Windows 7 How would you rate Windows 7

Yes I will admit when I first installed the Windows 8 Preview I didn't like the Metro screen so I wasn't much interested. There was a lot of bugs. I installed it on a separate drive from Windows 7. But when it was released they had made a lot of tweets so I decided to give it another whirl. I decided to set up the Desktop just like Windows 7. All of the programs I use installed and worked flawless on the Desktop, and then I realized I really didn't need the Metro screen or the Start Button. 90% of the time I am in the desktop screen. I pop into the Metro to quickly go to the Control Panel (or a few other programs) which immediately brings me back to the desktop with Control Panel so it really is no different. I don't know why so many are down on Windows 8. Maybe it's because they were like me and didn't give it a chance. Try it with a open mind, you may be surprised :)
I am very pleased and it has been running smooth. Now I am counting the days for the new Windows 8.1 pro :)

You've been enjoying Windows 8?
You're one of the few members here who genuinely seem to, so welcome to the club ;)
I love it, I think Microsoft is well on their way to having a unified ecosystem across devices with Windows 8.

I really like 8 and I'm now really liking 8.1. The start screen isn't the best on a desktop, but nothing that would drive me from all the other enhancements

Same.
I had Windows 8 on a notebook for the longest time and loved the start screen without touch. However, after I switched to a tablet I do find the start screen to be rather unintuitive on anything other than.

So windows 7 has been out for a good while how would you rate it. Do you love it, like it, 50/50, dislike it or wish I never installed it. So far I have had few too no problems with 7 it is so much better than vista I have to say i love it.

I went from XP Pro to Win 7 Pro. There is a huge difference, but I like a lot of things about XP better than Win 7. Of course Win 7 is more powerful. But it has taken me weeks to get to where I can get around in it, since so many things are in different places or not even available.

Just once I'd like to see M$ get an operating system DEBUGGED before they start on a new pile of bugs.

And I have yet to figure why each Windows that comes out MUST be as different as possible from what you've learned to use from last time. I guess some folks get bored using what is and must have "Other."

IF I could get Windows-8.... without that ugly 16-colour touch screen... I'd think about buying it...!

I am the same way I love 7 but the UI on 8 sucks on desktops great for mobile and tablets but horrible for desktop.

I had a order of new laptops for some of my staff at work arrive a few weeks ago, they came pre installed with Windows 8. All I can say is how horrible it is. Everything you do, you get a menu, popup or a options list you don't need, want or even like. We quickly downgraded to windows 7 again using our existing licenses.

Windows XP was the best, Windows 7 improved on XP in every way. Windows 8 is not for PC's, more suited for Tablets.
Don't think I will be changing from Windows 7 for a long time to come, Amazing OS.

Sorry you feel that way about Windows 8, personally I really like it, and Windows 8.1 is even better. I loved Windows 7 when it came out and would still have it on my system if Windows 8 never came out. It takes a bit to get used to but once you get past the new fluff it is the same as windows 7. You can set it up to run and look same as windows 7. The start button in windows 8.1 is not the same as windows 7 but you can get Stardock's Start8 small app and have the start button and display it identical to all previous versions.

cheers mate

Windows 7 was & still is a good OS, but 8.1 has improved power management & is faster overall, even from cold boot on SSD,

VsUK, 8.1 is a learning curve, but with time & patience, as well as an open mind, one can learn the basics of 8.1 on little time. No more double clicking onto things to get them started (unless icons installed on Desktop), fast searching, even with Search disabled, just an overall better experience.

However, as I've stated, it does take time. Plus Secure Boot makes the computer more secure than ever. Hopefully one day you'll give it a shot again.

Cat

I just need my start menu..! A start button alone is not enough.

I don't know how decisions are made at MS. BUT NOT nearly all computers are touch-screen. So why that stupid green start-up screen?

I have a smartphone, and tablet. I always am cleaning the screen from all the touching and swiping... how is that a good thing?

sammytruck, if you really need a Start menu, there's Classic Shell, it's 100% Free. 4.0.2 is the current version.

http://www.classicshell.net/

It's been reported & there's also a thread on this forum in regards to what Windows 8.2 is rumored to offer, a Start Menu like that of Windows 7.

http://windowsforum.com/threads/windows-8-2-rumors-likely-true-start-menu-returns.181150/

Hopefully that's encouraging to you, in the meantime try out Classic Shell, it got me over the initial hump, now I run in native mode. However I understand that not all cares to for various reasons & I also believe in the user having the freedom to install what's needed to stay productive.

Classic Shell has done just that & unlike many of the newer Start replacements, they've been around for awhile. It was initially released in 2009 for Windows 7/Vista users, many of whom wanted the XP (or beyond) look & feel. Have it myself on Vista, but it doesn't support 4.0 or above, 3.6.8 is the latest release for that OS. Probably because the Vista user base is so small these days, it doesn't pay to continue to develop backwards compatibility for such as small amount of users.

Cat

I realise that 8 is a learning curve, just like 7 was.

BUT I still want my start-menu.

I want know for sure, that my boot-up will NOT Have that green startup screen....

As I intimated in a previous post. Lot of interesting comments here which are being missed in the Windows 8 section?

You're correct davehc, it's no longer 2009 & this is a Windows 7 OP, rather than 8.1.

Windows 7 is a vast improvement over XP, the large majority of Windows consumers are running the OS & it's supported until the year 2020. It was well designed & will be a player for a long time. Though it would be good of MS to release SP2 for it, as clean installs/reinstalls are so time consuming due to the many updates released since SP1 was released in 2011. Plus SP2 will likely offer native USB 3.0 support.

So for those who insists on running Windows 7, you're in good company. Hundreds of millions of Windows customers will run the OS until it's unsupported. In the end, it's going to be harder to get users to give up Windows 7 than with XP users of today.

Cat

Back
Top Bottom