Googlebar not working in IE 11

nichosi

Hi,

Google bar in IE 11 (w8.1) is enabled but does not show up, instead I get an X on left hand side.

Anybody knows how to get it to work?

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Microsoft MVP
Hi Nichosi,
have you looked under the settings tab for 'manage add-ons'? You should see Toolbars at the top and any related apps which hopefully should just need enabling.
I feel I must also warn you though that app such as Toolbars do make your system more open to attack as these are sometimes used as a way into the system. Please make sure your running decent anti-virus apps.

nichosi

Went there disabled everything & nothing happened, still the same.

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Microsoft MVP
Did you see the actual Google Toolbar listed? If so was it enabled?

nichosi

Yes was enabled.

With w8.1 what will happen if I use my w8 dvd will it repair my system?

Last edited:

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Microsoft MVP
It will also return your install back to 8 instead of 8.1. Have you tried re-installing the Google Tool bar? Got to Programs via the control panel and remove the Toolbar then simply re-install.

nichosi

Thanx,

1. I did that with g.bar several times already with no use. I'll try repair.

2. Now with win8, from what you said if I use the w8 dvd it will get rid of 8.1 & revert to w8? it sounds simple.

I read that once 8.1 is in you cannot uninstall it.

This 8.1 was forced upon us without knowing it was upgrading.

I inserted the DVD in the w8.1 laptop, it asked for the ID nos. I made sure twice I typed them correctly, took ages to check them & then said are not the correct ones.

Did the same on my PC, typed same ID, it was accepted & proceeded to install but, I was not sure if the "Repair" would come up so aborted the install.

If it did not asked to repair & went installing w8 would I loose all I had on the system? ....nick

nichosi

Thanx

The Enhanced Protected Mode was already Turned OFF (UNTICKED), further more I turned it ON & then OFF again with no result.

kemical

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Microsoft MVP
Hi Nichosi,
try running this app:
https://www.malwarebytes.org/

Find command prompt right click on it and run as admin. Type:
sfc /scannow
Press enter and await results.

Another thing you could try... If you can remember a time when the tool bar worked then you could go back to that time using System restore if you have the restore points in place.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.