Windows 8 Help! Windows Movie Maker!

iHateLaq

Hey! So I've had this problem for quite a while now. I used windows movie maker for a long time until I was forced to reset my PC for personal reasons. Now, after I had to reset my PC, I downloaded windows essentials and downloading movie maker. It didn't open. I deleted it BUT even though I deleted it, even I try to re-download windows essentials, it shows that I already have windows movie maker installed... I've tried searching on my computer but no windows movie maker has shown up... Please help!

Is Windows Essentials still listed in Control Panel > Programs and Features?

Hi,
Chiming in here, are you running Win8 or Win8.1? If you are running W8, I would update your computer to Win8.1 as there are documented issues with multiple Windows Essentials apps including Movie Maker (WMM). Some of those fixes in 8.1 took care of these kinds of problems.
Also, which version of WE (Windows Essentials) are you downloading? There are several versions going back to at least 2010. There are both 2011 and 2012 versions. For Win8.1 I would go with the WE 2012 version. If you are unable to upgrade your machine to W8.1, I would suggest you try the WE 2011; that works on W8 as far as I know. If it doesn't you could have any number of failures from a virus/malware infection to windows system file or registry corruption or a failed hard drive.

Have you scanned your computer with your primary AV program? If not, we suggest you download the free MALWAREBYTES program from Malwarebytes.org, and scan/remove all spyware viruses found.

Let us know how it goes.
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>> :usa:

I actually have windows 10, I have scanned my computer with Avira Antivirus aswell as Malwarebytes, I am currently downloading the windows essentials 2012 I believe.

Ahh, Ok. You posted your problem in this forum which is for Windows 8 Help and Support.o_O Part of the problem is that Microsoft made several changes to Windows Essentials and completely removed some apps from W10, such as WLM (Windows Live Mail), which was the MS native Mail app for 5 years. I don't know about the other apps, specifically WMM (Windows Movie Maker), as I used to teach that program in my Computer Media classes I used to teach several years ago. ĂŤ haven't attempted to run WMM on W10, which requires you to download from the Microsoft Apps Store *and you need a Microsoft Account Login on your W10 in order to access the store*.

In any case, here's a good video I found that explains how to find it:

I can't be certain whether it's exactly the same WMM as contained in the 2012 Windows Essentials you have, but this video has the link to right place on the Microsoft site where the WMM that's compatible with W10 lives. Give it a try and let us know how it works for you!

Best,:encouragement:
<<<BBJ>>>

NOTE TO KEMICAL: Hi Ross, the OP here posted into the wrong sub-forum; if you get time, can you please move this over to the W10 Help and Support sub-forum? Thanks--BBJ.

Ahh, Ok. You posted your problem in this forum which is for Windows 8 Help and Support.o_O Part of the problem is that Microsoft made several changes to Windows Essentials and completely removed some apps from W10, such as WLM (Windows Live Mail), which was the MS native Mail app for 5 years. I don't know about the other apps, specifically WMM (Windows Movie Maker), as I used to teach that program in my Computer Media classes I used to teach several years ago. ĂŤ haven't attempted to run WMM on W10, which requires you to download from the Microsoft Apps Store *and you need a Microsoft Account Login on your W10 in order to access the store*.

In any case, here's a good video I found that explains how to find it:

I can't be certain whether it's exactly the same WMM as contained in the 2012 Windows Essentials you have, but this video has the link to right place on the Microsoft site where the WMM that's compatible with W10 lives. Give it a try and let us know how it works for you!

Best,:encouragement:
<<<BBJ>>>

NOTE TO KEMICAL: Hi Ross, the OP here posted into the wrong sub-forum; if you get time, can you please move this over to the W10 Help and Support sub-forum? Thanks--BBJ.

When I go to download it, (1:53 in the video) I click on choose what I want to install, But it already says I have movie maker installed!

hjuih.PNG

Microsoft is converting @live, @hotmail to outlook.com email. Windows Live Essential Mail should not be used. The built-in Windows 10 App works just fine with Outlook. But all the rest of the Windows Live programs work fine with 10. Live Writer was great, but very few people use that publishing method anymore, so it's sort of a mute point.

Here's another one of my videos that visually explains where to find Movie Maker 2012 after it is installed, just like I explained in my earlier post.

But many people will be pleased if MS does provide MM in a Windows App.

As I said, I am using Live Mail and it is still operating 100% It is necessary to change the server, though. I read that it no longer syncs with other programs. I don't actually have it syncing with anything, anyway.

If WLM users are not using Outlook.com, for their mail, for info and interest, why do you emphatically say it should not be used? I am referring to the desktop program, which is merely another Email fetcher/sender)

In deference, I must say I am only using it as a support Email program, for personal reasons. I have moved on, a while ago, to MS outlook.

If WLM users are not using Outlook.com, for their mail, for info and interest, why do you emphatically say it should not be used? I am referring to the desktop program, which is merely another Email fetcher/sender)

If you are referring to my answer, I say it should not be used is because of the mail conversion that Microsoft is in the middle of. In December 2015, they announced the migration of mail servers with a cutoff of June. That got extended a couple of times until it happened on Sept 11. 2016. Some accounts are still being migrated, but they will stop working at some time. Before that happens everyone with Windows Live Mail should convert to a different mail client.

In addition, support for the entire Windows Live Essentials will discontinue on January 10, 2017. They will probably remove the download link and you will not be able to install/reinstall any of Windows Live after that.

Part of this is probably due to Window Live required ASP.NET 3.5. They aren't going to fix the 2012 to work without it or with a newer version, so they are retiring programs that work with it.

Okay, after reviewing all your posts, I understand that you installed it but it 'wasn't there', meaning you couldn't find it on your system? So then you deleted it, meaning you uninstalled it from the Conrol Panel?

If this is right and when you try to reinstall it you get the screen above showing everything is installed, I think your only chance is to try go to the Windows Update Catalogue. It will prompt you to install an add-on for IE. Then you should see this page

upload_2016-9-14_6-16-7.png

Here's the link:

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/search.aspx?q=movie&maker

If you are referring to my answer, I say it should not be used is because of the mail conversion that Microsoft is in the middle of. In December 2015, they announced the migration of mail servers with a cutoff of June. That got extended a couple of times until it happened on Sept 11. 2016. Some accounts are still being migrated, but they will stop working at some time. Before that happens everyone with Windows Live Mail should convert to a different mail client.

In addition, support for the entire Windows Live Essentials will discontinue on January 10, 2017. They will probably remove the download link and you will not be able to install/reinstall any of Windows Live after that.

Part of this is probably due to Window Live required ASP.NET 3.5. They aren't going to fix the 2012 to work without it or with a newer version, so they are retiring programs that work with it.
Ok. We are off topic here, I guess, but, fwiw. Windows Live mail can be downloaded from quite reliable sources other than MS. For the time being, Net3.5 is still ready for download from the Programs and features -Windows features or, like WLM from third party sources.
Problems may be encountered if it is linked only to Outlook.com,.but, apart from that, it is a free standing Email program and will, otherwise, continue to work just fine.
My wife still uses it, extensively, without problems. Closed in respect of the thread title

Back
Top Bottom