Windows 7 How do you delete windows 7 files

shadow85

How do I delete Windows 7 files/folders from an old hard disk I no longer use for booting from.
I cannot delete these folders:
Program Files, Program Files(x86), ProgramData, Windows.

I get this error msg when I try to delete the above:
"You need permission to perform this action.

You require permission from TrustedInstaller to make changes to this folder"

Also I cannot delete any protected operating system files/folders, it says I need permission from the administrator. I am the administrator and there are no other user accounts on my computer.

The drive I want to delete all windows operating system files/folders from is no longer used as a boot disk, as I use another different hard drive for that.

So deleting anything from the drive shouldnt b a problem even if there is important files, because the disk is no longer the boot hard disk.

Are you sure it is no longer used as a boot disk?

Perhaps attach a snipping tool picture of your disk management window using the paper clip. There might be a situation where a partition on the old drive is still involved in your system.

Yes im positive that this hard disk is not used for booting from.

here is my situation, I have 2 hard rives:

Hard drive 0 (raptor HDD): Windows 7 - Use this to boot from, store all programs, games etc.

Hard drive 1 (SATA HDD): Also has Windows 7 Installed - Use this HDD to store media. Does not boot from this disk, nor do I have an option to, at system startup.

Now I want to delete all windows operating files/programs, system files etc etc from Hard disk 1, as it is not needed, it does not boot from that disk. In essence I want to uninstall windows 7 from Hard drive 1.

Hello !!

As I mentioned before you might need to either Login under Build-in administrator or Take Ownership and then try to delete those file. Follow this Tutorial to enable Build-in administrator Built-in Administrator Account - Enable or Disable - Windows 7 Forums and Take Ownership Shortcut - Windows 7 Forums if that didn't work then login under Safe Mode and delete them from that location. If it's Windows.old folder then check this article Windows.old Folder - Delete - Windows 7 Forums

Hope this helps,
Captain

hi thanks, I will try out those tutorials. BTW it is not windows.old on hardisk 1, because it had windows 7 installed on that fresh.

Hello !!

The Last tutorial is only if you have Windows.old folder if not just check the first two Tutorials !!

- Captain

Apologies for any inconvenience, it seems another moderator accidentally deleted this thread. I've restored it. :)

Hi thanks for the guides, I have been able to delete several Windows 7 related folders by using the method described here:
Context Menu - Take Ownership - Vista Forums

and using the take ownership of the folder via context menu.

I have managed to delete ProgramFiles(x86), and ProgramFiles folders, but the ProgramData and Windows folders still blatantly refuse to delete saying I still need permission. This is very frustrating, anything else I can try?

Quite frankly, these are folders you don't want to delete.

Hello moderator.

Obviously you have not read what my thread is about as you'd see I dont need these files.

heres a quick recap:
I have Windows 7 installed on two HDD's, I only use one of those to boot into windows from, so the other HDD I want to delete all windows files/folders as I dont use it.

Woops my mistake, didn't really read your first post. You're going to want to go with Capt'n Jack. FileASSASSIN is highly effective.
Again, apologies for my idiosyncrasy. :)

Hello !!

Could could try the Hard delete method using FileASSASSIN: Malwarebytes and Link Removed - Invalid URL i have seen most cases it used to delete files. Make sure you Turn off UAC before using those.

Good Luck,
Captain

I looked at the FILEASSASSIN program and it only deletes files. There is 60, 000 files all together in the two folders and its subfolders I need 2 delete. not sure if I will drag and drop 60k files, lol.

the website to the unlocker has been reported as unsafe by my Windows web browser, im guessing the program contains adware/spyware and or viruses? or is this false alarm?

Back