Windows Vista Games keep running in windowed mode

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
I've got a little bug which isn't that bad but still quite annoying.. When-ever I run a DX10 game it will start in windowed mode (mind you this is specifically only two games). The fix is a simple unticking of the 'windowed' box in the games options and I'm back to full screen again. I've searched high and low to try and find an answer as to why this is happening. I've tried different drivers and all sorts of weird and wonderful methods to try and get to the bottom of this but to no avail... I do know that if I don't apply the released patches to the games then it doesn't happen although I've also had the games running with patches installed without getting the windowed crap at the start... It's slowly driving me mad as I'd just like to know the reason why this is happening...
Anyone have any ideas?

BTW.. the two games are Hellgate and Crysis.

Hi Kemical. It may not be a bug, with so many new computers now having wide screen monitors, ie, laptops and such, lots of games run better in windowed mode. Certainly my Microsoft FSX does on the laptop WS and I have it on a CRT monitor PC as well where it always starts full screen. I had thought it was just forward thinking by the programers
Douglas

Hi Douglas,
thanks for your input. I'm pretty sure I'm missing something somewhere, an obscure little setting which I've obviously ticked in the past (hence the games starting correctly) but for the life of me I can't think what! I reformatted twice yesterday in the search for an answer. I've now let the matter go for the moment otherwise I'm just going to end up going mad lol..

Well after much hair pulling and gnashing of teeth I've found a fix of sorts.. Over the last few days of trying to find a solution I started to realise the problem lay in the desktop area and how it was treating DX10. On the one hand it had to shut down aero to run the game and then on the other it had to run DX10.. I think this is why it kept defaulting to a window. So I installed another DX10 title 'World in Conflict', which doesn't have the same sort of options as the other two games.. Anyway it worked.. Don't ask me why..But it does, perhaps it carries slightly different software or a different registry key, maybe one day I'll find out. At least tonight I can sleep a little easier, I hate having problems I cannot fix!.. :)

Back