Windows 7 Hate to say it but Windows 7 sucks in my experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
I NEVER have BSOD's, crashes or lags with any of my XP machines, because I set them all up for Maximum Efficiency.
I can start up all five of my Anti-Malware scanners at the same time and still be able to sit here and work the forums while they run and I don't even see a keyboard or mouse lag. A well tuned PC will do that. One that's not, will CRASH, big time.

Mike, what's a 'fps'? Is that Feet Per Second, or 'Frogs per swamp?'

XP Pro + SP3 is the most stable OS I've ever run, except maybe DOS. That was pretty stable too.

W-7 is supposed to be MORE stable, but I don't get the MORE part of it. It CAN be stable, yes, but stable is stable, there's no MORE to it.
Get off this forum and read the rest of the internet. Complaints about W-7 BSOD's, crashes and burns are all over the place.
crash.gif

I don't see them on any of my Customer's PC's because every one of them has my custom tweaking and tuning on it.
They just run and run and run, year after year with never a problem, except for getting old.
I even program them for self cleaning, on every boot. I call it my FREE Maid Service. lol
That means it's Optimized for the hardware it's going to run on.

I keep saying this, but I guess people think that because I'm over sixty, that I'm stupid or something....but.....I'm not!
Every Windows OS, right off the shelf and out of the box, totally stock, is a real dog. It's got so many "Safe Defaults" built in that it's a wonder it can even run at all. It's actually designed to run and not puke on a single core CPU and only 512meg's of ram.
And then there's the bloatware that comes installed on every new PC and how about those G'zillion redundant Services that no home PC user will ever use in their lifetime? Eh Mate?
I use a little batch file, of my own making, to shut off up to 24 services in XP and a lot more in Vista or Win-7.

So if your XP crashes, you've done something terribly wrong, someplace. Or maybe you've never done anything at all with it and that's then the problem. Back to the books!

You can pick up a few of my own XP tune-up tips from my web site. (shhh! It's in my control panel, public info.)
AS for Win-7, everything I use to set up and tune up a Windows 7 PC, is in one .RAR file, Called, appropriately, something like Win-7 Stuff.rar. It's mainly for people with at least a modicum of Technical Expertise.
Real Nubes can just get themselves in trouble and I take NO liability.

Supper time! I'm outta heah! Eh?
Y'all have a great day now, Y'heah?

O.T.
deviloldbeer.gif

Speaking of & from myself...
I used, like & enjoyed XP for a long time. I remember being happy to leave Win98 for it. And, for me, XP was, for the most part & in terms of any severe problems or major events, problem-free. I didn't have struggles or lack of approcation w/ Vista, either. I have found 7 to, now, be my preference, over the 2 OSs before it.

During all this I have had clients w/ all 3 platforms. Most breakages, freezing, crashes & other problems have been due to driver error or ignorance, infections or hardware & sometimes, certainly, software issues.

Candidly, there has been more talk & apparent abundance of (repeated) BSODs in forums, than encountered in the field.

May suggest a need, in forums, to be pro-active; address prevention, as well as be reactive.

No denying, I often don't find the short-comings & flaws that bother others BUT, treat machines & OSs well, know & use some "Best Practices" and surfing & computing can be a smooth, pleasant experience... @ least w/out a plethora of obstacles, Errors & BSODs.

Thanks,
Drew

"Education Begets Empowerment" (Drew)

I'm really struggling, to stay on topic and not start posting pictures of my 1951 BMW 500cc, R51/3, in Europe.

By the way, my forum is a "Gentleman's" forum, where we discuss the latest political topics. No girls allowed!

I also work two 'automotive forums' where we discuss our cars. I've done all my own automotive maintenance,
for the past 50+ years, so I have one-up on those young'uns who don't know a crescent wrench from a torque wrench.

Speaking (ON TOPIC) again, finally, of Win-7, it was a real bummer to me, when I first saw it and realized
that Microshaft, in their infinite wisdom, had disabled Windows Mail, that worked SO WELL in Vista.
It took me a while, but I finally found out that the only file that disables it is MSOE.dll.
Just delete that file and replace it with the one from Vista and Windows Mail is back up and running.
There's a few more steps to that, but that's the core of it anyway.

It's such a simple thing, to get an email program that's almost identical to our old-reliable O.E.6,
which is also what most all of my customers are used to using and would like to continue using.

You can't just import the Windows Address Book though. It first has to be exported from XP in the
.csv format, then it can be Imported into "Contacts" (the new Windows Address Book) in Win-7.

