How To Safely Share my Computers?

abrogard

Extraordinary Member
we have about seven computers all running some version of windows from xp to 10. So's I can move files between them at will I habitually share all the drives. And, of course, every time I do I run into Microsoft's warning about sharing root drives.

never worried me. but now we have this ransomware thing and there seems to be no protection.

how should i set permissions and sharing on my drives across these computers so's I can enjoy easy of moving files and still be as safe from ransomware and whatever other threats as possible?

The easiest thing would be if they were only shared for me as admin but that's not what happens, is it and even then I suppose ransomware logs in as admin so it'd be no protection against it.

we have this wonderful big time professional file security thing in windows but it might as well not be there for all the good it seems to be to me.

where am I wrong? what should I do?

Hi @abrogard I will try to answer part of your thread about ransomeware! I will also attach a cool link from MBAM about this subject
How to beat ransomware: Prevent, don't react
Next, as much as it may pain you, you need to create secure backups of your data on a regular basis. You can purchase USBs or an external hard drive where you can save new or updated files—just be sure to physically disconnect the devices from your computer after backing up, otherwise they can become infected with ransomware, too. Cloud storage is another option, but we recommend using a server with high-level encryption and multiple-factor authentication.

Many programs claim they can prevent Ransomware but I have an issue proving that as this stuff is too dangerous to play around with.
Malwarebytes, NOd32, Kaspersky and Emsisoft all claim they repel it .

With 7 computers, you are really doing things the hard way and I'll be getting some of those to talk to each other were real fun to setup and maintain.

You fit a classic definition for a small server backed up to a NAS drive that can be off most of the time for safety. That can be done under $1,000
utilizing really inexpensive Lenovo server and Buffalo or NetGear Nas drive

I use malwarebytes, the only one from your list I do use.

It was easy getting them to talk to each other. 7 computers (more actually, those are the windows ones) doesn't matter, of course, it is the OS's they're running. Being all from the same stable you'd expect them to communicate alright. Being MS you wouldn't be so sure. But in fact they do. There's only XP, 7 and 10 and until last week it was only XP and 7. See? Simple really.

The NAS could be any one of those computers and that's the plan.

But that's not the question really. That's offline storage for emergencies, essentially, isn't it?

For every day use we want 7 computers on the LAN with all their attached Hard Drives available to all. Well available to me anyway, Admin. That's something like 20 Hard Drives.

I don't want ransomware getting into the LAN and encrypting 20 drives.

It has been indicated to me that they only encrypt certain files - obviously your data files. Well that would be all video and image files and audio files, I guess. Then all document files, too. Then perhaps all saved html.

Prime targets would be My Documents, My music, my audio and so on.. And IIS. My IIS directories and data being very important to me and necessarily alive all the time and frequently altered.

Seems to me a good tool could be an automatic compression utility that saves all such files in some compressed format every time you save them and thus makes them of much lower profile to the ransomware - they may even pass unnoticed.

In my case I have many gigabytes of such data. So much that the only way to keep it is on Hard Drives. DVD's would be hopeless. Tape drive would be good. I don't like the cost. But tape is back again and the offline medium of choice, I think.

But though I've got much and I want it accessible all the time most of it is, of course, relatively ancient. Static. I can copy it off onto some Terabyte drives and try to keep them offline. There's the NAS.

But the question is really about using MS's sophisticated file permissions scheme. I mean, that's what it is there for isn't it? File protection. It is possible for even admin to be blocked from altering a file, accessing a drive.

Malwarebytes claims to be able to repel Crypto Locker but honestly I doubt it (as much as I doubt the other claims for Nod32, Kaspersky and Emsisoft) and one thing you must remember is that Crypto Locker goes across a network like a sled goes over fresh snow so no matter how many pcs you have that's just 7 more easy targets. If Malwarebytes protects against Ransomware, then why are they developing Anti-Ransomware software, now in beta format might be a good question to ask them? While the server is no protection and neither is compression BTW, the shut off NAS drive is protection. The list for today covers most office files, pdfs, jpegs, bmps and gifs. One noticeably absent BTW is Macrium and Acronis image files so far are not targeted so there is another thought.

Hi I think if you read the entire link in reply #5, you will answer your own questions! There have always been doubters and there will always be doubters. The best protection so far for ransomeware is back ups; which I suggested in my other replies here on this thread!
I doubt if there will ever be a program that will protect you 100% from the trouble makers that write malwareware and ransomeware!

Last edited by a moderator:
Frequent backups of course are the best protection but it must be off site backups to be safe. Online backup is certainly one thought or a NAS drive or external Usb drive turned off after use is also good protection.
I am not bad mouthing Malwarebytes, just questioning claims from many products that claim to repel Ransomware simply because I don't know how to prove it. Why? Because this type of virus I sure wouldn't like to test, there is too much to lose.

Back