Windows 7 How many times have you installed Windows 7?

mike2k9

Going back as far as the beta build, and earlier for some of you. For me:

Laptop: 1x 32-bit
XPC-Shuttle: 1x 32-bit
HP xw6200: 2x 64-bit
HP xw6200: 5x 32-bit

Total so far= 9

First I installed Build 7000. I got that from M$. Then I tried 7057 which couldn't handle my network properly. So I got 7048 and stuck with that til I got 7100. 7057 and 7048 both came from torrents and 7100 was from M$. I plan to stick with the RC til the RTM comes out. The only way I might try a different build is if one comes along with the Classic Start Menu. I still don't like the new one.

Now there is talk of malware and botnets coming along with the torrent downloads. I don't know how much truth there is to all of that but I don't want to mess with it. Build 7100 is working great for now.

So that makes 4 times I installed Windows 7. Why is there no option for clicking 2 or 4. Did whoever set that up think there was no possibility for someone to have done 2 or 4 installations. That means I'm not allowed to vote in the poll.

Sorry for the lack of options. I was so frustrated after the last install when I created this. I have no problems with Win7, it's been hardware issues. On my xw6200 Win7 refuses to play nice with my S-ATA Raid controller. It's been hit or miss, and when I hit, it eventually gives me problems.

But still, thought it coulda been a fun poll, if I had the right number of responses. My Bad :(

I automatically have at least 10 times due to the fact that I'm running 5 PC's at home with Win 7 on them.. ;) But the last option is the most fitting.. ;)

I've only installed it about 8 times :) two desktops and my laptop and then a mates laptop.

Sorry for the lack of options. I was so frustrated after the last install when I created this. I have no problems with Win7, it's been hardware issues. On my xw6200 Win7 refuses to play nice with my S-ATA Raid controller. It's been hit or miss, and when I hit, it eventually gives me problems.

But still, thought it coulda been a fun poll, if I had the right number of responses. My Bad :(
Hey it's no biggy dude. I guess I came across as a bit of a jerk. Sorry about that. :( I coulda just answered 4 without complaining.

I wish I could help you with that raid thing. Mine just sailed right through the SATA raid set up. Don't know what to say.

I've installed it on my desktop and my netbook. I installed 32bit first and then switched to 64bit. Windows7 RC1 I've installed three times, once on my netbook and twice on my desktop. Oh, when I installed 64bit on my desktop it went south, a defective motherboard/processor and the defect didn't appear till I installed 64bit. So that added two installs.

So there is an option to do it with the monitor turned on !:D

I have been through nearly all the builds :) As soon as a build becomes available I go for it = me sad . Just cannot stop myself :D

I guess I installed beta twice once 32 bit and the other 64 bit. Ended up sticking with 32 bit.
I did the same with the RC.
I've also installed a couple of times, temporary, to test whether there is a difference between installing from a DVD or USB flash drive. Flash drive wins hands down BTW.

My present install is the one I did on May 5 (7100 build) fully customized with all my normal programs and fully patched/updated. I just created a "partimage" image last night in case I mess up.

Hey it's no biggy dude. I guess I came across as a bit of a jerk. Sorry about that. :( I coulda just answered 4 without complaining.

I wish I could help you with that raid thing. Mine just sailed right through the SATA raid set up. Don't know what to say.

Thanks stueycaster. Win7 has no problem with my individual SATA drives, but as soon as I create the Raid Volume, it flips out. I've got it to go through 2 times on the raid, but when it finishes expanding files, i get an error about "Unable to update boot configuration" or something along those lines. Bummer to, because I've always noticed the performance difference when using Raid 0 over a single drive. It was really hard to give this up on my XP build. But gotta move on.

I expect to have a new custom machine by the time Win7 is officially realeased, so hopefully it won't be a problem

Just the one time. I held off on the betas, but have the Build 7100 RC installed on one machine running 64-bit. So far I like it. The only big incompatibility I've found is Symantec Endpoint Protection in 64-bit is not configured to install the POP3 Mail protection by design, so I switched to McAfee Virus Scan and Anti-Spam Enterprise version. The Mcafee products installed native 64-bit and run 64-bit scans with no issues that I can tell. A minor issue is that Adobe Acrobat Pro 7 does not install a print driver, so I cannot create PDF files. Not a huge problem though.

12 times .... All fresh install. ~20 minutes each to the first login screen:

• Build 6801 (laptop + desktop)
  • Build 6956 (laptop + desktop)
  • Build 7000[Beta] (laptop + desktop)
  • Bulid 7057 (desktop only)
  • Bulid 7077 (laptop + desktop)
  • Bulid 7100[RC] (3 times laptop 32/64 bit + desktop 64 bit)
  • ..... No Pre-RTM yet :D waiting for 7200
Aside from the early builds (6801/6956) which i face number of issue with the network, Windows 7 Installation/use was very smooth, the only issue i had was GPU driver on 64-bit (i had to hack generic driver for it to work).

Well, lets see.
4 times pre-beta.
twice beta.
three post beta
2 RC
Four post RC

So that's fifteen.

Back