Windows 7 Help! The device attached to the system is not functioning

Kyle Padlan

Please help me im having problems running some .exe files.. look at the pictureImage - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting Untitled.pnghere are my specs :------------------System Information------------------Time of this report: 8/5/2012, 21:01:19 Machine name: KYLEPADLAN-PC Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.120503-2030) Language: English (Regional Setting: English)System Manufacturer: Acer System Model: Aspire 4755 BIOS: AcerSystem v2.2 Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.2GHz Memory: 4096MB RAMAvailable OS Memory: 3908MB RAM Page File: 1594MB used, 6217MB available Windows Dir: C:\Windows DirectX Version: DirectX 11DX Setup Parameters: Not found User DPI Setting: Using System DPI System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent) DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode​

------------------System Information------------------
Time of this report: 8/5/2012, 21:01:19
Machine name:
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.120503-2030)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Acer
System Model: Aspire 4755
BIOS: AcerSystem v2.2
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3908MB RAM Page File: 1594MB used, 6217MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11DX
Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using
System DPI System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385​

You may need to describe your original problem in some more specific detail. I could not see your picture because that site wanted to make changes to my system. You can attach pictures using the paperclip on the Advanced replies.

If you are having a problem getting the return to work in the Editor, you might click the A/A on the left end of the menu.

Like Clark has said. Any images can and should be upload here locally as he has described.
If I saw the image correctly, it appears that your problem may be with file associations, specifically with .EXE extensions.
You can give the EXE fix located here a try and see if that helps at all Link Removed - Invalid URL
I can tell you that that particular regedit.exe issue is sometimes (even often) the result of a virus or other malware infection so you may want to perform an offline scan of your system.
Grab a blank CD and this program from here What is Windows Defender Offline? (get the correct version for your architecture). Boot from the CD that it will help you make and run a FULL system scan.
You may need to use a second system to create the CD if your current problem prevents you from doing so on the problem computer.

You may need to describe your original problem in some more specific detail. I could not see your picture because that site wanted to make changes to my system. You can attach pictures using the paperclip on the Advanced replies.

If you are having a problem getting the return to work in the Editor, you might click the A/A on the left end of the menu.

The problem is: whenever i run a .exe file it always says "The device attached to the system is not functioning" it also displays the direction of the file where it is installed. I cant even install any program with a .exe extension. The "The device attached to the system is not functioning" always pops up

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 648
That is really a strange message. Do you have a normal Windows 7 install, using an internal hard drive? Regedit not running is an abnormal circumstance.

Does msconfig.exe do the same thing?

Run any virus scans lately?

Since we never found a solution the first time, I am not sure what else to suggest?

Have you checked your file associations and made sure .exe is associated with exefile. You can do that in a normal command window and type assoc then check for it. While you are there, check for .exc also (.exc show a textfile on mine).

If the .exe is looking for some device, is it looking for a storage area with files it needs, or is it looking for some device it is supposed to be using to accomplish the task? The assoc command may tell you if it has been misdirected.

What is your setup and how did you install windows? Found any viruses?

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name CARLOSJTORRES
System Manufacturer eMachines
System Model ET1352G
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250 Processor, 3000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends, Inc. P01-A2, 4/2/2010
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name CarlosJTorres\Carlos J. Torres
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 8.00 GB
Available Physical Memory 5.34 GB
Total Virtual Memory 13.6 GB
Available Virtual Memory 11.2 GB
Page File Space 5.62 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

that my system iv done all that and cant seem to figure out what the problem is every time i try to open an .exe program that error comes up.but when i run it in safe mode i have no issues what so ever and windows 7 has been on this computer for about 2 yrs never an issue like this till yesterday.as for system scans all have come up with noting saying that my computer is 100% clean/functional ..:confused:

Last edited:
Have you checked your file associations and made sure .exe is associated with exefile. You can do that in a normal command window and type assoc then check for it.

What does it show?

[h=2]Re: Help! The device attached to the system is not functioning[/h]
Like Clark has said. Any images can and should be upload here locally as he has described.
If I saw the image correctly, it appears that your problem may be with file associations, specifically with .EXE extensions.
You can give the EXE fix located here a try and see if that helps at all Link Removed - Invalid URL
I can tell you that that particular regedit.exe issue is sometimes (even often) the result of a virus or other Link Removed - Invalid URL infection so you may want to perform an offline scan of your system.
Grab a blank CD and this program from here What is Windows Defender Offline? (get the correct version for your architecture). Boot from the CD that it will help you make and run a FULL system scan.
You may need to use a second system to create the CD if your current problem prevents you from doing so on the problem computer.​

Please, Trouble, I would be very grateful if you could tell me if an appropriate version of Windows Defender on a bootable Cd etc. will help fix windows XP, and if there is one available if this latest version won't run on an XP machine? Sorry I realise this is off-topic/off forum but I have a friend who asked me to fix his Xp machine. Thanks! :)

Please, Trouble, I would be very grateful if you could tell me if an appropriate version of Windows Defender on a bootable Cd etc. will help fix windows XP, and if there is one available if this latest version won't run on an XP machine? Sorry I realise this is off-topic/off forum but I have a friend who asked me to fix his Xp machine. Thanks! :)
Good question. I would assume that since Microsoft Security Essentials will run on Windows XP Sp3, and since actually Windows Defender offline if really OS independent, my bet is that it will work once the disk is created. As a matter of fact according to this Windows Defender Offline System Requirements you shouldn't have any issues in running the program on an XP machine SP3 machine. not exactly sure why they specify Sp3.

Ah yes of course it runs from the CD so it shouldn't matter which Os is installed. Thanks a million!

Back