Windows 7 Hate to say it but Windows 7 sucks in my experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
also worth mentioning a lot of the problems with legacy stuff lies with the users themselves not getting over the fact that computers move tech in 2-3 year waves, unlike consoles that move to new tech every 5-6 years, and for me at least, dumping all 16/32bit compatibilty for windows 8 would be a huge benefit to the people that upgrade in that 3 year cycle, so that all the stuff doesnt have all the legacy junk that is often much of the cause of security holes and system problems. It not really fair to point fingers entirely at Windows 7 for most of the issues people have, Microsoft have done a massive job making the OS more user friendly, but you cannot make anything idiot proof, I would also add a lot of the marketing by companies enticing noob users to buy pre-built PCs are likely more guilty than Microsoft, as they often supply under spec junk and pass the buck when it runs like man with broken legs.

I disagree in the getting rid of 32 Bit support. Microsoft has made great advancements in the 64 Bit kernel over Windows XP x64, that there is no need to take it out. The only thing that would do is take away software that could run on it. Granted that most mainstream production software is going 64 Bit already, but there are a lot of games that are still coming out that are still full 32 Bit processes. I do support the idea of not making a 32 Bit OS any more. With the Wide range of 64 Bit enabled processors out, 32 Bit is almost to the end of it's life cycle.

to be fair 32bit is a long dead thing, it should have been retired with XP, it's gone the way of 640k ram in bios junk (which is only after 30 years just starting to be phased out also), it's been largely extended by ramping up power and speed, but finally CPU makers saw the light and sidestepped to multi-processing but I'd much rather have seen 128/256bit CPU by now considering how quick in the 80's we went from 8bit to 32bit in a space of 10 years. It just reeks much like how petrol makers keep pushing back cheap eco fuels back that have been patented since the 1950's so they can milk the market dry before swapping.

Exellent response! I got to give you the version thing and the hardware. I only posted specs from HWiNFO because I just wanted to show I'm not running an old setup. Microsoft has been making money and business more important since Vista's release. When they were the only major consumer operating system they were more layed back and focused on improving more important aspects of their OS. Now they continue to work on it but put an eagle eye on their competitors who are beginning to become popular and for the very reasons their becomming popular MS tries to copy. According to MS DRM that would be illegal especially when there making so much money off of it. Once the Java framework came out MS freaked out and developed .net. Once they seen google becomming popular because of its simplicity they attempted to go that route with their next major OS especially because they are afraid Google with put out an OS. But then to kill the competitors even more why not take over the market their starting and make the next MS Windows specifically designed for it. I mean come on. It is getting tiring following all their battles and now that they actually have competitors expect changes to be rampant. Now that Apple and Andriod have taken advantage of the ARM RISC technologies MS is again trying to catch up. And again changing their next version of Windows. I actually don't think Windows 7 is that bad, that is when it works. It is almost my replacement for an XP computer but I still always have to fall back to an XP computer everytime I install a piece of software and it doesn't work. Never have I had to do this with other OSs. So if support and development (not with MS but third parties) was as high as it was for XP I would easly perfer Windows 7 and I would gloat about it. Until then I will remain frustrated with the various amounts of software I would like to have on this computer but can't install because this version of Windows isn't compatible. MS has been releasing 64bit operating systems since 2005. It is a shame there isn't more third party products for it. With all my b****ing aside I do have to say I prefer Windows to anything else and MS may have valid reasons for what they do since it isn't just them growing but all the people they try to support. Plus it's not like their OS is built specifically for me. They have given me something to do since I was a young teen and I have always enjoyed playing with the OS. I used to play on Windows v95 (that is for you NaiyaShamiso) and I would actually try to figure out what every file, command, GUI does. I was the only one I knew until I entered college that knew anything like this LOL. If I would enter MS-DOS or DOS prompt commands to fix a friends computer they were just amazed by it. Of course all of this is becomming useless to know because of PowerShell. Everyone gets mad or frustrated with their computer as some time. For me and my Windows 7 64bit computer it happens a little more than what I expected but I will continue at least till the next versions come out and all support is dropped forcing me to buy another computer and spend an average of 1000.00USD a year staying "updated".

