Windows 7 How would you rate Windows 7

Anyhoo, I never saw the whole Vista thing as the debacle everyone else claimed, especially when compared to the abortion called windows millenium, now THAT has to go down as the worse and most buggy OS MS has ever made.

IMHO, Vista had it's problems initially. Got a lot better in SP1. Level raised to great with SP2.

Win7 perfection out of the gate and even before with all the betas, from nearly day 1. SP1 hasn't added nor subtracted from the greatness as of yet.

WinME was the worst attempt at an OS I've ever seen!

Windows 7 has brought Microsoft back in the market after the huge disappointment of Vista....Windows 7 has many features similar to that of XP.....the most loved OS ever.....hope Microsoft keeps on improving....

Windows 7 has brought Microsoft back in the market after the huge disappointment of Vista....Windows 7 has many features similar to that of XP.....the most loved OS ever.....hope Microsoft keeps on improving....

many features of XP? its just Vista core with a lot of vast tweaks so that's not really accurate

I love Windows 7 64 bit. Excellent OS. Far better than Vista which was buggy and makes XP look obsolete.

windows 8 is said to have 128bit support, the betas for that would likely roll from spring
And that will make it a better OS? Just another souped up games console facebook user OS. Unless MS starts thinking about the serious users who use their PC for work then XP is for all intents and purposes the LAST good and usable OS MS ever made. Perhaps someone will come in and fill in the gap with an usable OS like XP!

And that will make it a better OS? Just another souped up games console facebook user OS. Unless MS starts thinking about the serious users who use their PC for work then XP is for all intents and purposes the LAST good and usable OS MS ever made. Perhaps someone will come in and fill in the gap with an usable OS like XP!

XP should have been ditched 5 years ago, seriously 32 bit OS is pushing 15+ year old tech now... by computer standards that equates to more like 50 years of none tech industries. I can't see many still using such antiquated technology for much longer, with the exception of luddite businesses too cheap to re-train. As for suping up driving a new OS, surely that is the primary reason for a new OS else we'd still be using crappy 640x480 graphics with no 3d acceleration etc, after all who still expects to still be getting support for a 10 year old product???? sure people still play on mono coloured gameboys, they didn't stop being fun.... but if you can have more horsepower, more colour, more ram, longer battery life, and better games.. for the same size and price... only a muppet would choose the old gameboy.

The same applies to CPUs, GPUs, Motherboards, etc etc... living in the distant past and keep supporting dead tech beyond the typical expected 6 year lifespan is a terrible way to run technology businesses, so don't blame Microsoft for waking up from it's 10 year slumber to start going back to the old 3 year release shedules as seen back in the 80/90's.

I'd be perfectly happy to scrap my PC in about 4-5 years if it means getting 128/256bit and slick OS performance that abandons all 32bit code to finally kill the legacy crap.

You still learn 7 - just found out you can search not just files but also inside files (i.e for text strings) with windows explorer. why are all these things we know from XP not enabled by default is beyond me.

OK let me clarify. I find win7 to be 95% excellent and 5% crap! The 5% is the new GUI and the lack of classic menus. Most people who use their PCs for work either at the company or at home do not need fancy colours. They do not need to waste so much time trying to find how to do something (this includes the Horrid RIBBON interface in OFFICE). I tried since February to learn the new GUI in win7 and gave up. Fortunately I found an application that has alleviated the problem CLASSIC SHELL. I have thousands of files (3D solid models and all manner of photos, docs etc). and I do not need to search for them every time. With XP I knew exactly where I had my files and where to find them with 2-3 clicks. Win 7 has a mind of its own. It hides and puts things where it likes. I have little control. I am not an IT manager nor a programmer. However I have been using computers for over 25 years now and never had a problem using windows OS up until Win 7. There is no logic behind the way it works. The explorer is a disaster. Yes technology must improve and since I use 3D solid modelling software I need very powerful Graphics capability and a powerful CPU. a 128bit system is no good to me if I have to waste time trying to figure out how to use my PC?

Honestly; I have spent many hours in my life learning complicated software and what I do not need is a menu system that makes it harder to learn and use the software. Firefox declined from using Ribbon just for this reason.

I love win 7; It is very fast and stable but My God this HORRID new menu and Ribbon is just too much!

More details about my computer

Component Details Subscore Base score Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz 7.4
Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB 7.5
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 7.2
Gaming graphics 3707 MB Total available graphics memory 7.2
Primary hard disk 275GB Free (342GB Total) 5.9
Windows 7 Home Premium
System Manufacturer System manufacturer Model System Product Name Total amount of system memory 6.00 GB RAM System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 4 Storage Total size of hard disk(s) 1788 GB Disk partition (C:) 275 GB Free (342 GB Total) Disk partition (D:) 234 GB Free (254 GB Total) Media drive (E:) CD/DVD Disk partition (F:) 335 GB Free (596 GB Total) Disk partition (H:) 264 GB Free (298 GB Total) Disk partition (I:) 264 GB Free (298 GB Total)
Graphics Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Total available graphics memory 3707 MB Dedicated graphics memory 896 MB Dedicated system memory 0 MB Shared system memory 2811 MB Display adapter driver version 8.17.12.5896
Primary monitor resolution 1920x1200
DirectX version DirectX 10
Network Network Adapter Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

Here is the link to Classic Shell.

