Windows 7 How would you rate Windows 7

Maybe it is just the way you have worded your comment but, it is not making sense. The 'start menu' some people wanted back was similar to Windows 7. Start is the same in 8.1 as in 8. The difference is the added Navigation tab under Taskbar Properties... now people can have the OS go straight to Desktop. Now they can toggle between Start & Applications screens. Now they can have Applications show (1st) instead of Start. But, 8.1 has not brought back the start menu of Windows 7.

Generally navigation in 8.1 is improved or, @ least, people will find it so.

The background does imply a sense of continuity.

Cheers,
Drew

PS: Written in Windows 8.1

Trying to say something was forced on people isn't really in the picture. 1, because everything has been optional. There never has been any obligation to use the Win8 Start screen or the all apps screen, either, for that matter. But, that's not really the point, either. People have been using the 'forced on' thing to suggest that therefore whatever (change) has been presented is bad, stupid or not as good or nice as what was prior.

IF someone says, "Now you will carry your phones about w/ no cords" and people say, "We should have the choice to stay tethered to the wall w/ a cord"... does that make cell phones bad, dumb & hard to use? Things change... it does not imply tyranny or conspiracy or lack of freedom.

And, anyway, Windows 8 is worth liking.

Cheers,
Drew

Written in Windows 8.1

'At a conference in San Francisco, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer acknowledged that the company pushed hard to get people to adopt a radical new tile-based "Modern" user interface in Windows 8. Microsoft is now back-pedaling, making it easier to reach and use the older "desktop" interface. "Let's make it easier to start applications the way we're used to" ... I'd say Steve Ballmer summed it up nicely. It's getting fixed at last.

There should just be a switch somewhere in the settings where you could choose if you want the new Windows 8 experience or the more traditional desktop experience. It would have given time to work out the kinks, until the next major revision of Windows, while preventing the alienation of a part of their customers.

There should just be a switch somewhere in the settings where you could choose if you want the new Windows 8 experience or the more traditional desktop experience. It would have given time to work out the kinks, until the next major revision of Windows, while preventing the alienation of a part of their customers.
The new Windows 8.1 has the option to boot directly to the desktop.

Windows 7 is by far the best i have used as i do not like windows 8 and do not plan on getting it anytime soon.
i really cannot live with Vista or Xp thay are the worst

I held onto Windows-2000-pro for such a long time... It was so much better than anything before.

Used Windows-XP for about a year. Started playing with several Windows-7-beta's, and liked it. I month after it came out I bought 2 Pro versions of it. It was what "vista" should of been all along.

I thinking that I'll be holding onto my now 3 Windows-7 disks for as l-o-n-g as possible.

When doing a fresh install.... I already have the full Service-Pack-1, and IE9. Install those right-a-way. Then it lessens ALL the updates.

I held onto Windows-2000-pro for such a long time... It was so much better than anything before.

Used Windows-XP for about a year. Started playing with several Windows-7-beta's, and liked it. I month after it came out I bought 2 Pro versions of it. It was what "vista" should of been all along.

I thinking that I'll be holding onto my now 3 Windows-7 disks for as l-o-n-g as possible.

When doing a fresh install.... I already have the full Service-Pack-1, and IE9. Install those right-a-way. Then it lessens ALL the updates.

Sammy T.: I like Windows 7 Pro SP1 so much as the last true practical MS OS that I installed it on my latest two builds. I also purchased four additional OEM disks for future use, until MS either comes to its senses or finds itself in a competitive marketplace. Indeed I still run three machines with XP and will continue to until failure. When I swivel my chair to work on a Windows 7 machine the look and feel is so similar after tweaking that it nearly impossible to tell the difference. Windows 8 is yet another marketing bludgeon by Microsoft that proves one underlying cause of the decline of American excellence.

I just love window 7 because it is more user friendly & there is no need of driver installation after installing the window7 in your system. And the most important thing which I like is it take very less time when we are trying to install window7 in our system.

Last edited:
I like Windows 7 for the most part; it has it's anomalies for sure like every other MS OS since DOS 1.0 and WIN286. I like it WAY more than the clubfooted Windows8. My issue is that I have 2 high end Vista computers; a Sony Vaio and a Dell Studio desktop that I upgraded to Win7. The Vaio has difficulties with shutdown when connected to my TV via HDMI port when running Windows7; even using the newest driver from both Sony and Microsoft on the HDMI Audio Device. Random blue screen crashes occur. I think I can safely say my Sony Motherboard is to cause since I've replaced the Hard Drive; and it's 5 years old. Can't afford to replace this laptop as it was $1150 new. So, had to remove Win7.

