Windows 10 How to avoid having to sign in twice?

Hermitkrab

Honorable Member
Toshiba laptop, Widows 10 home anniversary.

When I first turn on my computer, I need to log into that screen. Then, there's a 2nd screen that I need to log on to. My old laptop, running XP, needed only to log on to the first screen. Is there something I can do to eliminate one of these screens without messing with the registry? . I know one of the screens is the lock screen, but don't know which one. Thanks.

Hi

I'm wondering if you have some security software installed by the computers manufacturer that prompts you to log in before it starts loading Windows?

If I have my computer ask for a log in at all, I see the lock screen and that's it.

Normally I just have it log in directly with no password entry.

You can try stopping the login request and see if you still get the other password screen.

How to disable login screen on Win 10

Mike

a screenshot or camera image of these two login screens would help clear the matter up

Toshiba laptop, Widows 10 home anniversary.

When I first turn on my computer, I need to log into that screen. Then, there's a 2nd screen that I need to log on to. My old laptop, running XP, needed only to log on to the first screen. Is there something I can do to eliminate one of these screens without messing with the registry? . I know one of the screens is the lock screen, but don't know which one. Thanks.

The lock screen can be bypassed quite easily as you can have your sign in details entered automatically.

Open the run command and type 'netplwiz', then click ok.

You will see a dialogue box appear and you'll need to uncheck the box saying all 'Users must enter a username and password'.

Once apply is clicked then another box will appear for a username and password.

Fill in your details and you'll no longer need to sign in as it will run though automatically.

Not sure about the other screen, as Norway suggests, a screenshot may help..

Sounds like you have a BIOS password or Hard Drive password set. Sometimes, there is also an Admin password, which works to secure the access to the BIOS as well. Depends on the exact Model and which BIOS that model Toshiba is using. Toshiba uses several different BIOSes as most of the OEM laptop makers also do, i.e. Dell, HP, Acer, etc.

If you clear the login password on W10 home, also called the Welcome screen and you are still left with a password; undoubtedly it's the BIOS/Admin or Hard Drive password as I mentioned. There are free utilities to Clear this password, specifically on the UBCD Linux rescue Disc. You can download this for free here: UBCD.com. It can be tricky to create this Disc or USB, so you might want to check with your local Computer Pro and ask to borrow his disk. He may not let you have his, but rather will make you a copy for $10 or $15 and that's perfectly legal under the GNU Linux license. It's public domain software, as long as he labels the disc correctly.

Alternatively, you can take your laptop to a repair shop such as Geek Squad where they employ A+ licensed Technicians. A+ Techs are supplied with BIOS password cracker software in their A+ curriculum (I trained A+ Techs for many years). They can usually reset your BIOS passwords in under an hour. Charges range from $45-$100 or so in the US.

Once you've removed the BIOS/Hard Drive password, or paid a Tech to do for you, you can go to ACCOUNTS in SETTINGS, and give your laptop a new password for a local account, or use the Microsoft Account Login (Store login) for the Owner of the laptop. If this is your laptop, you may have had an Owner Account password (on there now), but only for a Local Account Login. In W10 those 2 are different. The main difference being with a Microsoft Account Login, you have access to the Microsoft Store and the Universe of media you can download via purchase or for free for things such as the DVD player (missing in W10), Movies, Music, Movies, Xbox games, etc. It is also possible to tie an existing E-mail address you already have, say a Yahoo, Gmail, or AOL E-mail address to be your Microsoft Account Login. My Microsoft Account login uses an actual Microsoft E-mail account, ending with @outlook.com. But, you don't need a Microsoft E-mail address to use the Microsoft Account Login. This is very confusing to new W10 users!!o_O

Finally, within the ACCOUNTS page, you have the ability to switch between the 2 types of W10 Accounts! :fdance: You can login with your Local Account if you never intend to download anything from Microsoft Store, and if you change your mind, you can switch your Account login type over to the Microsoft Account Login (the one you registered your non-Microsoft E-mail address to) AT ANY TIME,:applaud: and then you'd have the capability of downloading content from the Microsoft Store.:up:

Hope this helps you.:encouragement:
<<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>>

Hello, Big bear. As far as I know, I only have an admin PW set up. I set it up to use only 4-digit pin to log in. It's not a big deal to log in twice. I'm never in a rush. Anyhow, I'll follow the suggestions by you and the others here. I tried the "netplwiz" thing and the box is unchecked. Doesn't matter, I still need to use the pin twice, same as before. I'm slowly learning, thanks to you folks. :)

Screenshots or camera images are going to be helpful in giving you a better answer and the model of the Toshiba laptop. Some of the items that can require passwords to login (some of the already mentioned)
  • Windows login
  • HDD passwords (Set in BIOS)
  • Boot password (Set in BIOS)
  • Encryption Software
  • 3rd party security software
  • BIOS password (this only comes into play if you try to enter BIOS)

I can't take a screenshot because only my right arm works, and I can't span the keyboard to hit the proper keys. Anyhow, I've learned a lot from this thread.

BTW, the Toshiba model is L55-A5226

See if the supervisor password is set. If so you can delete it as follows. You can see if it's set with the same utility. There is a 'user password' as well that can be set or deleted in the same 'Password Utility'.
tsp.png

Hi

You can make screen shots using one hand by using the built in Snipping Tool in Windows 10.
Just put the app on your task bar and your all set.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom