Windows 8 Help, can't find minimize buttons etc?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

I'm setting up a laptop for a friends mother, she's 88 years old.

I have installed Classic Shell, and am working from the desktop.

My problem is that when I open up Google Chrome there are no minimise, restore, or close icons in the upper right corner as there are on my own computer.

That means that every time I do anything, like download and install CCleaner I can't minimise Chrome, I have to close all the Windows one at a time to get back to the desktop to see the install window.

How do I get the normal Windows icons back?

Mike

Unintall Chrome and then reinstall it again...something is majorly corrupted...the uninstall/reinstall should fix it.

I think the problem is that I'm running some kind of Chrome App and not the normal desktop version of Chrome.

Hi

OK it reverted or updated to the version of Chrome with no minimize button again.
My computer never does that, so why can't I keep this one using the non stupid version of Chrome.

This is a perfect example of what's wrong with the Windows 8 Apps.

Once you open the "Chrome for Windows 8 version," there is no way to get to anything else, I can't open Word and drag back and forth, I can't get to the install windows that open behind the Chrome window. I can' open to browser pages side by side.

That's the whole point of Windows, that's why it's called Windows.

The only option I have is to close all the open Windows and get back to the desktop.
And it always goes back to the Metro screen when it closes and I have to click again to get to the desktop where the install window shows.

This really bugs me.

Mike

Remember that there are 2 environments in Win 8... The "Start Screen" environment (where you have all the apps with tiles) and the "Desktop" environment which we are all familiar with. You may be surfing the web on the "Start Screen" using the Chrome app? The normal Chrome that you know runs in a "normal" way on the desktop. In short, there are 2 google chrome browsers installed on your PC... the "app version" and the "desktop version". So be sure to open up the desktop version.

I never boot up and never use the "Start Screen" crap. You can pretend that it's not there. :) Install the Classic Shell program so the Win 8 will act like Windows as you know it.

Last edited:
A picture might help us see what is happening.

This isn't related to a window that you need to click the border somewhere to get it back to a normal window?

Hi

I'm starting from the desktop, and it start's out working normally, but then it starts loading the Metro version from the same icon that formally opened the desktop version.

I think that I have it fixed, I took the Chrome Installer File from my computer and installed the same version that I'm using.
I don't let mine update, and it hasn't changed back to the Metro version since, but it did it 3 times before.

As far a screen shots I'm not sure how you get a screen shot in Metro, the Snipping Tool won't work, and Fraps doesn't work with Windows 8 either.

Anyway I hope that it stays the way it is now.

I'm almost done with it, the computer works good and I think I've got it set up so it will be easy for her to use.

Hi

I'm pretty sure that it was somehow updating to the Chrome App, and running that instead of the normal desktop version.
I don't have any idea why but it seems to be staying put for now.

I just don't want this to happen after the owner who as I said is 88, after she gets used to using it the normal way.

Mike

As far a screen shots I'm not sure how you get a screen shot in Metro, the Snipping Tool won't work, and Fraps doesn't work with Windows 8 either.
Press the PrtScn (Print Screen) key on your keyboard, open an image editor (MS-Paint will do the job) and press Ctrl+V to paste the image to the editor from the clipboard.

To capture only the active window and not the entire screen hold down Alt when you press PrtScn.

Also, I read somewhere that in Windows 8 you can hold down the Windows key and press PrtScn to capture and save an image of the screen automatically in the Pictures folder in your Library.

Snipping Tool can do the trick for this as well. You should not loose any buttons when you re-launch in Chrome in Windows 8 Mode or desktop mode. It is basically the same interface, just full screen under the Modern UI environment.

Did you also install the chrome app? If so just uninstall it and leave only the desktop version.

as for capturing screen, hold down Win key while pressing prntscrn key. The screenshot will be saved in Picture folder under the sub-folder "Screenshot".

you might also want to install the classic shell for her so that when she calls you for help you can both go through it like she is also using a Win 7.

Hi

Classic Shell was the first thing I did after it booted up.
I'm getting close to having it finished, just installing the printer right now.

Once everything is done I have to put together a tutorial for her.
Too bad I'm not getting paid to do this, Best Buy would never do this good a job. LOL

I'm glad I'm not starting from scratch, it looks daunting when I see how much work it is setting this all up.
I don't see how people who aren't geeks get through all of this.

As for using the Snipping Tool in Metro, everytime I click on it, it take me to the Desktop.
I've never been able to get it to work in the Metro interface.

Unfortunately Fraps which I've used for years and still use all the time in games and on the net, won't work on the Windows 8 desktop.
I talked to the Fraps people, and they said that they are working on it, and there should be an upgrade soon.

I think I did use the Print Screen thing way back when we were running the beta version.

I'll give that a try.

Chrome seems to be working, it hasn't lost its button since yesterday, but uninstalling the Chrome App is a good idea.
I'll check that out.

Mike

Hi again.

Well I just got a clue, I'm signing her up for Skype.
When I clicked on setup new account, it took me to Google Chrome.

Once more there were no maximise, minimise etc. buttons.

But Then!

A message came up that said...

"This only works with Chrome on the desktop, relaunch Chrome?"

I said yes and the buttons were back.

So when I launch chrome for an application, it goes to the Metro version.

When I went into the metro screen and said to uninstall Chrome it was going to remove Chrome completely, I don't see a separate App for it.

So at least I know what's going on now.

Apparently it can open 2 different interfaces one full screen, App style with no minimise button, (the only way I could close it was to grab the top of the screen) and a normal desktop version.

Mike

Whenever Chrome is in app mode just select the Chrome menu () >Relaunch Chrome on the desktop.

relaunch-Chrome-on-desktop.png

Back
Top Bottom