Windows 7 Free Anti-Virus .vs. Purchased Anti-Virus

I have tried everything with SeaMonkey Mail and Thunderbird,two Outlook Express clones. But no matter what I try, nothing works. I cannot get that email up and running. And whatever information about my http. or POP server that I type in does not make any difference. As it still does not work.

Someone said it is not Outlook Express or it's clones fault that I cannot understand http. or POP. But it is the fault of whoever invented that system.

Because that system does not work, as even when you do type in the right information,it just does not accept it. And I have read that you only get an http. or POP server address on paid Yahoo email not the free version.

So if that is true, then Yahoo Mail won't work on Outlook Express or other email clients like it,if you are using the free version.

Outlook Express and clones is-THE EMAIL THAT NOBODY CAN USE. And so no matter how hard you try, you just won't win. You won't be able to use it.

But on a happier note here is what you CAN use. Windows Live Messenger and Aim Messenger are easy to use and you can do live video and email text chat.

Instantbird is an easy to use email text messenger that is based on Pidgin but is easier to use than Pidgin. You cannot do voice chat on Instantbird, but you can connect multiple email accounts,Aim,Windows Live,Google,Yahoo and others. And send and receive live email text messages to contacts on different networks. As well as send and receive offline email text messages.

Pidgin is difficult to use. Although the Linux version of Pidgin works better than the Windows version. I don't know why. On the Pidgin website it says that Pidgin only supports voice chat on Google Talk.

But I found that I could only do voice and video chat on the Linux version of Pidgin to Google Talk. But on the Windows version of Pidgin you cannot do voice or video chat to contacts on Google Talk.

I think that despite the website saying that you can do voice and video chat on Windows Pidgin,you can't. As there is either no voice or video chat plug in to make calls to Google Talk, or it is not working on Windows.

But as I have tried this on other computers,it seems that you can only do voice and video chat to Google Talk on Linux Pidgin, not Windows Pidgin. As it worked on Linux Mint, but not on Windows.

Also Linux Pidgin is different and easier to use than Windows pidgin. And Linux Pidgin works, but Windows Pidgin,does not work well at all.

So Pidgin fine on Linux but not on Windows. So Windows users are better off using Instantbird which is great for Windows, and also, Nimbuzz.

Nimbuzz is an email text messenger like Instant bird but you can do voice calls to contacts on Google Talk Windows Live and Nimbuzz contacts. But not video chat and Nimbuzz supports Facebook and many other networks. Although you can only do voice chat to contacts on the three that I mentioned. But you can still do email text messaging to contacts on all of the other networks it supports.

And then you have got Aim,or ICQ. And you can sign into ICQ with your Aol or Aim account, and chat to contacts on Aim from there.

Aim and ICQ are exactly the same as one another. Maybe they were the same company at one time. Because it is interesting that you can sign into ICQ with your Aim account. And that you don't have to have an ICQ account,although you can if you wish.

Aim and ICQ are both good choices but ICQ is lighter on the system. That is it uses less files than Aim. But if you like both you can install Aim and ICQ side by side each other on your computer. Both are good choices for any version of Windows,Windows XP,Windows Vista and Windows 7.

And then there is of course Google Talk. There is the desktop messenger that does voice chat only. And the video plug in for voice and video chat,that works in most web browsers.

Although, the video plug in has not worked for several months now, but the voice chat does. And if you go onto Meebo a web based messenger, you can do video chat to contacts on Google talk from there. I do.

And yes,I did try Skype but that did not work.When Skype tested my computer it said my Internet connection was good. But my computer was too slow to make video calls. I have a Netbook,but what they said was rubbish.

As I have made video calls with,Aim,ICQ,Windows Live Messenger and Google Talk. And all of them work.

And on Skype you can only make video calls to people with a Skype account. So that is no good to me anyway.And I think that Skype is not user friendly, and very commercial.

