Windows 10 Google/MSN Slow response

Ron Binmore

Google and MSN Bing search engines are extremely slow to open when selected. I have done a spyware and malware check and nothing has been found. Can anyone tell me if there is a cure for this problem please. ?

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply. I took the Ping test, see the attached screen shot. What do you think, is it ok or is there a problem please??

Ron

Attachments

• Ping Test.png
    Ping Test.png
    341.5 KB · Views: 428
Hi

Those look better then mine...
Ping 21 ms, Download Speed 29 Mbps, Upload 6.2 Mbps.

The only place I'm faster is in the Upload category.

What are you using for your browser?
I use Chrome, sometimes when it's not performing up to par, I unistall and reinstall it and it gets things back to normal.

There are so many settings involved with browsers it's hard to pin anything down.

If you are not using Chrome you could try and install it and see if it performs better.
At least if it does that would be a clue that it's the browser software that's causing the problem.

Mike

Hi Mike,
I picked up the recommendations you gave someone else a while ago who was also having trouble with slow MSN and Google search engines.and downloaded CC Cleaner and ran that, also De Fragger. It's been running all day and has only just arrived at 2% defragged with another 2% to go. It is telling me it will take a day to complete the exercise! I also have Chrome installed now so if and when this defrag comes to an end and if I am still alive, it will be interesting to see if there is any difference.

Hi

You only need to do the complete defrag the first time.
After that, select the "File List" tab before or, after you run Analyze.

Just click the box next to Filename to select the fragmented files and it will defrag all of the files in just a minute or so, sometimes only seconds.

I do it every couple of days for all of my drives and keep everything up to date.

You can stop and resume the defrag process whenever you want to.

It will keep what you have already done and continue to defragment the stuff that's not done yet.

It takes a long time the first time you do it, but I've only done the complete defrag once.

Mike

Hi Mike,
The computer was running all day. evening and I left it running overnight too. It finished the defrag round about 5-30am this marring (18 /02). I will certainly keep it up to date once a week in the future as I don't want to go through all that againg. I must say, the machine is working a lot faster than it was so thanks for your help and advice. I haven't tried to open Google yet or MSN so it will be interesting to see what happens there.

Hi,

Just under half full and its 63GB. I keep a lot of pictures on there, along with a lot of church stuff as I run our Parish web site.

Defragger.jpg
Defragger.jpg Mike,

You said for me to click the box next to File Name to select the fragmented files. I don't have a box like that so I have attached a screen shot so you can see what I do have. Have I got the wrong end of the stick here please??

Ron

Something to remember for next time, the defrag of MS (right click on the disk > Properties > Extra) does it a lot faster....

Really hope you solved your problem, I won't come in again,
Henk

Not a problem Henk, always pleased to receive help from anyone. Am I looking for all those squares to be blue ro will there be other colours too
Defrag squares.png
Defrag squares.png ?

Attachments

• Defrag squares.png
    Defrag squares.png
    286.7 KB · Views: 400
Just a friendly FYI even if this isn't the case, but if you have a SSD drive you absolutely never want to defrag them. SSD do not suffer performance problems due to fragmentation and defrags will severely reduce the life of a SSD drive. SSD do see performance issues when they are extremely full though due to the nature of how data is written.

Hi

Yes, never defrag your SSD they don't need it, but leave some free space as Neemobeer said.
If possible don't put anything other then your Windows install on your SSD drive.

Use a conventional drive for programs and storage.

The file tab is as shown in the image below inside the red box...

Defraggler_zpsjqycto7c.jpg

I run this on each of my drives once or twice a week.
Sometimes when I'm doing video editing and the files are really big, I use this to defrag a specific file.

You would be surprised how much difference it can make.
I've actually had video creation fail, until I defragment the file then it goes through.

Mike

PS, I just noticed that Ron answered the question about where the file tab is. LOL

Back
Top Bottom