Windows 7 Help with Windows 7 Home Premium install

pvanc

Extraordinary Member
Hello,

I recently installed Vista Home Premium 32 bit on my custom built desktop in preparation to install Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit. I have the disc for Windows 7 and a valid activation key.

Today at 3:40 I put in the disk and it loaded the temp files and started setup. It asked if I wanted to go online for updates and I did. Asked me to accept the license and I did. I chose 'upgrade install' and it went to check compatibility.
(I had already run the Windows 7 compatibility advisor and my desktop is ok for upgrade with no conflicting devices or programs). The compatibility report comes up and is blank and tells me it is saved to desktop. In the taskbar the progress line gets to about half way through 'collecting information' and just stops. Have left it as long as an hour and the install does not progress at all. The compatibility window has a close button at the bottom but that just takes me back to the beginning with the 'install now' window and repeats the whole process. When I click on the compatibility report on the desktop it takes me online to a blank page with no information.

How can I bypass all this and get to the installation?

pvanc

Make sure you turn off AV programs, firewalls and everything else that is loading..
run Msconfig / startup and unckec all boxes

If it still won't upgrade you should backup your data and software and do a clean install.

Hello,

I had ISO disc and a retail key and was having the stall at the blank compatibility report. I then bought a sealed brand new copy of Window 7 32 bit upgrade. I ran a compatibility report prior to even inserting the Windows 7 disc and have absolutely no conflicts to the Windows 7 install, and the report says 'this computer can be upgraded to Windows 7. I do not know what I could unistall to help. I have my antivirus disabled, any programs which load at boot up closed. Would love to be able to bypass the compatibility check which starts when I choose Upgrade install. Please help me avoid having to go through a clean install. Anybody?

I think that just about everyone here... as well as Microsoft recommends you do a clean install when you have such problems. Even if you get this fixed you'll probably be patching stuff for ... well until you give in and do a clean install. Buy a new hard drive, install to it then when you have time work on pulling the stuff off your old drive.

Custom install failed.

Today I did backup of all my files and settings, etc in Vista 32 bit. Inserted the Windows 7 32 bit upgrade disc and chose custom install. The install proceeded all the way through to 'completing installation' then a window came up saying that the installation failed. The only thing mentioned on the Windows 7 upgrade advisor is that I will need a new HP printer driver after the installation. Am I supposed to uninstall the HP printer and all its software from Vista before proceeding with the Windows 7 custom install. What shall I so to make this installation succeed? Should I go to msconfig and uncheck all the start up processes? What? I have all my files backed up and new downloaded installs saved on jump drive. Please help me complete this installation.

Thanks.

Today I did backup of all my files and settings, etc in Vista 32 bit. Inserted the Windows 7 32 bit upgrade disc and chose custom install. The install proceeded all the way through to 'completing installation' then a window came up saying that the installation failed. The only thing mentioned on the Windows 7 upgrade advisor is that I will need a new HP printer driver after the installation. Am I supposed to uninstall the HP printer and all its software from Vista before proceeding with the Windows 7 custom install. What shall I so to make this installation succeed? Should I go to msconfig and uncheck all the start up processes? What? I have all my files backed up and new downloaded installs saved on jump drive. Please help me complete this installation.Thanks.

Just finish the install... there'll be plenty time for printer drivers later. You shouldn't have any programs loading at startup under Msconfig... on a clean install. DON't use any vista drivers untill you have exhausted ALL possibilities to locate the latest drivers for Win 7,

Well I finally got my Windows 7 installation completed. I am still installing all my programs and updates, etc, but at least have the Win 7.

Thanks so much

Windows 7 compatibility report blank - crashes installation

I have the same problem, but do not get the option to select a custom upgrade. The compatibility check is clean. Here is what happens when I insert Win 7 upgrade disk:

I select the language: "My language is English"
A table with the followin appears:
- Language to Install
- Time and currency format
- Keyboard or input method

The second screen shows two options:
- Check compatibility online
- Install now

After I select Install now a screen shows the following:
- Setup is copying temporary files
- Setup is starting

A few second after this a white window pops up:
- Compatibility Report (saved to desktop)

The only option that is given is "Close". When I close the setup returns to the very first screen

Anyone has any ideas how to solve this issue?

Thank you.

Mmk

I tried and tried to do an upgrade install and always ended up as you described, with a blank compatability report.
I finally just backed up all my files onto an external hard drive and did a clean or custom install. The two choices were upgrade or custom. However, on looking back, I had done a compatability check prior to trying to do the upgrade and it said I had no conflicts. The only thing it mentioned is that the driver for my HP printer would need to be updated to a Windows 7 driver after the install. After going all through the whole custom install I was told the install failed. I then decided to completely remove the Vista HP drivers from the files and then did the install again. Clean install. And that worked. It just would not install with the Vista driver in the files. I do not know if the same thing would work with the upgrade installation because I did not delete the drivers before I tried the upgrade. Anyway anything that is mentioned in the stand alone compatability check report as needing to be updated should be removed before trying the install of any kind. At least it worked for me.

Hope this helps.

Drew and Pvanc,

Thank you for your responses. I bought Asus notebook a couple of months ago, and received the Win 7 upgrade disk from Asus. I ran the compatibility check, and it is clean, there is nothing that needs to be removed or unistalled. During the first time I tried to install the Win 7, there were 2 choice, "Upgrade" and "Custom". Back then I just wanted to upgrade, so I selected "Upgrade". It did not go through, as I described below. During the second and following attemps, I did not even had a chance to see the "Upgrade" and "Custom" selection screen. It just stops when "Compatibility Report (saved to desktop)" blank screen appears, and the only thing I can do is close this window. After that the installation goes back to the very first screen and it all starts over.

Thank you,

MMK

Back