Windows 8 How to remove the Password at the start up!

AmgedIsmail

Hello,
I have to type a password when the Windows start....
How can I remove this and let the Windows starts immediately?

Same way as always.
From the metro UI type
run
and hit enter
in the run dialog box type
control userpasswords2
and hit enter
from the user accounts dialog box select your username and uncheck the top box that says
"Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer"
On the Automatically sign in page make sure your username is present in the top text box and then enter and confirm your password for that user, click OK and OK again and reboot. That should do it. Works for me.
Regards
Randy

Duh! Type "Run" where? There is no command box.

The best thing is to NOT put in a password when you install Win-8. It installs just fine without one.

:cool:

Addendum: In the Army we had a saying, "As you were". It means disregard what just happened, or what was just said.

I followed the instructions (from Randy) to the letter, not even understanding what I was doing, at first. Then as things began appearing on the screen it all started to make sense, but how on earth, would a brand new owner of a Windows 8 PC ever know to do that? It boggles me mind!
Randy, thank you for that tip. It opens up a whole new avenue of endeavor. As with earlier versions of Windows, the run box is a valuable avenue to get to MSCONFIG, regedit, Services.msc and a command prompt (CMD). I just wonder what drug induced haze, caused them to hide that run box so thoroughly?

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand the instructions here, but tell me this, in today's age of cyber thieves, why would one NOT want a password on their computer? People can come over & when your back is turned, or are occupied with other things, go to your personal computer & totally ruin it. It takes only seconds to totally format a computer, a reboot will be necessary, but still it takes no time.

And your personal, private information, what about that? As well as your installer files to reinstall your programs with, and any keys needed.

If you weren't going to have a password on the OS, the least that you could do is enter the BIOS & create one there. This prevents anyone, even with a boot disk, from accessing your computer & it's contents. Creating a supervisor password may be required.

The same goes for wireless routers. In my neighborhood alone, I can "see" at least 7 "unsecured" connections that has at least a 3 bar strength at all times, except when the cable service is down. Both are potentially dangerous practices.

Cat

Run and Search are both available from the Desktop by using Win Key + X in the Power Users Menu.

My belief is that passwords are much more important on laptops and/or tablets than on desktops as these devices are much more portable. I have passwords on both our laptops and will always have. It does not take much time or effort to enter a password and it does add a small layer of security.

Point of view perhaps? It most certainly is "hidden". But then, Even in Windows 7, you needed to customise a couple of things to get the "Run" to be available. I have found that everything that was in 7 is, somewhere, in 8 also - just find it!

On the subject of passwords. It is so easy to bypass the windows password but, like burglar alarms, leaving your lights on etc, it tends to make the intruder move on to something easier.

That's the whole point. It kind of keeps honest people honest! If I were doing a lot of traveling I would most likely PW protect through my Bios as well, but I do not, so I don't.

Neither do I. Unless I were on the go with my notebook, I wouldn't lock it down through the BIOS. But if I were to have a lot of company, which I seldom do anymore, I would.

And if I were to go on a vacation (or hospital stay), I would lock down all of my computers that way. But these things do just keep honest people honest, as Ted pointed out. An experienced user who knows what's going on, provided he/she has the time, can reset the BIOS on most any computer. The procedure clears all custom settings & reverts them to factory default.

Cat

Occasionally you need a password like to create a task. I just had to create a task to make my old Hosts Toggle.exe load on startup. You get prompted for a password there and on Vista it was needed in Task Management.
Joe

Back
Top Bottom