Windows 7 help upgrading 32 to 64 bit win7

hangten1

hey im currently running win 7 pro x84 bit and trying to install win 7 pro x64bit

however its not letting me, its a legit version of win 7, i have tried booting with dvd drive and on desktop however i keep getting this error

Yfrog Photo : yfrog.com/b723655053j

ive done a perfomance test and i no my computer can supprot 64bit, its a new computer i just purchased

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz,
RAM 8.00 GB
Currently
32-bit operating system (trial)
4 cores
64-bit capable

not sure what else to include, ive tried to boot with dvd but it doesnt like boot through it but it boots my XP and Vistas, any help would be sweet

Few questions...

1. Did you burn this dvd yourself?
2. If you burned this DVD, have you tried burning it again?

Most often you can access the boot level menu right as the machine powers on. Usually this can be done by hitting one of the following keys: F2, F10, F11, or F12. In some instances you can access it with escape. You often have to pay close attention as the system only makes this available during post which on new systems takes around 5 seconds or so. It would really help to know what mother board is installed in the system. If you are able to access this menu, you can select the the DVD drive and the boot device and force boot to the DVD drive. If it will not then there is something wrong with your disk.

let us know.

In so far as I know there is no way to upgrade from 32bit to 64bit Windows 7. Please refer to this article from Microsoft and read question number 5. 32-bit and 64-bit Windows: frequently asked questions
You need to backup everything and do a clean custom install.
If you only have upgrade media your options are limited as to how successful your attempts to clean install with upgrade media might be. You can refer to this article for further reference Link Removed - Invalid URL
If you have the full retail version of the media then you need to backup all your critical data and start over with a clean install.
In either or both cases a clean install of windows 7 appears to be the only option available to get from 32bit to 64bit.

Hello Guys and Welcome. : )

running win 7 pro x84 bit and trying to install win 7 pro x64bit

however its not letting me, its a legit version of win 7, i have tried booting with dvd drive and on desktop however i keep getting this error

Yfrog Photo : yfrog.com/b723655053j

That's right, a 32-bit OS won't let you run a 64-bit installer, including the one from Windows 7 x64. What you need to do is to boot from the dvd -> (press any key to boot on start) -> and follow the on-screen instructions to start the installation process.

In the bios, you need to set boot device priority to your dvd.

Clean Install Windows 7 - Windows 7 Forums

Please let us know if you need more assistance.

thanks for the replys, and yes its a burned cd i go the copy from my university online burnt it twice now,

and going try and "force" boot like you suggested now hope it works

Back