Windows 7 GPEDIT - Remove Windows Explorer Favorites etc

JeremyJukes

Using the GPEDIT.msc program (or any other program) is there any way to remove 'Favorites' and Homegroup' items from the Windows Explorer left jhand pane?
Thanks

I'm using Csmenu so I don't know if this registry hack will work with Windows 7.

Open regedit and navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

Create a key key named policies if there isn't one present. Now create the Explorer key directly under the Policies key.

Now right-click in the right hand pane and choose new > DWORD (32-bit value), name it NoFavoritesMenu and give it a value of 1. Restart you computer to see if it takes affeect.

I don't use the Homegroup, so I can't help you with that one.

Last edited:
I'm using Csmenu so I don't know if this registry hack will work with Windows 7.

Open regedit and navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

Create a key key named policies if there isn't one present. Now create the Explorer key directly under the Policies key.

Now right-click in the right hand pane and choose new > DWORD (32-bit value), name it NoFavoritesMenu and give it a value of 1. Restart you computer to see if it takes affeect.

I don't use the Homegroup, so I can't help you with that one.
I hate to say it Reghakr buddy but it didn't work. Oh well.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explore\StartMenu\StartMenu\StartMenuFavorites.

Add a key named Policy, then add a key named NoFavoritesMenu.

Restart and see if that works.

NOTE:

There should be no space between Curr ent verion, it should state CurrentVersion.

Hi Reg

I was not able to get this registry modification to work. After making the change to the registry and rebooting, the Windows Explorer navigation pane still had the 'Favorites' entry. Research indicates that the Favorites entry can not be hidden or removed - at least no one seems to have done it yet. Let's see what the RC (purchased Pro edition) brings.

Thanks

Back