Windows 7 How do I make a backup of my Windows 7 OS onto DVD

russellgrd

Hi All, I have purchased a Dell desktop and this did not come with any windows 7 CDS so I have bought some RW DVDS to make a backup of the OS which is on my pc. I have googled for an hour now and cannot find any smooth process. The only thing found was making a system repair disk, however I want the full Windows 7 OS on a dvd so I can sleep safe knowing if my pc crashes or breaks I have the windows 7 DVD. Can any one point me to a step by step guide, or advise how I do this please. I dont really know much about ISO images but can follow instructions well!

Thanks alot for your help!

Russell

I would look on Dell's site again. There should be an option to make a recovery disk set it would take 2 or 3 DVD,s.
Joe

Hi All, I have purchased a Dell desktop and this did not come with any windows 7 CDS so I have bought some RW DVDS to make a backup of the OS which is on my pc. I have googled for an hour now and cannot find any smooth process. The only thing found was making a system repair disk, however I want the full Windows 7 OS on a dvd so I can sleep safe knowing if my pc crashes or breaks I have the windows 7 DVD. Can any one point me to a step by step guide, or advise how I do this please. I dont really know much about ISO images but can follow instructions well!

Thanks alot for your help!

Russell
You have a few options, since this is a new machine a call to Dell tech support should help you with info about how to create
a restore DVD.
Actually I'm surprised your computer isn't bugging you to make a restore DVD.

My Acer had no OS disk etc. but it would nag me about creating a restore DVD until I finally gave in and created one.

Dell probably has a hidden partition containing restore files that you can access from a boot option or a builtin restore program.
Usually this will restore your system back to the condition it was in when it was new.

Your owners manual may help here.

This will restore your system to factory, including any "bloatware" Dell "thoughtfully" provided.

Any DVD you might make using the program provided by Dell would probably do the same.

Another option is to call Dell and insist that they provide you with a Win 7 (appropriate version) DVD as well as a driver disk if needed.
It may cost a few dollars but having the actual Win 7 DVD is preferable to any other option.

Another option is to image your C: drive\partition with a program like the free Clonezilla Live or the paid Acronis True Image.

If you choose that route I would wait until you have purged your system of any "bloatware" you don't want
and have customized your system to your satisfaction to include installing any additional software and performing all updates including the recently released Service Pack 1.

This approach creates an image of your system at the moment the image was created.
It can be stored on a DVD if the image is small enough or better yet on an external USB hard drive.
External drives are relatively inexpensive these days and are an excellent backup solution.

You can easily restore the image from a external drive using the programs I mentioned.

Below is a link to a guide I posted at another forum on using Clonezilla Live.
http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=38812&hl=frank+golden

Hi

This is how I did it on my wifes Dell a year ago.

Creating Your System Recovery Discs with Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 - KB Article - 353561 | Dell

I also did as fjgold suggested and used the System Image app in Windows 7 to make a System Image that will restore her computer with all of here files and software in place.

How to Create a System Image in Windows 7 - How-To Geek

Mike
Mike did you test the image?

You still should insist on Dell providing an OS DVD and driver disks.
You paid for the OS license so they should provide you with the disks on request.
As I said in my previous there may be a small fee but it's worth it to have the media.

[langtitle=id]Re: How do I make a backup of my Windows 7 OS onto DVD[/langtitle]

[lang=id]coba gunakan ACRONIS TRUE IMAGE 2011, mungkin akan memberi solusi[/lang]

Re: [langtitle=id]Re: How do I make a backup of my Windows 7 OS onto DVD[/langtitle]

Hi fjgold

I did confirm that the disk I created booted and showed the normal options, I didn't try and run an install from it.

I'm actually relying more on the System Image if I should have to restore it.
That disk booted as well, and the backup is on an external hard drive.

I probably should install Ghost on her computer and make a Ghost backup too.

My own computer came with a real Windows DVD, plus a System Restore disk that will restore it to the way it was when it was delivered, with everything tweaked and configured.

Mike

Anyone know it there is anything that would block using my Windows 7 DVD to reinstall on her computer if I have her registration number. Her computer did come with Driver disks.

How much do companies like Dell save by not giving you a Windows DVD, they must still have to pay Microsoft for the operating system, so how does that work?

Re: [langtitle=id]Re: How do I make a backup of my Windows 7 OS onto DVD[/langtitle]

Hi fjgold

I did confirm that the disk I created booted and showed the normal options, I didn't try and run an install from it.

I'm actually relying more on the System Image if I should have to restore it.
That disk booted as well, and the backup is on an external hard drive.

I probably should install Ghost on her computer and make a Ghost backup too.

My own computer came with a real Windows DVD, plus a System Restore disk that will restore it to the way it was when it was delivered, with everything tweaked and configured.

Mike

Anyone know it there is anything that would block using my Windows 7 DVD to reinstall on her computer if I have her registration number. Her computer did come with Driver disks.

How much do companies like Dell save by not giving you a Windows DVD, they must still have to pay Microsoft for the operating system, so how does that work?
I use Clonezilla live to create images and part of my standard operating procedure is to perform a restore as soon as I make an image, while still in Clonezilla. This proves that the image will work when needed.

I imagine Dell saves a little by not providing recovery media. How much I don't know. Probably the cost of pressing the disks.
Actually when you think about it that could actually be substantial considering they would be pressing thousands or millions of disks.
Of course they pay MS for the license (bulk rate nonetheless).

Back