Windows 7 Help? Another Windows 7 Network Issue!

TheGringa

Hello! Just a few moments ago, I was hit with a problem and I'm at a lost on how to fix it.

Everything was working fine, I could sign into AIM and Yahoo, etc, but suddenly I was disconnected and now I'm having trouble connecting to my messengers, except for Skype, for some reason.

Checking the issue I discovered that I can't view some websites now, my net is kind of slow, it takes awhile to load pictures.

I noticed it gave me a yellow triangle symbol on my Networks tab in the taskbar. So. of course, I did a Windows Network Diagnostics and it gave me this:

"Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (Microsoft Corporation) is not responding"

I don't get it. Just an hour ago everything was working. I never came across this problem until now.

DNS Issue?

Can you please try this:

1. Go to the Start Orb and Search -> cmd.exe
  2. Run cmd.exe
  3. Type: nslookup google.com
  4. Right-click on the command-line console and click Mark
  5. Select whatever is outputted
  6. Paste into a reply
If you are getting a timeout there is a way to change DNS settings:

To manually configure DNS for a Network Interface Card (NIC) in Windows 7, go to:

1. Start -> Search -> Network Connections
  2. Find the local area connection that corresponds with your network card
  3. Double-click on this device
  4. Go to Properties
  5. Double-click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
  6. Select "Use the following DNS server addresses"
  7. Enter the values: 8.8.8.8 and 4.4.4.2 in each corresponding box.
This will make DNS lookups come directly off Google or L3. However, your connection to other devices on the network (such as file or media sharing) will be disrupted by this change. This could be a problem with your ISP's DNS servers, rather than the device itself.

Alternatively, you could try flushing the DNS cache in Windows.

Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt. Right-click beforehand on it and 'Run As Administrator'. Type the following and hit enter:

ipconfig /flushdns

This is all just conjecture unless we can find out more about the problem. However, these are common steps that will usually solve a problem such as this. Please provide some additional information about your problem, such as when it started and how often it is occurring. Have you installed any new software at this time? Are you running a custom firewall or anti-virus that could now disrupt traffic with these services?

One other option is to use System Restore to go back to a time before this happened. If all else fails, sometimes a System Restore can, on occasion, do the trick.

Best,
Mike

Back
Top Bottom