Windows 7 How access Outlook files?

Neal Carron

I want to backup my Office 2007 Outlook .pst and .ost files.
On WinXp they're under ... Application data .... in Documents and Settings.
But on Win7, the D&S folder doesn't appear in Windows Explorer.
It does show if you choose Tools -> Options -> View and select display hidden OS files. But you still can't access it.
How do I get ahold of my Outlook files so I can copy them to an external disk?

Backing up mail from outlook is fairly easy as long as you know where to find everything.
One option is to create new archives of your e-mails from within outlook.
To do this open the program and select a folder ie your inbox then click file >import and export.
Select export to folder .pst and click next browse to a location to save to and give it a name then click OK. Outlook will then export e-mails in the selected mailbox to the new .pst file which can be stored elsewhere for safekeeping.
You already have .pst files with your emails in so you can do a search for .pst files in windows search.
Once you find them in particular outlook.pst and archive .pst copy them to a safe place ie external drive this will keep your emails safe and you can simply import your backups or copy them over when you upgrade.
Please be aware that .pst files are for outlook only and not outlook express or gmail or windows mail etc. of course if you install outlook into windows 7 you can import them without issues.
Hope this helps you out.

Open Outlook
click tools
click account settings
click data files
This will show you where the files are located

Back