Windows 7 Help is much appreciated

IThinkImGod

When i put a flash video or a game to full screen my computer turns itselfe off suddenly. This means i can't play any games on my PC which is why i bought it. This started the moment i installed windows 7.

Also when i boot windows 7 it takes a very long time to show the windows welcome screen. Before it comes up it shows me a black screen wtih my mouse cursor on it.

CPU: Intel core 2 duo 2.67GHz
GFX: Nvidia 9800 GTX+
RAM: 4GB

Thank you very much for your time....

Check your event logs, my guess is there was a Bluescreen error that occurred. Are you using your manufacturers drivers or windows update drivers for your GFX card?

You may want to grab the latest drivers from Nvidia's website.

To check event logs:

Click on start >> In the search box type 'eventvwr.msc' >> click on system and look for errors at about the time your issue happened.

I would be looking in the "System" log, easiest way would probably to note the time, and reproduce the error. When the computer boots up, look for an event with a red (x) near it at the time the error happened. There is usually a system file at fault, what is that file?

Last edited:
The previous system shutdown at 19:06:59 on ‎01/‎10/‎2009 was unexpected.

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller : Has encountered an invalid network address.

3 errors. The middle one was a x and the other two where exclamation marks. I think it sounds like the power was lost suddenly. Because my computer just turns off as if smoeone took out the plug. But how could you fix that?

The previous system shutdown at 19:06:59 on ‎01/‎10/‎2009 was unexpected.

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller : Has encountered an invalid network address.

3 errors. The middle one was a x and the other two where exclamation marks. I think it sounds like the power was lost suddenly. Because my computer just turns off as if smoeone took out the plug. But how could you fix that?

It sounds to me that the problem is related to the "Enable Hardware Acceleration" function that Adobe Flash Player lets you use when you start a flash video. Normally, enabling hardware acceleration is supposed to let your video card take care of the rendering rather than relying on possibly-slower-software rendering resulting in better performance of the video's playback. It seems the flash player is not initializing your device correctly resulting in the unexpected error.

I'd bet that if you were able to turn that off, you might have some luck with the rest of your video watching until we can find you a permanent fix. Often times, disabling this will boost video playback performance as well, unless you have a really, really fast video card.

The problem is... Usually, you have to start the player and right click on it to deselect this option. But if your computer is turning off exactly when you start the player, therein lies the dilemma.

Also, this may be caused by a power drain and you PC is shut off to protect itself I.e.. your PSU may be underpowered. What kind of PSU (Wattage, make, model) are you using for your desktop?

Did you have another OS on your desktop previously? Did you have any problems there?

The only thing i know about the PSU is it's 750w. And i just got this computer from a friend who had installed windows 7 the day i got the computer... But he had windows vista on it before and i don't remember him ever telling me he had problems with it.

You could try something like:

rthdribl - Real-Time High Dynamic Range Image-Based Lighting 1.2 - which would stress test the GPU. Does your BIOS record logs that may be useful to diagnosing the issue?

Also, Prime 95 is an awesome stress testing tool as well, no GFX tests but it will stress your CPU/Ram/PSU.

You could always burn a Linux live CD (Ubuntu) and attempt to watch a flash video in full screen there too. Just trying to figure out if this is a hardware issue or software.

(FYI if you go the Ubuntu route, you will have to install flash by going to the terminal (Alt+F2 Run gnome-terminal) and run sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree, then open firefox)

Last edited:
I have a flash drive with ubuntu on it. I opened up a youtube video put it on full screen and it worked fine. but i couldn't test my games out because that would take a LOOONNNNGGG time to download and install. It's something to do with windows 7 for sure...

I honestly think it's the NVIDIA GFX drivers. I had a similar problem in that I could only use fullscreen and trying to use window mode caused a freeze/BSOD. This I found to be because W7 had installed it's own generic drivers and they were obviously not perfect. Download/install the latest drivers for your card and then see what happens.

Last edited:
Well that's just god da** annoying. But at least we can rule out hardware (kind of). Im kind of at a loss at this point, I'm assuming you have already grabbed the latest drivers from nVidia?

I'm downloading them now. But i think the drivers i have installed right now are the ones I'm downloading. Anyways it will take a while to download because my internet is very poor at this time =) so i will tell you how it goes in about 30-60 minutes. If the drivers don't sort it out then i'm just going to get install XP...

Problem is in your drivers. When you have a very slow bootup that's a sign it's trying to load drivers and finally times out. Obviously these must be your graphics card drivers... and maybe others. I found when I upgraded I had 32 drivers outdated.. but when I did a clean install only 4 drivers were outdated (newer drivers available)

Click "Start" type and enter "vi" and the event viewer will open. Read the administrator logs under Custom Views to find the exact problem.

Back