Once you know the rules, it's an easy game to play.
But OH for the novice, it would be a nightmare, to even attempt it.

So I would ask Bill Gates, "why does MS feel the need to change things that have worked for many years,
that the paying customers have known and loved?"

They (MS) even found the 'need' (?) to screw around with our old friend "Solitaire". I've been playing that game for two decades now and I spend at least an hour a day playing it. It keeps my 'Hand-Eye' co-ordination as acute as possible. Many of my old customers play it too and love it. Then came win-7 and a reworked SOL that didn't look or play the same. Grrrrrrrr!
Well, I found out, that if I take Sol.exe and cards.dll out of XP and transplant them into the root directory of Win-7, and then make a shortcut to the desktop, I can play the old familiar Sol on Win-7. "I love it, when a plan comes together!".
That also works for Win-8. Eh?

When I'm setting up a new Windows PC for one of my customers, with Win-7 on it, I'm constantly apologizing
for the things I can't control or change.
After much effort, I do wind up with a PC that looks and acts so much like Windows XP that my customer feels
right at home with it. At that point it's more a labor of love, than just a JOB for me.
They don't buy a new PC to get Win-7..... they buy a new PC because their old one gave up the ghost.
Most ask me if I can't just install Windows XP on their new PC. Usually, that's a NO-NO.

Well that explains why I could not find your forum under Windows or Linux or computers. I thought you had a Windows forum about Windows operating systems and Linux.

Still you can get Windows Mail working again in Windows 7. You just have to delete the Windows 7's Windows Mail program file in Programs on C drive. I did this with a software called Unlocker,which unlocks and deletes any file. But you can use Take Ownership and then delete it with that.

Then you just transfer the Windows Mail program file from Windows Vista onto Windows 7 and install the file in Programs on C drive. And Windows Mail is running.

So to get Windows Mail working again in Windows 7,you simply delete the Windows 7's Windows Mail program file and replace it with the Windows Vista Windows Mail program file.

I found out how to get Windows Mail working on Windows 7 from a You Tube video I saw. And it was from that I learned how to get Windows Mail working again in Windows 7.

But when I transferred the program files for Outlook Express from my Windows XP laptop onto my Windows 7 laptop.I did this using Microsoft Shared View which transfers files from one computer to the other. But when I tried it with Outlook Express it did not work on Windows 7. Even though I transferred the Outlook Express program files from Windows XP to Windows 7,Outlook Express did not work on Windows 7.

But Windows Mail does and so does Windows Calendar, Windows Sidebar that's the Vista sidebar. But my second hand Windows Vista laptop never lasted long enough to find out if Windows Vista photo gallery works on Windows 7. But next time I get a Windows Vista laptop I will try transferring the files and see if it works on Windows 7.

But 2 weeks ago I transferred the files of Windows Movie Maker 2.1 from Windows XP and that works great on Windows 7. I like the webcam feature in 2.1 that you don't get on Windows Movie Maker 2.6 and 6. But they both run on Windows 7 too, by the way.

So you can have all of the Windows Vista software on Windows 7 and most of Windows XP's without the slowness of Windows Vista. And all of the advantages that is the fastness of Windows 7.

I think Windows XP and Windows 7 are the 2 number 1 versions of Windows. That is the 2 best versions of Windows in my book anyway. Andrea Borman.

Please don't Quote long posts like mine. It's terribly wasteful of forum bandwidth.
People have read it once, there is no need for them to have to read it again.
Your post was totally irrelevant. As usual.

I've explained in great detail, how to activate Windows Mail in Windows 7.
Why do you feel the need to go through all that again, in a more complicated way?
Wasn't my explanation sufficient for you?

NO, my personal forum has nothing to do with Windows or Linux which I don't use anyway.

One file! All it takes is to replace ONE FILE.... Msoe.dll and that's all.
It just has to be the proper one, for either a 32 bit or 64 bit OS.

This whole thread had become Irrelevant so I'm removing it from my Subscribe list.

Me :cool:

After reading this latest ridiculous entry, have you ever heard of Windows Live Essentials?

None of what you have said about mail handlers in Windows 7 makes any sense, @ all!

Trying to run or bring back legacy items & garbage like Outlook Express when none of such crazy efforts are necessary is just nuts. Why is such total lack of understanding or heed to what is said by or from others, taking up space here????

Drew

After reading this latest ridiculous entry, have you ever heard of Windows Live Essentials?

None of what you have said about mail handlers in Windows 7 makes any sense, @ all!

