/8.1, it's quite likely one or both of your hard drives are failing, and that's the cause of your problem. You won't know this until you perform my W10 reinstall with only the 1-drive as suggested. If it still fails, there's a very high likelihood that your D: data drive if it is indeed a 2nd physical hard drive is failing or failed completely. In that case, you'll need to test it with the free SEATOOLS drive diagnostic. If you run both the short and long tests, and SEATOOLS returns any errors on that drive, it has failed and must be replaced.:waah: Here's a link on how to do that:
Hard Drive Diagnostic Procedure

Many of my Clients have several hard drives, printers, webcams, HD/LED TVs, firesticks, and other stuff plugged into their computer, and not knowing very much about upgrades they click on the free W10 install flag and run the upgrade. They they have massive problems with their devices and have to call someone like me to sort it all out. The natural instinct is that when you install or upgrade a new version of windows such as W10, it will handle upgrading all these devices and all their drivers the first time, flawlessly without any problem across hundreds of different device types and tens of thousands of driver versions for those devices. Unfortunately, it's counterintuitive to disconnect everything as I suggest and ONLY run the upgrade or install on the C: bootdrive; but that's the way we Pros do it.

Let us know how things go and don't forget to test that D: drive. Of course, if your D: drive is not a 2nd physical drive, but just rather a 2nd partition on your bootdrive, most of this isn't applicable. However, it would be prudent to test your C: bootdrive with the tools we gave you above just in case.

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

I reinstalled W10 because I tend to do that every so often. Over time I end up with a bunch of software on it that I never use, I change a lot of aspects of the system and the software on it, I feel as though theres always stuff left behind after you remove software. I also do not use any AV other than Windows Defender because they're either heavy on resources or plastered in adverts and/or promotions, and of course you have to update everytime you boot the damn thing up; nothing worse than booting up then been told you have to restart for AV updates to install... so I reinstall for peace of mind, too. But really it's not something I do every week.

My data drive is just a partition, I have my main OS partition and my data. My laptop is less than a year old, it has 8GB of ram, 1TB drive, 2.2Ghz, it also has touchscreen I never use. It came with W10, although it didn't run as good as it does now because it was full of garbage like trialware and pointless ASUS software so of course I wiped it, set up my partitions and reinstalled; same thing I do when I buy any laptop. I doubt the drive's defective but even if it blew up tomorrow I wouldn't be that worried since I do have NAS too.

Getting back on topic, I'm only really bothered about this changing locations because it's (supposably) much easier than in previous versions of windows and it doesn't seem to work for me since I reinstalled. Good old days of XP where you change one path and all your data is on one drive are gone, since then it's been a tedious task of manually changing each folder shortcut, and even then (in Vista/7) duplicates appear you then have to remove. So of course I was happy to see them include this option (finally) in this version of Windows, and it worked... initially.

Anyway I do have it working now because I done it manually again (Back to basics) I have no clue why it didn't work but I kinda gave up troubleshooting and just put it down to another bug they haven't ironed out relating to either folder security or rights.

But thanks for all your input :)

Back