So Aim,ICQ,Windows Live Messenger and Google Talk are the best to use. And then you have got normal email. Which is Aol Mail,Hotmail,G.Mail and many others. Where you can send and receive emails anywhere.

So why use Outlook Express and clones. Which is THE EMAIL THAT NOBODY CAN USE.

When you have all of these other programs. Which are-THE EMAIL THAT EVERYBODY CAN USE. And can offer you so much more.

And the main thing is that you can use them.

You cannot use Outlook express and it's clones. Andrea Borman.

It's a good thing you guys are here to inform others against all the misinformation that Andrea likes to spew. Think of the children!

It's a good thing you guys are here to inform others against all the misinformation that Andrea likes to spew. Think of the children!
On that note I feel it's important to mention here that if the reader is a newcomer to computing that he or she takes Andrea with a grain of salt,
actually a whole salt shaker's worth.
Misinformation is a mild term for what she posts.

For the purposes of clarity in this thread there are scores of great mail client programs available and most are easy to setup.
It is users choice.
Some require a little effort from the user but many have wizards to help.
My favorite is Thunderbird, now at version 3.1.9.
It uses a Wizard to simplify the process.

In most cases all that is needed is the user supply the email address and password and the Wizard does the rest.
With gmail it does default to imap but the user can switch to POP easily.
As to Andrea's claim that essential info like pop server and smtp server not being available well that's bull.
If the wizard doesn't find that info it is easily obtained.

For ISP based or in my case my GoDaddy domain based email account the info can be had on their web site or through a toll free call
to tech support.

Gmail and Hotmail have information on their web pages.

Yahoo doesn't support free pop yet. They provide pop for an annual fee.

All it take a little effort on the part of the user, something Andrea can't be bothered with.

She has posted gross misinformation in all other threads she posts to.
She is NOT and will probably never be an expert and her advice is best ignored.

Actually her advice in this thread, that is actually about free vs. paid anti virus software is that
no one needs A\V software
She is not to be taken seriously on this issue either.

Last edited:
Well,when I and the other people I asked to help me figure out how to use Outlook Express and clones,Thunderbird and SeaMonkey Mail. There was no wizard that told us what the http. or POP address is. It never told us nothing. The only thing that trying to use Outlook Express and clones told me after every attempt to use it failed. Was that no one can use it and I cannot use it either.

So what is the point in trying to use a software so bad that you cannot use it. When there are many other things on the computer that you CAN use.

Aim Messenger,or ICQ or Instantbird are all very easy to use products. And you can use normal email,Hotmail,G.Mail,Yahoo Mail and others. And there are also many other chat messengers too many to mention here that you can get for Windows.

So don't waste your time with Outlook Express and it's clones. There is so many other software that is better than that,and it works. Outlook Express and clones don't work. Andrea Borman.

Well,if adults cannot use-THE EMAIL THAT NOBODY CAN USE. That is Outlook Express and clones,Thunderbird,SeaMonkey Mail,Windows Live Mail and others. I don't think that children would be able to use it either.

And when I say I do not think that you need an anti-virus program. I am really talking about myself. I do not like anti-virus programs on my computer.

And so I do not have any. I just use Windows Defender and Malicious Software Removal Tool-MRT for short. Which is updated by Windows Update twice a month.

And I have never had any computer viruses,since I got my three Netbooks. Two that I bought last year and my new one I bought a month ago. Andrea Borman.

As I don't use my laptop in public places like coffee shops. Where you connect to public Wifi and this caries a risk of viruses and some one hacking your computer. And also on Windows search it says that if you use public wifi and set it to home network. Then other people can see your computer and network unless you turn off network discovery.

But I never take my laptop out of the house so if I am only using it at home. I don't think that someone can hack my computer. I suppose I could be the unlucky one that gets a computer virus but even if I did have an anti-virus program. I could still get a virus with that.

When I looked at my friends computer that had Microsoft Security Essentials,it just looked like an elaborate version of Windows Defender.

So it is not worth installing it. Andrea Borman.

