Help! No sound in windows 8!

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Help and Support' started by Mazinombies, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Mazinombies

Mazinombies New Member

Sorry if this has been asked before, but all the quick searches i looked at were all for windows 7!

Starting as of a few hours ago, my computer just stopped recognizing my headphones. When I unplug them, and plug them back in they are not recognized. I have restarted my computer a couple of times now, but to no avail. There is also a small icon on the taskbar, which looks like the volume icon, but with a red cross through it.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. helpifIcan

helpifIcan Extraordinary Member

Try reinstalling the sound driver or if you have a recent restore point you could try that to fix your problem.

3. MikeHawthorne

MikeHawthorne Essential Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

Hi

And if just reinstalling the driver doesn't work, try uninstalling your sound device in Device Manager and rebooting.
    The will force Windows to reinstall and reconfigure your sound settings to the default setup.

Mike

4. ussnorway

ussnorway Windows Forum Team
    Staff Member Premium Supporter

is this the image?... Screenshot (30). ...note that this one is mute which is not the same thing as driver missing.

5. MikeHawthorne

MikeHawthorne Essential Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

Hi

Right click on that Icon, you should get a menu that will let you Check the Volume, and Troubleshoot Sound Problems.
    As Ussnorway suggested your sound may just be muted.

Mike