Windows 7 How to disable/get rid of Application Experience & CEIP

dmcmillen

Extraordinary Member
In the Control Panel Action Center I have Opted out of participating in the CEIP program (don't ever remember opting in). Here's what I see:
Task scheduler
Customer Experience Improvement Program
(3 tasks)
Consolidator (%SystemRoot%\System32\wsqmcons.exe)
KernelCeipTask (Custom Handler)
UsbCeip (Custom Handler)​

Application Experience
(3 tasks )
AitAgent (AitAgent)
Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser
(%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe aepdu.dll,AePduRunUpdate - nolegacy)
(%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe appraiser.dll,DoScheduledTelemetryRun)​
ProgramDataUpdater
(%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe aepdu.dll,AePduRunUpdate)
(%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe invagent.dll,RunUpdate)​

Services
Application Experience (AeLookupSvc), Path C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs, Manual,
Processes application compatibility cache requests for applications as they are launched
I would like to know what I can disable/get rid of or is there a KB update that was installed that I can uninstall. Note that invagent.dll is using up a lot of CPU, usually 300 - 400 seconds of kernel time at close to 100% daily.

It looks to me like I can disable the 3 CEIP tasks (consolidator, KernelCeipTask and USbCeip) and at least the 2 Application Experience tasks (AitAgent and ProgramDataUpdater).

However, I'm not so sure about the Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser task although "Telemetry" sounds to me like data collection for something. And I think I would need the AeLookupSvc (Application Experience) Service as it looks to me like it's needed for updates.

Anyway, would appreciate some help here. Thanks - David

Last edited:
After a bit more investigation, it is looking like this is part of MS silently preparing the PC for possible update to Win 10. I have identified at least 5 updates on my machine that I believe deal with this:
KB2990214
KB2952664
KB3022345
KB3021917 (I believe creator of the above tasks)
KB3035583

Could someone please verify that this is the case?
Can I uninstall these? Will that get rid of scheduled tasks (that I know about)
Will MS try to install again? If so what is the best way to handle to keep that from happening?

This is pretty irritating especially since invagent.dll runs at close to 100% cpu for 300 - 400 seconds of kernel time every day.

David

Hi David,

You agree to the terms and conditions in order to use any legal copy of Windows and the patch system is one of those, so Microsoft has the right (under US law) to opt you in but yes, you have the right to opt back out again… assuming you find out about it.

Could someone please verify that this is the case?

Sort of, you WILL need those patches to interface with the Microsoft patch server and download 10 when the time comes… until then it depends on what your particular Windows 7 machine does as 7-help is over now.

Back
Top Bottom