Last edited:
I have been using Norton for the past 4 years. Not that I am a fan of Norton but I have been get used to the software... In the past few days, my IE is starting to mysteriously crash upon executing it. After using the IE safe mode with all plugin disabled and manually turn on one by one, turns out it was the Norton IE bar causing the crash. I disabled it and IE no longer crash... I am not sure why this happened as it never happened before. I am going to try Kaspersky...

I was planning to open a thread about Norton 360 vs Kaspersky PURE but since this thread is somewhat related to my question I will just post it here...

Well,when I and the other people I asked to help me figure out how to use Outlook Express and clones,Thunderbird and SeaMonkey Mail. There was no wizard that told us what the http. or POP address is. It never told us nothing. The only thing that trying to use Outlook Express and clones told me after every attempt to use it failed. Was that no one can use it and I cannot use it either.

So what is the point in trying to use a software so bad that you cannot use it. When there are many other things on the computer that you CAN use.

Andrea here is a link telling you how to set up your email using Outlook Express. As the one commercial on tv says: Even a caveman can do it. This article was posted on the internet in 2003. I still don't understand why you find it so difficult to use. :confused:

How to Set Up Outlook Express

I have been using Norton for the past 4 years. Not that I am a fan of Norton but I have been get used to the software... In the past few days, my IE is starting to mysteriously crash upon executing it. After using the IE safe mode with all plugin disabled and manually turn on one by one, turns out it was the Norton IE bar causing the crash. I disabled it and IE no longer crash... I am not sure why this happened as it never happened before. I am going to try Kaspersky...

I was planning to open a thread about Norton 360 vs Kaspersky PURE but since this thread is somewhat related to my question I will just post it here...

I don't know why Norton IE bar caused your computer to crash. I had a problem with mine in that the cards and logins quit working. With that I ended up uninstalling Norton and reinstalling it. Have had no problems since. You might want to try that if you haven't already.

I am sure someone here will have an answer for you. I am not an expert as many here are.

As for Kaspersky I haven't heard anything bad about it.

I stopped using any Norton security product years ago.
I ran AVG for a few years until the product became too intrusive.
I now use Avast! v 6.0
The important thing is to find a product either free or paid that you like and use it.
It is irresponsible today to not use an anti virus program.
A large part of the spam issue is caused by machines infected without the owners knowledge.
These machines are actively busy spamming the world again without the users knowledge.
I'm sure Andrea will disagree but she is wrong.
She says that this a matter of personal preference and so it should be but in the same breath she advises that no one should use such
a product.
This is not sound advice.
It is the responsibility of every Windows user to do everything they can to protect their machines if only to help protect
the rest of us from spam.

Last edited:

Andrea here is a link telling you how to set up your email using Outlook Express. As the one commercial on tv says: Even a caveman can do it. This article was posted on the internet in 2003. I still don't understand why you find it so difficult to use. :confused:

How to Set Up Outlook Express

But I have got Windows 7 and they don't have Outlook Express on Windows 7 or on Windows Vista. Outlook Express is made only for Windows XP and the versions of Windows before that Windows 2000,Windows 98 and 95.

But there are many clones of it. For Windows Vista-Windows Mail and Windows 7-Windows Live Mail. As well as Thunderbird which is for Windows and Linux.

So the set up guide should work on all of those.

I will read that post but I still do not think that I or anybody else will be able to get any of these emails up and running.

In SeaMonkey Mail I tried again on Friday a few days ago. I put in pop.gmail.com as my server for both incoming and outgoing,like Google said. But I just got a message saying the POP server has timed out. I don't understand this one either. And I did enable POP in my G.Mail.

So no matter what I do or try I just cannot win.

Outlook Express and it's clones are-THE EMAIL THAT NOBODY CAN USE.

Unless something can prove me and everybody else wrong. Andrea Borman.

Last edited:
But I have got Windows 7 and they don't have outlook Express on Windows 7 or on Windows Vista. Outlook Express is made only for Windows XP and the versions of Windows before that Windows 2000,Windows 98 and 95.