Trying to run or bring back legacy items & garbage like Outlook Express when none of such crazy efforts are necessary is just nuts. Why is such total lack of understanding or heed to what is said by or from others, taking up space here????

Drew

Oh yes, I have got Windows Live Messenger and Photo gallery on Windows 7.But it is not Windows Live Essentials 2011. It is Windows Live Essentials for Windows XP that is on my Windows 7. Which is the same version I have on my Windows XP computer.

If you look at the system requirements on the Microsoft website,Windows Live Essentials for Windows XP other wise known as 2009,is for Windows 7 and Vista and XP.

So on Windows 7 you can run Windows Live Essentials 2009 for Windows XP if you don't like 2011 version. And the 2011 version is not for everyone. And I don't like that ribbon tool bar in the 2011 version.The Windows XP version is also more user friendly.

And Windows 7 is a very flexible version of Windows,it runs old and new software. So if you can run your Windows XP and Vista software on Windows 7, which you can. Then why not?

As for installing Windows Mail on Windows 7,yes replacing just the Msoe dill file only, is another way of doing it. But it did not work for me as I could not find the Winmail file that is supposed to be in the Windows Mail file in Windows 7 's program file. Even when I selected show hidden files and folders.

So the easy way is just to delete the whole Windows 7's Windows Mail program file and replace it with the Windows Vista Windows Mail program file. That is the easy way for amateurs like me. And it works and saves a lot of hassle. Andrea Borman.

There is a good reason they locked out Windows Mail.....IT SUCKS. I have seen swiss cheese with less holes in it. You complain about the ribbon UI. It's the same as text based menus, just graphical. With the effort of a child, any one can use the ribbon. Hell some of the kids I teach computes to in my neborhood picked it up in less than an hour. None of this is rocket science, and very easy to grasp. Old software is out of date...no updates...makes you a target for nasties running on the web. Though we have told you this in the past, so I guess you will have to learn the hard way. I know for sure I wont be taking file transfers from you though.

"Rapidly nearing senility" ??? You too?
No wife here! At least I solved that problem. rofl

Since we're supposed to stay on topic, let me say something about Windows 7.

"Yeah, Windows 7 sucks!".
Mr Moderator, how's that for staying on-topic?*-)

KeepOnTruckin.gif

"Mr Gorbachev, tear down that wall!" Ronald Reagan

On topic is good, you're still wrong though IMHO.

There is a good reason they locked out Windows Mail.....IT SUCKS. I have seen swiss cheese with less holes in it. You complain about the ribbon UI. It's the same as text based menus, just graphical. With the effort of a child, any one can use the ribbon. Hell some of the kids I teach computes to in my neborhood picked it up in less than an hour. None of this is rocket science, and very easy to grasp. Old software is out of date...no updates...makes you a target for nasties running on the web. Though we have told you this in the past, so I guess you will have to learn the hard way. I know for sure I wont be taking file transfers from you though.

Actually I read on the web that when they first made Windows 7 they were going to include Windows Mail on Windows 7. But but for some legal reasons Microsoft could not do it.Something to do with objection from some Europe countries. And they must have forgot to remove the inactive Windows Mail file on Windows 7.That's why it's on there.

But Windows Live Essentials 2009 for Windows XP is last years version before 2011, but is the latest one for Windows XP. But it is for all versions of Windows,Vista and 7 as well. And if you have got Windows Vista but do not have service pack 2 you cannot use the 2011 version.You have to use the Windows XP version. But you can use 2011 or the Windows XP version on Windows 7.

Anyway last year everyone was using Windows Live Essentials 2009.Which they have now called Windows Live Essentials for Windows XP,on Windows 7 and Vista.Before they brought out 2011 version.

But even on Windows XP where my Windows Movie Maker 2.1 on Windows 7 comes from,I have never had any updates for Outlook Express or Windows Movie Maker 2.1. So they don't update that software even on Windows XP,you just get updates for Windows XP and Internet Explorer not Outlook Express and Windows Movie Maker 2.1.

But who is going to hack Windows Movie Maker anyway? Andrea Borman.

