Windows 7 Hard Drive Partition Issues! Help!

Domekatz

I used to have a seperate Linux Partition on my Hard Drive. I no longer use Linux and uninstalled the Ubuntu Operating System from the partition and re formatted the partition in windows, but when i go to the Hard Drive Partitioning Utility with Windows wont allow me to re expand my main partition to include the other, now empty NTFS formatted, partition. Could anyone help me! :( :confused:

It depends on where the partitions are relative to each other and whether the partitions are contiguous. Windows partition management has limitations and you'd be best off using a third party solutions which will allow you to move partitions around. Before proceeding do remember that you should back up any important files before making changes to partitions - partition management software is no more likely to go wrong than any other software but if it does the problems can be very serious. Get the home edition of easeus partition manager free from here:

Get the paid version of EaseUS Partition Master at discount. Magic Partition Manager Freeware for PC/Server users. Upgrade EaseUS Partition Master Free

Last edited:
I used to have a seperate Linux Partition on my Hard Drive. I no longer use Linux and uninstalled the Ubuntu Operating System from the partition and re formatted the partition in windows, but when i go to the Hard Drive Partitioning Utility with Windows wont allow me to re expand my main partition to include the other, now empty NTFS formatted, partition. Could anyone help me! :( :confused:

Insert a boot disk and start booting from it. When it will ask you where to install Windows i.e., choose the partition for Installation, there you will see an option below viz. Drive Options. Click that option and you will see several options like delete partition, format partition. First click the drive and then click Delete. After deleting, click create partition and press enter.

Windows partition is quite invalid. I'd go with patcooke and add gParted as a free software. Anyway, I find partition issues should be done from outside Windows. Feels safer.

Last edited:
You can't expand a partition into formatted space, it needs to be unallocated. And as Pat mentions, it needs to be contiguous.

Back
Top Bottom