But there are many clones of it. For Windows Vista-Windows Mail and Windows 7-Windows Live Mail. As well as Thunderbird which is for Windows and Linux.

So the set up guide should work on all of those.

I will read that post but I still do not think that I or anybody else will be able to get any of these emails up and running.

In SeaMonkey Mail I tried again on Friday a few days ago. I put in pop.gmail.com as my server for both incoming and outgoing,like Google said. But I just got a message saying the POP server has timed out. I don't understand this one either. And I did enable POP in my G.Mail.

So no matter what I do or try I just cannot win.

Outlook Express and it's clones are-THE EMAIL THAT NOBODY CAN USE.

Unless something can prove me and everybody else wrong. Andrea Borman.
Only you are wrong Andrea.
The only proof I need is that I and many. many other computer user has no trouble using email clients daily.

If nobody can use those email clients I guess those millions of people who do use them are nobodies. Go figure.

Try this
mail.gmail.com or try pop3.gmail.com
for outgoing try this
smtp.gmail.com
I am not saying this will work and since I cannot see you machine and the instructions you are looking at I can only try to help

have you a friend that uses Outlook Express if they do may they can set it up for you!!
Millions of people use Outlook express daily for e-mail along with millions that use the other various kinds of e-mail programs.
So one can surmise it is not the programs fault or failure but the users.

Well,I thought that maybe I could not use that email could be because my Internet service provider may have blocked something. A server or POP or SMTP but I don't even know what that is anyway.

But I have tried using that email on computers in Internet cafes outside my home and it's the same problem.

I cannot use that kind of email.

And yes,I did read that link about how to set up Outlook Express. I was directed to that website on Friday when I searched on Google.

And I have done all that the website said, but it still did not work. I tried it with SeaMonkey Mail on Friday.

I still cannot use that email. So it does not look like I or anybody else will be able to use it in the future. Andrea Borman.

Good grief, millions of people use all that stuff. Think about it
But first put on an antivirus like MSE so you don't start spaming the rest of us, simple
/unsubscribe

I used to use Linux Mint but gave up using it because Linux is not user friendly like Windows is. And I noticed that when I set up Linux Mint it said that we don't need to install anti-virus on Linux as it is a secure system.

Well,I suppose you could say that. As I wanted to get rid of my password on Linux. So I would not have to log in with a password and have to enter it every time I installed software and made changes to my computer on Linux.

Because on Windows you don't have to have a password if you don't want one. So I don't have a password on Windows. And so on Windows I have freedom to restart my computer and make changes to it without having to enter any password.

But on Linux I was not able to remove my password or disable it. So although I was able to get out of logging in with my password,by enabling auto log in. I still had to enter it if I wanted to do anything else on my computer while on Linux. As it would not let me remove it.

That is one of the reasons I don't like Linux. But now I am just using Windows, I don't have to worry about having a password, as you do not have to have one on Windows if you do not want one.

And the good thing about Windows is that you control how your computer runs, not the operating system.

But on Linux it is different, and you cannot even install the software you want. Basically,if it is not in the package manager you cannot have it.

But I am sure that even though on Linux they do not have anti-virus software, you could still get a virus on Linux,just like you could on Windows. Although some people think it's the other way round.

But I am happy to tell you that I have no viruses or malware on my computers and have not had since the first day I used them,or before that.

So if Linux users don't have anti-virus software on their system. Why should we Windows users have it,if we don't need it?

Well,I don't need it anyway. Andrea Borman.

Last edited:
Well good for you, however it is not prudent to run a system that has access to the net without a anti virus program. Just install Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) it is easy to use takes up few resources.
Remember a little protection is better than none.
If you do happen to get a Trojan or virus or malware in the future, you may not get much sympathy because of your attitude toward not wanting to run an anti virus program
best of luck in the future with your endeavors using a computer

Back
Top Bottom