Windows 7 how to go from windows 7 32 bit to 64 bit

Michael Downard

Ok so i have windows 7 home premium 32 bit. But i need to get windows 7 64 bit. So how do i get 64 bit for my computer. I have a laptop. What do i need to do to get 64 bit in my computer. I know i need a clean reinstall but what does that mean. Do i need to buy a new windows 7 disk that is 64 bit and download it to my computer. I do not have a windows 7 disc. When i bought my computer it already had windows 7 32 bit in it. But is that what i need to do. Is buy a new disc of windows 7 that is 64 bit and download it to my computer.

The short answer to your questions is yes.
You need to purchase a new copy of the install media (Retail Full Version) of the Windows 7 64bit version you want (Premium, Professional, Ultimate) and perform a custom clean install. Save yourself some headache and don't try it with Upgrade media, although there is some discussion as to whether or not you can perform a clean install from upgrade media, I don't think overall the potential problems outweigh the price differential.
Also be sure to backup all your critical data files to an external medium for safe keeping.

Back
Top Bottom