Umm, they did include Windows Mail when it was initially released. The issue with the European Union is that they don't want software bundled with other software, Microsoft and Windows in particularly, to have an unfair advantage. This was a stupid way to get rid of Windows Media player out of Windows by default, and why Europe has a special copy tor jus them. Also Korea did the same thing, but also included Windows Messenger, that was another stupid idea. They were worried that software that in no way changes any other software is being unfair, because it is free and comes with the OS by default. What they should have been worrying about is the huge hole in the Messenger service that Microsoft left running by default for over 6 years. This game anyone the ability to get Administrator privileges, not privileges as JoeJoe an administrator account, but Administrator, see the capital A, it's a name. This would be privileges just under System or Kernel. Though, I guess I can see how a free media player and messenger application that is free and in no way hurts your computer, network or other software, is a danger to the security...where was I going with that? They didn't remove it for the same reason that they never removed Media, I think it was 4.something, from Windows XP. It is part of the OS and runs deep. If you just remove some of it and leave loose ends, which will open up so many other holes. Removing portions of that would allow someone to come in and write a nasty, that will fill in the hole that was left and then you are royally boned. Microsoft doesn't forget to anything. Read one EULA and that will be apparent.

If you are running Vista and do not have the latest service pack, you are either an IT for a huge company or the stupidest person on earth. There is a reason for those things and they do make a huge difference. Okay so there is a third option, it is a *whisper* pirated copy of windows */whisper* don’t want to say that too loud, just knowing that may be a violation of SOPA and PIPA. Windows Live Essentials is neat and being that it is free, not bad for the price. I personally use Outlook 2010 now, and it is great.

So people where using a version of software, that is the current version, on an OS, that is the most current version, and then started using a newer version of the software, that is now the most current version. you said this as if you expected everyone to gasp in disgust at the conspiracy theory. Sounds like upgrading software to me.

Okay so first off Outlook Express has not been supported for like, 8 years, no support not updates. That would be the idea of no support, you don’t get to ask Microsoft questions about it or get any kind of help at all. Second, some of the Outlook Express is intertwined with Internet Explorer, just because it is not named Outlook Express hotfix, doesn’t mean it doesn't fist that application. Movie Maker didn’t really need any updates, just a newer version. Patches and hotfixes are usually reserved for pay software that you would have to pay for again to get a newer version. Free software like this, unless it is a security issue, just waits until the next release to fix a lot of bugs. You act like the OS even remotely matters on if you will get updates for an application. Just because an application is run on an older OS dose not mean it will get any newer patches. The last patch is the last patch, regardless of if it is on XP, 7, 2000, or NT 4.0.

Hacking Movie maker might work pretty well. Who would hack a printer? I remember one time when a guy worked out a way to get control of a server by running authentication through a network printer. Then he would have privileges as System Administrator and Domain Administrator as well. Never say who would have anything, because it just might just work.

Windows Messenger 4.7 in Windows XP is no longer supported.Try to log in with it and you get a message telling you it cannot log you in. And to upgrade to the latest version of Windows Live Messenger.

So Windows Messenger 4.7 is pretty much useless. So I uninstalled Windows Messenger 4.7 by deleting the file in programs on C drive. And there is an uninstall command that you paste and type in Run,that uninstalls Windows Messenger 4.7. I did that too.

As for the service pack on Windows 7.Well on one of my Windows 7 laptops that I did a restore to factory condition recently, I found that the Windows 7 service pack won't install. I get an error message.

I wonder if it could be that it does not like one of my Windows Vista or other software I have installed?

Last time I installed the service pack, I installed it BEFORE I installed most of my Windows Vista and other software.Including Classic Shell and Agent Ransack that was also install AFTER I installed the service pack. Andrea Borman.

Windows Messenger 4.7 and Windows Messenger Service are two different applications all together. From what I remember Windows Messenger Service was removed from Server 2003 and above, because it is such a hunk of crap. Support for software goes away, it happens. Just have to deal with it.

Stop calling deleting an .exe uninstalling it. That is not uninstalling, that is just deleting a .exe file. Uninstalling involves removing all files and registry entries that pertain to that application.

Sounds like a ID10T error, could be caused by a PEBKaC issue with subroutine Kappa Kappa Wong.

Anything that could cause the Service Pack to not install would have to be major. I can't think of any applications that will cause any SP to fail.

Maybe you should do some searching there are 2 threads in the past week about SP1 not installing. MS has a readiness tool that may solve the problem.
Joe

I tried downloading all of that several times. But nothing worked and the service pack won't install. But is the system readiness tool a new tool just brought out from a few weeks ago? If it is it could work. But so far nothing has. I don't know why.

By the way my Windows 7 is activated and validated.So it's not because of that. Andrea Borman.

> cmd, Run as Admin
Command line is:
netsh winsock reset catalog

I highly doubt that's true and IF, not now, you will.

> cmd, Run as Admin
Command line is:
netsh winsock reset catalog

I highly doubt that's true and IF, not now, you will.

But what will this command do? Can you explain as I don't want to run an unknown command without knowing what it will do to Windows. Andrea Borman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom