Windows 8 Games that work.

Yea, I have a hard time getting on. I have a thing about changing my password just cause some random glitch causes a system to not like it. I love beta testing, but I have to say that I refuse to change my password for a bogus reason.

Ok you guys are probably going to think I'm some kind of weirdo but The only games I like are Solitaire and word games. How do I make the classic Windows 7 games work on Windows 8?

I just read that they are not included in the beta as yet but I was wondering if they can be installed somehow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok you guys are probably going to think I'm some kind of weirdo but The only games I like are Solitaire and word games. How do I make the classic Windows 7 games work on Windows 8?

I just read that they are not included in the beta as yet but I was wondering if they can be installed somehow.

That's Ok. I found a game to play.

Sorry I was looking, but I didn't find a way to get the classic Windows games to run. I guess you could copy the .exes and see if that will work. No garante though.

For more years than I really want to admit to, I've been playing MS's Classic Solitaire. I love that game and sometimes win as many as six in a row. I use it daily to keep my 'Hand--Eye' coordination as acute as possible.
Anyway, when I first tested Vista, I saw that some hacker had revamped good ol' Sol to something out of Star Wars. I was furious and frantic at the same time. But the solution to my problem was really pretty simple......

I grabbed "Sol.exe" and "cards.dll" off of my XP install and transplanted them into the root dir of C: on Vista. (to play the game, you must have both files)
With a shortcut to Sol.exe on my desktop I could play my old classic Solitaire on Vista. Works the same on Win-7. & Win-8.
I found that many of my customers felt the same way I did about Sol, so I wrote a little batch file to load the two Sol files from my Utilities Flash Drive into Vista. Win-7 or Win-8.

What's old is new again.

:cool:

Sorry I was looking, but I didn't find a way to get the classic Windows games to run. I guess you could copy the .exes and see if that will work. No garante though.

Naiya,
I think you'll find that each game has a .dll file to make it work. Sol.exe required 'cards.dll' in the same directory.

Good Luck,

That's Ok. I found a game to play.

I found a third party Solitaire game.

Alexei Solitaires Collection free Download

I like the Windows 7 version best but this is ok til they put out a version of Windows 8 that includes it. I heard they left it out of the first beta but plan on putting it in a future version.

The thing is I have it in my Windows 7 installation that's in the other partition of my computer. I can't play it out of that directory though. I've run third party apps like that in a dual boot set up before. Oh well, go figure.

Point of order!

There is no Beta of Win-8 as of this date. We're playing around with the Developers Preview version.
Beta is yet to come..... when?, who knows. There are still many things missing that we might expect to be a part of an official Beta and for sure in the final release.
If you're looking for more wallpapers and themes, there is a link on that page where you can download them.
I downloaded the "City Lights" theme. It's quite nice.

But you can still do as I said. Copy sol.exe and cards.dll from your older OS and put them in the root directory of Win-8, then make a shortcut to Sol.exe and put that on your desktop. The game will play just fine. I'm doing it, with the old XP version, so I'm not just guessing here.
I hope that helps.

Happy Holidays Everyone!

Just for the record:
Guild Wars
Guild Wars: Factions
Guild Wars: Nightfall
Guild Wars: Eye of the North
All seem to work as expected. I'm mostly playing Factions at the moment, but they are all part of the same client so...

I have just joined here. I can say that serious sam 3 does not work with the consumer preview 64 bit. I am checking into it as it maybe antivirus related (serious sam 3 does not like zone alarm, mind you neither does win 8). One game I know that does work is syndicate, I mean the 2012 version. The only thing that may set you off is that it gives a C++ error. Just skip it and the game works fine.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 works well (as it did on the dev preview)
Tiger Woods 07 works

So far every title I tried works well, UT3, StarCraft II, Wolfenstein(2009), CODWaW, Skyrim, NFSMW, Jedi Academy and The Force Unleashed I and II(in some, the performance is a few frames lower than win7).You may need to install the DirectX 9 SDK's for some to work, but there should not be any serious issues.

stueycaster, good news, solitaire is in Windows 8 CP, and it is now part of Games for Windows Live LMAO
Thanks. I have it. I didn't know about Games for Windows Live though.

I just noticed you live in Liberty Hill. I used to live in Austin.

I just posted this in another thread "What are you playing right now".

Right now? Well, up to one minute ago, I was playing a 16 bit version of "MahJongg" from 1996, installed from a 3.5" floppy disk.
Yes, I HAVE been playing that game for the past 18 years.
MahJongg96.jpg

How's that for backward compatibility?

Win 832 did stop and ask me if I wanted to Activate 16 bit compatibility, during the install. That was neat!

I've also imported the card games from Win-XP, and they run just fine on Win-8.
(you'll also need to import "Cards.dll" to make those card games work.)

Play Safe!

The Doctor :cool:

NOTE: While Windows 8 32 bit, does have 16 bit (backward) compatibility, Windows 8 64 bit does not. Boo Hoo!
So when choosing a version of Win-8 to run on my own computer, someday, I'll choose the 32 bit version.

Last edited by a moderator:
WoW...WoW...I have no clue what to say after that so...WoW...LMAO That is a good prospect though. Think about all the games like C&C and Fallout, that have such a hard time running on some OSes,being able to just run on 8. Very interesting, and a great advancement in gamming.

It's very possible, that anyone who's been around computers for 20 years or more, has a favorite game or program that's 16bit, that they would like to resurrect.
Windows 8/32 is a great Platform (OS) on which to run that old program.

We all know what's missing in Win-8, but in spite of that, I've found workarounds for almost everything. The fact that Win-8/32 does have backward compatibility, is a huge PLUS.

And the fact that we don't have to go scrounging for hardware drivers is another HUGE PLUS.

Cheers Mates!
The Doctor :cool:

Why?
Are you still not aware that there is NO START button? (also called the START ORB)
Or, that there is no Start menu or any Programs menu or any quick way to make a new restore point?
Or, Or, Or..... where should I stop?

My turn..... why would you even ask me that?

Lot of emphasis on the start button, which was a pretty icon. I miss the contents, with my .exes in folders. But got it sorted now.

Back