Classic Shell | Download Classic Shell software for free at SourceForge.net

I've been using it for months and it really works great, it also fixes the folders jumping up and down the screen when you click on them in Windows Explorer.

There are still some issues with Windows Search, which for some reason will not find some file types at some times.
I can run a search for files that I'm looking at and it will say that there are no files of that type on my hard drive.

I have installed an app called Locate 32 that works better.

Locate32 - Download

Mike

OK let me clarify. I find win7 to be 95% excellent and 5% crap! The 5% is the new GUI and the lack of classic menus. Most people who use their PCs for work either at the company or at home do not need fancy colours. They do not need to waste so much time trying to find how to do something (this includes the Horrid RIBBON interface in OFFICE). I tried since February to learn the new GUI in win7 and gave up. Fortunately I found an application that has alleviated the problem CLASSIC SHELL. I have thousands of files (3D solid models and all manner of photos, docs etc). and I do not need to search for them every time. With XP I knew exactly where I had my files and where to find them with 2-3 clicks. Win 7 has a mind of its own. It hides and puts things where it likes. I have little control. I am not an IT manager nor a programmer. However I have been using computers for over 25 years now and never had a problem using windows OS up until Win 7. There is no logic behind the way it works. The explorer is a disaster. Yes technology must improve and since I use 3D solid modelling software I need very powerful Graphics capability and a powerful CPU. a 128bit system is no good to me if I have to waste time trying to figure out how to use my PC?

Honestly; I have spent many hours in my life learning complicated software and what I do not need is a menu system that makes it harder to learn and use the software. Firefox declined from using Ribbon just for this reason.

I love win 7; It is very fast and stable but My God this HORRID new menu and Ribbon is just too much!

More details about my computer

Component Details Subscore Base score Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz 7.4
Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB 7.5
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 7.2
Gaming graphics 3707 MB Total available graphics memory 7.2
Primary hard disk 275GB Free (342GB Total) 5.9
Windows 7 Home Premium
System Manufacturer System manufacturer Model System Product Name Total amount of system memory 6.00 GB RAM System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 4 Storage Total size of hard disk(s) 1788 GB Disk partition (C:) 275 GB Free (342 GB Total) Disk partition (D:) 234 GB Free (254 GB Total) Media drive (E:) CD/DVD Disk partition (F:) 335 GB Free (596 GB Total) Disk partition (H:) 264 GB Free (298 GB Total) Disk partition (I:) 264 GB Free (298 GB Total)
Graphics Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Total available graphics memory 3707 MB Dedicated graphics memory 896 MB Dedicated system memory 0 MB Shared system memory 2811 MB Display adapter driver version 8.17.12.5896
Primary monitor resolution 1920x1200
DirectX version DirectX 10
Network Network Adapter Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

There is one thing that will help to make Windows 7 look more like XP

Click on Start then Control Panel

In the upper right hand corner you will see "View as Category"

Click on the word Category and change to Large or Small Icons (your choice)
Hope this helps,
Gary

I have added another option to the poll for members that do not have Windows 7

I've had windows 7 about 3 months. I would say I like it, not ready to love it. Still getting used to the layout. I was a longtime XP user. I don't think windows 7 would have been a good fit for my old computer. (not enough horsepower).
I've only had two issues with W 7. A graphics issue when using flashplayer (crashing but recovering). Solved it by downloading the latest graphics card driver from the mfgr. (nividia).

And then there is the ongoing problem with a computer phone service's software. I won't say who.................... but initials are (MJ)

The system has been very stable for me. I don't tweek with it too much. It's growing on me.

Every once and a while I can hear the old computer with XP whimpering in the closet where I stored it away but I'm training myself to ignore it. ;)

I've had windows 7 about 3 months. I would say I like it, not ready to love it. Still getting used to the layout. I was a longtime XP user. I don't think windows 7 would have been a good fit for my old computer. (not enough horsepower).
I've only had two issues with W 7. A graphics issue when using flashplayer (crashing but recovering). Solved it by downloading the latest graphics card driver from the mfgr. (nividia).

And then there is the ongoing problem with a computer phone service's software. I won't say who.................... but initials are (MJ)

The system has been very stable for me. I don't tweek with it too much. It's growing on me.

Every once and a while I can hear the old computer with XP whimpering in the closet where I stored it away but I'm training myself to ignore it. ;)

Has the mfgr of the software acknowledged there is a problem or promised a patch or is the software too old?

Has the mfgr of the software acknowledged there is a problem or promised a patch or is the software too old?

Magicjack doesn't consider it a problem. They say the program was designed to work that way. MJ does not want the computer to be turned off because it will cut off their phone connection, end of discussion.
What happens is when you plug in their device to a USB port all the power control settings are useless so the screen saver never comes on, the computer will not sleep or hybernate. Unplug and everything is ok. I think they are issuing some sort of system overrides. I have been able to get my screen saver and light sleep mode working again using the "powercfg -requestsoverride" commands via the cmd window. I still can't get hybernation back. This is about the limit of my technical ability. I don't like tampering with system stuff.
It seems MJ could have written the software to maybe give you the choice of going to voicemail during hybernation or leaving the computer on 24/7.
The MJ device is an external device therefore portable. So I guess that brings on more issues.

Back