Windows 7 How do you delete windows 7 files

shadow85

How do I delete Windows 7 files/folders from an old hard disk I no longer use for booting from.
I cannot delete these folders:
Program Files, Program Files(x86), ProgramData, Windows.

I get this error msg when I try to delete the above:
"You need permission to perform this action.

You require permission from TrustedInstaller to make changes to this folder"

Also I cannot delete any protected operating system files/folders, it says I need permission from the administrator. I am the administrator and there are no other user accounts on my computer.

The drive I want to delete all windows operating system files/folders from is no longer used as a boot disk, as I use another different hard drive for that.

So deleting anything from the drive shouldnt b a problem even if there is important files, because the disk is no longer the boot hard disk.

Are you sure it is no longer used as a boot disk?

Perhaps attach a snipping tool picture of your disk management window using the paper clip. There might be a situation where a partition on the old drive is still involved in your system.

Yes im positive that this hard disk is not used for booting from.

here is my situation, I have 2 hard rives:

Hard drive 0 (raptor HDD): Windows 7 - Use this to boot from, store all programs, games etc.

Hard drive 1 (SATA HDD): Also has Windows 7 Installed - Use this HDD to store media. Does not boot from this disk, nor do I have an option to, at system startup.

Now I want to delete all windows operating files/programs, system files etc etc from Hard disk 1, as it is not needed, it does not boot from that disk. In essence I want to uninstall windows 7 from Hard drive 1.

Hello !!

As I mentioned before you might need to either Login under Build-in administrator or Take Ownership and then try to delete those file. Follow this Tutorial to enable Build-in administrator Built-in Administrator Account - Enable or Disable - Windows 7 Forums and Take Ownership Shortcut - Windows 7 Forums if that didn't work then login under Safe Mode and delete them from that location. If it's Windows.old folder then check this article Windows.old Folder - Delete - Windows 7 Forums

Hope this helps,
Captain

hi thanks, I will try out those tutorials. BTW it is not windows.old on hardisk 1, because it had windows 7 installed on that fresh.

Hello !!

The Last tutorial is only if you have Windows.old folder if not just check the first two Tutorials !!

- Captain

Apologies for any inconvenience, it seems another moderator accidentally deleted this thread. I've restored it. :)

Hi thanks for the guides, I have been able to delete several Windows 7 related folders by using the method described here:
Context Menu - Take Ownership - Vista Forums

and using the take ownership of the folder via context menu.

I have managed to delete ProgramFiles(x86), and ProgramFiles folders, but the ProgramData and Windows folders still blatantly refuse to delete saying I still need permission. This is very frustrating, anything else I can try?

Quite frankly, these are folders you don't want to delete.

Hello moderator.

Obviously you have not read what my thread is about as you'd see I dont need these files.

heres a quick recap:
I have Windows 7 installed on two HDD's, I only use one of those to boot into windows from, so the other HDD I want to delete all windows files/folders as I dont use it.

Hello !!

Could could try the Hard delete method using FileASSASSIN: Malwarebytes and Link Removed - Invalid URL i have seen most cases it used to delete files. Make sure you Turn off UAC before using those.

Good Luck,
Captain

Woops my mistake, didn't really read your first post. You're going to want to go with Capt'n Jack. FileASSASSIN is highly effective.
Again, apologies for my idiosyncrasy. :)

Hello !!

Could could try the Hard delete method using FileASSASSIN: Malwarebytes and Link Removed - Invalid URL i have seen most cases it used to delete files. Make sure you Turn off UAC before using those.

Good Luck,
Captain

I looked at the FILEASSASSIN program and it only deletes files. There is 60, 000 files all together in the two folders and its subfolders I need 2 delete. not sure if I will drag and drop 60k files, lol.

the website to the unlocker has been reported as unsafe by my Windows web browser, im guessing the program contains adware/spyware and or viruses? or is this false alarm?

Never used it before, but apparently the linux live boot disc should let you delete just about anything

Back
Top Bottom