Well the $1000 year update you mention would be still huge value compared to consoles... how? well if you buy a lot of games for both setups, you nearly always pay half or less (Steam sales are usually epically cheap) for the PC equivalent and while the console versions dont really get much better performance, on the PC they always do even if its just higher textures or higher resolutions. Over a year a typical console gamer would probably spend $1000 on games and they look the same as game bought in the previous 5 years, so on the face of it PC always wins for value and quality as the money saved on the games pays for the upgrades. Add to that the new focus for free-to-play with micro transactions model for selling games to PC, well that's pushing the value even more in favour to PC.

cozofdeath, I was just being nice and telling you some things that others might give you a hard time about. I can be a jackass and talk about how stupid you are and blah blah blah. Why though, it is counter productive and shows what a waste of space and band width I would be. So instead I shared my knowledge with you. you talked about the MS DRM, according to that what would be illegal? Java has nothing on .net and never will. Java is a programming language, where .net is a, i guess the best way to describe it would be a computing system. .net goes from enhancing programming to user account management. I believe the first 64 Bit Windows was XP, and it was horrendous cause it was an after thought. My computer is 2 1/2 years old and it is an out of date hunk of junk, but I still only paid $1100 for it when it was new. Being that, it still runs Windows fine. Heck my POS Dell P4 computers run 7, granted only the 32 Bit, but it runs fine. It's all about how you put it together and run it.

I just have to say it, my Windows 7 experience has been less then great...
In fact its been horrid.
I have built my first computer just recently from the ground up with my own choices in hardware, nothing is defective and yet Windows 7 has been giving me nothing but issues.
I honestly dont see what is so great about it, its all flashy effects and unstable as all heck.
I have had no less then 20 bluescreens and that number counting by the day.
Many times 7 refuses to start properly, or starts but bluescreens off the bat, I have had issues updating as well and its been one headache after the next.
I dont get it, all this hype Microsoft gives to 7 and its no better then Vista on my machine, heck I rather have XP again with all the issues I have had.
I am beginning to wonder if paying the $140 I did on the OS is worth it, heck I have had more success with Linux then I ever did with Windows.
I use Ubuntu linux 10.10 and so far its crashed far less, had not nearly as many issues and works better in my opinion.
Windows the better OS?
Not to me.

Maybe the bluescreen comes from all your downloads.

DancingmadRB3

If you've had 20 odd BSODs you need to get that seen to. If your having trouble getting to the root cause of these issues. May we of the BSOD group help?

Maybe the bluescreen comes from all your downloads.

What?

oh okay just puzzled me. Was nothing in the quote about downloading of anything especially anything pirated. Conduct if that's what you meant could you please not say things that could cause offense to the person your quoting. Lets try to keep this discussion informative.

I didn't really see it malicious other than assuming they download stuff. nmsuk, you have a point, but lets not make Conduct feel they are being attacked either. Conduct just bringing it up so there wont be any problems in the future. :)

I'm not attacking Conduct and I truly hope no of you think I am. But if someone presumed that me downloading stuff was the cause of my Bsods I'd be a little miffed to say the least. Anyway lets move back to topic in hand. Conduct I hope you haven't taken offense.

Rich

nmsuk, that was a very mature way of handling that. I know you didn't intend anything. Conduct could have felt attacked, and I wanted to voice that is now what we are doing. Just tying to keep all happy. :)

I have been getting more into hacking my Windows. Very interesting stuff. I am still looking for something to let me customize my context menu though. More than just add and remove entries, something that will let me organize as well.

Funny how many of these people who build their own PCs from scratch and choose all the components have problems. They always blame Windows since it couldn't be their superior Knowledge of hardware.
Joe

It is important to put together components that will jive together correctly. You can put together a $10,000 system, but that doesn't mean it will run for crap. You will have lots of power, but communication between the parts will be bad and that will kill the system.

DancingmadRB3

If you've had 20 odd BSODs you need to get that seen to. If your having trouble getting to the root cause of these issues. May we of the BSOD group help?

What?

... Sometimes you can get a Bluescreen by Downloading stuff.

Funny how many of these people who build their own PCs from scratch and choose all the components have problems. They always blame Windows since it couldn't be their superior Knowledge of hardware.
Joe

I built my computer from scratch (my second build) but first did some research. I've installed W7 64bit and haven't had any trouble at all in the 2 yrs it's been running except when I installed my video card and couldn't start it because of kaspersy but after getting rid of it and installing Security Essentials there has been harmony in my case. :)

Quite agree, even for minor updates to my rigs I usually spend a up to a week mulling over the pros & cons of performance differences between brand and specs, after all it's smart to get the most bangs for the least bucks and still have a stable rig...lol

Quite agree, even for minor updates to my rigs I usually spend a up to a week mulling over the pros & cons of performance differences between brand and specs, after all it's smart to get the most bangs for the least bucks and still have a stable rig...lol

I've been more cautious about updating drivers and firmware for hardware since last year. There was a new driver that came out for my video card but it had a problem I found out later. It messed up the fan speed so the card fried. So now I tend to lean more to if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back