Windows 7 How to change Win 7 Calculator Font / Missing Font

Smerc

I deleted a few fonts from my font folder the other day and it seems that a few OS fonts were deleted in the process. Usually Ive got a message saying something along the lines of "this is a OS font" or "in use".

Question:

I noticed that my default calculator font is missing and was curious if anyone knows what font the calculator uses. I got a substituted font from the deleted one, but it looks terrible.

If nobody knows the above. Then would anyone happen to know how to change the calculator font?

-----
I went into a font deletion frenzy because I had some non-OS fonts that made my font list bulky and it took a while to scroll to the more used fonts. So I deleted some to combat this. Photoshop loads a lot faster as well due to less fonts(my little takeaway tip from all this).
-----

Thanks for any feedback.

Many of the Windows Fonts are Segoe UI. If you right click the desktop, go to personalize, advanced appearance settings, on some of the entries, a font will be listed.

If you were to select Menu in the Item drop down list, it should show the Segoe UI font Size 9. If it does not, you need to replace that font.

Many of the Windows Fonts are Segoe UI. If you right click the desktop, go to personalize, advanced appearance settings, on some of the entries, a font will be listed.

If you were to select Menu in the Item drop down list, it should show the Segoe UI font Size 9. If it does not, you need to replace that font.

I still have Segoe UI listed in my fonts.

I also checked under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontSubstitutes" and most of the substitutes are for "MS Sans Serif", which I don't have except for "Microsoft Sans Serif" and "MS Sans Serif Regular". I take it having "Regular" after "MS Sans Serif" wouldn't make a difference? When you click on the fonts, they list font names as their substitute names. So it seems "regular" @ the end has no impact on the actual fonts name or substitute(just indicating there's no bold/italic attributes I guess?).

I doubt I'm stupid enough to delete "MS Sans Serif" since I know/knew that it's a very common font that's used by the OS, but then again I'm in the situation I'm in because I was stupid enough to delete a OS font(now trying to get to the bottom of which key font was deleted).

Hi

Find another Windows 7 computer, copy the fonts folder, move it to your computer some place, re-install all of the default fonts.

Select all, right click, install.

It will tell you which fonts are already installed but you can just reload them all.

If you delete them again you will have a backup.

I wouldn't delete any of the default fonts myself.

Mike

You could always try restoring your system, that would probably repair the font problem.

You could try running a System File Check from an Administrative command prompt. In some cases it will restore fonts.

Backups to the fonts might be in your C:\Windows\winsxs folder. Searching for a particular one will usually result in finding a .ttf file. If you deleted the fonts, it may also have removed the backup, not sure. But I am showing around 11 versions of the Segoe font installed. The regular notation just means it is the basic version and not bold or italic or whatever.

If you find a font in the above folder, you may be able to right click it and select Install.

Are all of the calculator characters messed up, or just certain ones?

Old thread, but I have just encountered the same problem.
I have tried to use nexusFont to trim down my installed fonts, and accidentally deleted the calculator font (Windows 7).

After some investigation, I found out the font used is Consolas (luckily the number "0" is quite special so identifiable).
Hope this helps.

win7_ff_calc_rtm_02.jpg

Back
Top Bottom