On my Dell Studio Desktop; it ran really good for about a year, and then I started to get a lot of BSODs, in ever increasing numbers. :thud: After extensive research for about 8 months, I discovered that the glitch in my Win7 install (after a Microsoft expert analysed my BSOD dump) was due to the IMGBURN driver I had installed. It turned out that IMGBURN has never corrected their driver problem with Win7 and other people had this same problem on other forums. Uninstalling the IMGBURN program corrected the problem, but I've been gunshy to reinstall the Win7 since it took me 3 weeks to rebuild my system on Vista (that came with the Dell) and get it working fairly reliably. I've read that there are several other Apps out there that still have issues with Win7 specifically and mimic Mobo or Hard Drive failure symptoms. So, I was waiting for Windows8, but that's a bust as I said in earlier posts, and it appears that there may be a ground-roots movement to put back the Windows Start Button in 8.1 final release, but folks here and on other tech forums are telling me to not hold my breath.

Bottom line, I really like Win7 as an OS as long as it's an original or OEM installed OS on a desktop or laptop. But, I can't recommend as an upgrade. Hardware that was sold with XP and was "Vista Ready" did a much better job of taking the newly upgraded OS (Vista), than the Vista computers that were sold as "Windows7 Ready" did with their upgrade. Of course that could be due to a few poorly written or ported Apps such as IMGBURN.

By the way, I love IMGBURN, for those who are fans, but if you are running on a pc that is running Win7 that was upgraded from original VISTA, you MUST remove it immediately after each use to keep your Win7 from hosing up. That's a pain, so if the IMGBURN authors ever read this--please Fix!!. :wound:

Win7 then has my vote for an OS; I give it a B+; not an "A" due to App stability problems. :thumbs_up:

BIGBEARJEDI

I have two 'bones' of contention with windows in general, and I expect they will be the same ones with win8 ... which are as follows:

Quite why Microsoft with all their experience in OS programming, seem to be incapable of either in the case of WordPad, change it so you can no longer define the default Font, point size, and line spacing settings, (possible in virtually all the previous versions of windows) and also NOT configure windows so that with each new version of the OS, printer manufacturers have to redesign their printer drivers, is absolutely beyond me.

Regarding WordPad, what possible 'benefit' do users gain from MS reprogramming this so that it no longer has a Registry file within which users can assign the default Font, Point size and Line spacing they prefer, without adding to Wordpad a sub-menu where you can set these instead, baffles me, unless the intention is to force users to buy that overblown, memory-gobbling Word, which is the utter opposite to what WordPad is. To be fair, Word is a superb feature-rich app, but why the hell should I be 'forced' to have to fire that up, just so that I have the option of personalised default settings?

In the case of printer drivers used in Windows, is it not beyond the wit and intelligence of a programmer, or the team leader of the group which oversees how the printer driver function works within windows, to realise and see that things would be far better and convenient for those who use this OS, if (a) the printer drivers were all installed in a 'dedicated' folder outside, instead of buried in windows, and (b) someone should be assigned to write a separate 32-bit program, which is then used by all subsequent versions of windows. If (which I can) plug in pretty well any MS-compatable keyboard ever made into any version of windows and it will work, why in hell's name, can't that also be the case with the sub-program that 'Activates' all printers? The data going from the OS, to the printer, has been 'defined' for as long as that of a keyboard has, so I absolutely cannot see why the same doesn't apply to printers, unless there is some knuckle-headed individual/team within MS, which belives that with every itaration of windows, the progam code for these needs to be changed, even when there is no need for them to be changed! If they are incapable of doing that, this 'team' needs to be flogged within an inch of their lives, and then sacked!

Great to have you aboard Mark :)

And I somewhat agree with your perspective on WordPad Sam, although Microsoft introduced additional file compatibility (such as DOCX) to WordPad with Windows 7. So at least it's cross compatible to some extent with Word documents. As a basic client, I think it's entirely fine.

i like the OS to a great deal and to give a due weightage to my like .. experience its overall performance in terms of ease of access, storage, sharing and entertainment ... provided in such an organized manner .. every one will love to work with .. as is happening

When Windows 7 preview was released I tested it and loved it! When it was released I did not hesitate to buy it, It was by far the best MS put out. Since then I had the privilege to upgrade to Windows 8 pro which is great also. If Windows 8.1 (when released) craps out on me for some weird reason(which I doubt), I shall go back to Windows 7 and would be happy with it. I have come a long way with MS OS software and I am pleased with how they are refining the OS to work smoother with each upgrade or new version.
cheers

When Windows 7 preview was released I tested it and loved it! When it was released I did not hesitate to buy it, It was by far the best MS put out. Since then I had the privilege to upgrade to Windows 8 pro which is great also. If Windows 8.1 (when released) craps out on me for some weird reason(which I doubt), I shall go back to Windows 7 and would be happy with it. I have come a long way with MS OS software and I am pleased with how they are refining the OS to work smoother with each upgrade or new version.
cheers
You've been enjoying Windows 8?
You're one of the few members here who genuinely seem to, so welcome to the club ;)
I love it, I think Microsoft is well on their way to having a unified ecosystem across devices with Windows 8.

Back
Top Bottom