Windows 7 Help with (re)-Installing Windows 7 Ultimate 64 on Samsung SSD.

MickFig

Ok, I have received at beat-down trying to install this ssd. Where I am at now. So, put in the ssd, but left my existing hard-drive in (wd caviar black 1TB) as I want to use the ssd for booting and the hdd for storage, etc. I did a clean install from my dvd of Windows 7. The problem I have now is that the hdd is C: and the SSD is B: I want those reversed or at least the ssd needs to be C:. AND, Windows will not boot with the ssd unplugged. I read somewhere if I reinstall Windows 7 from the disk I would be able to select "repair" somewhere near the beginning of the process and that the proper files would be reinstalled on the ssd etc.

The point I am at now (after several days of trying to get this done) is:
"Windows Setup cannot find a location to store temporary installation files. To install Windows, make sure that a partition on your boot disk has at least 814 megabytes (MB) of free space . Error code 0x8007040490"

I have been at this so long I am delirious from lack of sleep. HELP!!! Please!

Try removing your original drive.

Then re-install windows on the SSD which will make it C again. When your ready reattach the HDD drive and you might get a prompt at boot up asking which os to boot into but if not simply boot into windows and format the drive.

Try removing your original drive.

Then re-install windows on the SSD which will make it C again. When your ready reattach the HDD drive and you might get a prompt at boot up asking which os to boot into but if not simply boot into windows and format the drive.
Ok, reformatted "c" drive that contained files that my new installation of Windows on "B" drive (the ssd) that needed to boot up.
DVD drive must be defective because my Windows 7 Installation DVD will not boot up. So now I basically have nothing.

Now I am hoping someone can inform me how to create a boot usb drive on another computer since I can't use computer in question any longer.

Oh, and this is a store bought legitimate Windows 7 Ultimate 64 dvd.

Mick are you booting from the actual DVD?

To do this you need to enter the bios and change the boot order so that your DVD drive is first.
Reboot and then watch for the prompt to 'press any key' and the installation should start.
How to Reinstall Windows 7 From Scratch

You can create a usb install by using Rufus and the install disk you already have.

In fact thinking about it, you should be able to have both drives attached with this method (clean install). You'll come to a point with the install procedure on where you want to install the os and it's here you can format any drive as well as choosing the drive you want windows on.

When i do a clean install I simply clear all partitions so the drive is empty and then click next.

It sounds like you have been popping the windows disk in the drive and then clicking set up. This method won't work if no os is installed and you need to actually boot from the windows disk itself.

I think your disk is probably fine and you just need to boot from it.

Back
Top Bottom