Windows 7 Help, windows wont open after update

chambertots

During an automatic update from Microsoft last night the battery fell out of my daughters laptop. This morning, nothing will open. Have tried safe mode but even that won't open windows. After a lot of digging it says on the recovery management that there is a bad patch which presumably if the failed update. I have tried system restore and for the computer to repair itself but no go. I would hope that if I could install said update maybe it would be ok. I can only get any access to the contents via an external CD shich has a windows 7 rescue disc to allow you to boot up the startup recovery. I can access notepad and command prompt. Is there anyone who can help please?

chambertots:
Hello and welcome to the forums.
In the advanced boot options menu (F8 at system boot) have you tried the "Last Known Good" option?
Also from within the Windows 7 Recovery Environment (booting from rescue DVD) from within the command prompt you should be able to execute the System File Checker from the command prompt by typing
sfc /scannow /offbootdir=X:\ /offwindir=X:\windows (where "X" is the drive location of your windows 7 installation, according to the recovery environment)
You can identify the location of your windows 7 install by looking at the screens during the recovery wizard when it identifies the Windows 7 installations available for repair under the locations column the drive should be indicated there.
Hope this helps
Randy

Hi thanks for that. Sorry to be a bit dull but can you clarify what you mean about the X bit? Do you mean the drive (in this case D) and if so how do I specify this? drive D, drive D or what. Also do I literally just replace the X with that or all the = etc? Many thanks.
Amanda

Back
Top Bottom