Windows 7 Having the WORST time trying to upgrade to Windows 7. Help!

Marshmelly

I purchased the student version today for 29.99 (the 64 bit version). I currently run Windows Vista 64-bit, and my computer is only a few months old. I started out by backing up all my files on my hardrive in case things went awry. The first time I try installing, I get an error message about halfway through saying something like "Error saving the GetRight downloaded list". After the error went away NONE of the programs on my computer would open (browser, itunes, nothing!). I rebooted, deleted the installation file and re downloaded it off the website. This time, it made it all the way through to 100%, but when I tried to run the program it gave me an error that said "The application cannot find one of its required files. Please make sure that the folder in which this application was downloaded is accessible and not read-only". It was only on my Desktop (where it said to download it) so I have no idea what this error is about. I tried 3 more times to download this and I either end up getting the first error or the second error I mentioned. I don't know why this isn't working since I'm following the directions. :confused: Any ideas? I wish I could get my money back!

I was able to download the Digital River file, but when I tried to run it within XP, it would upack about 90%, then give me an error that it couldn't copy upon itself, or something.

After 5 hours of time invested, I finally came across a solution that's relatively EASY.

Once you download all of the files, try to run the .exe. It will nearly finish, then give you an error like I mentioned. Just cancel out of that. The folders will have been created as you need, anyway. Then click here and use the USB Key method (you need a 4gb USB key, though). Be sure to set your computer to boot off of the key before you start:

How to Make the Student Discounted Windows 7 Upgrade Bootable | Notebooks.com

Also, once Windows 7 had installed, and began to reboot for the first time, I had to pull out my memory key or it would attempt to start the installation process all over again. If that happens, just cancel out of the install process, pull out the USB key, and reboot. Windows should finish installation on its own.

Digital River cost me to lose over 5 hours of my life. Thankfully, that USB key method was quite easy (and I didn't have to mess around with command line typing or unlocking files).

You must be trying to upgrade Vista I would strongly recommend you do a new install. You have to get to the custom install part of the windows 7 install. I once upgraded from Vista and it was a mess.... over 1000 duplicated files and 32 out dated drivers.

Thank you! I was actually able to get it work after trying it for the 6th time. I completely uninstalled my antivirus software, and I'm not sure if that did it but it ended up working after that. I was able to go through the whole installation process with no other problems.

Thank you! I was actually able to get it work after trying it for the 6th time. I completely uninstalled my antivirus software, and I'm not sure if that did it but it ended up working after that. I was able to go through the whole installation process with no other problems.

Excellent .... I still recommend you backup your programs and important data and do a clean install. It will run so much better.

Check this for me.... click Start and run Msconfig
then click the startup tab and tell me how many boxes you have checked.

Back