Windows 7 HP Photosmart 7660 Printer

Cissy

Honorable Member
Well, darn it all. My HP Photosmart 7600 series printer won't install or work at all in Windows 7. No updated drivers available. I just love this printer. Nothing wrong with it and it prints beautifully. Since this is a beta OS, is it a possibility that later down the road, drivers might be availablle? This HP printer is a 2003 model, but perfectly good. Newer ones are too expensive in this horrible economy.

Just ranting LOL.

**update** Woohoo! Found the solution at HP support. I installed drivers for Vista and it worked ... perfect directions for tweaking and voila...I can print from Windows 7. How cool is that? :D

Last edited:
hewlet packard drivers kinda suck

I've had problems with an HP and win7 too. Our's is an officejet L7780 all in one and it works when you hook it up with USB, but wont work over the network. Right now I have it shared through the wireless on an XP machine and all the other computers connect wirelessly through to the XP machine to use it as a shared printer. The printer however does send scans to the win7 machines shared scans directories, so the network at least works one way between win7 and HP. So maybe you can try that, hook up your printer through an XP or vista machine and share it.
By the way, I couldn't get that printer to work with sharing by sharing it with a win7 machine, I was getting credential errors. any tips? :confused:

I've had problems with an HP and win7 too. Our's is an officejet L7780 all in one and it works when you hook it up with USB, but wont work over the network. Right now I have it shared through the wireless on an XP machine and all the other computers connect wirelessly through to the XP machine to use it as a shared printer. The printer however does send scans to the win7 machines shared scans directories, so the network at least works one way between win7 and HP. So maybe you can try that, hook up your printer through an XP or vista machine and share it.
By the way, I couldn't get that printer to work with sharing by sharing it with a win7 machine, I was getting credential errors. any tips? :confused:

I have an HP C5180 AIO printer that is accessed through the network. I had a heck of a time getting this to install until I used 'Compatibility mode'. Right click on the install file, then select Properties. Click on the Compatibility tab at the top. Check the box for Run this program in compatibility mode for: then select Windows Vista from the drop down. I also selected Run this program as an administrator. All of the software installed and I can access my printer on the network from either of my Windows 7 machines.

Hope this infomation help.

Well, as I stated before, mine is working great now with Win 7 as I followed directions for Vista drivers. Mine in an HP Photosmart 7660 from 2003. Being that old, I am pleased it is working now. I never did go with Vista so I wasn't aware that this particular printer could be compatible with Vista/Win7.

I have a HP Photosmart C7180 All In One and Windows 7 picked it up fine. The problem I am having is that when I install the HP Vista software I get to a certain point and the software errors saying the OS is not supported. I understand this may be an HP issue just curious if anyone else is having a similar problem with the HP Vista software not installing in Windows 7. Note, I have used the cd and the latest downloadable software from the HP support website.

I used the downloaded file for my C5180, and used compatibility mode to install it. Right click on the file, left click on Properties, click on the Compatibility tab. Then select 'Run this program in compatibility mode for:' and select Windows Vista from the drop down. It installed all the needed software

I used the downloaded file for my C5180, and used compatibility mode to install it. Right click on the file, left click on Properties, click on the Compatibility tab. Then select 'Run this program in compatibility mode for:' and select Windows Vista from the drop down. It installed all the needed software

Yes that's what I did for the software. I did the compatability for the specific software on the cd as well as the downloaded exe but to no avail. Not a big problem really as I boot to XP to use the software just curious if anyone else has had this problem.

Ok just updating I decided to run the downloaded software from HP again, after checking to make sure the compatibility mode was checked and checked the run as an administrator. Everything installed perfectly, guess third time is a charm, and am gonna try it out. For anyone who reads this for help I suggest you check the run as administrator as well as the compatibility with vista chosen to get this to work.

Last edited:
Well, as I stated before, mine is working great now with Win 7 as I followed directions for Vista drivers. Mine in an HP Photosmart 7660 from 2003. Being that old, I am pleased it is working now. I never did go with Vista so I wasn't aware that this particular printer could be compatible with Vista/Win7.

Hey,
I also have a HP Photosmart 7660 and i recently changed to Windows 7 64bit and 7cant get the printer to work.
I followed the instructions on the HP website to go ahead with the 5600 driver and when i reached the "Print test Page" part nothin happened.
Can anyone pls help me out, :(

Last edited:
Hey,
I also have a HP Photosmart 7660 and i recently changed to Windows 7 64bit and 7cant get the printer to work.
I followed the instructions on the HP website to go ahead with the 5600 driver and when i reached the "Print test Page" part nothin happened.
Can anyone pls help me out, :(

Hi,

I would suggest you to download and install the drivers from the manufacturer’s website
Link Removed - Invalid URL

Alternative download link.
HP Photosmart 7660 Driver

Last edited:
So you went through the instructions on how to install the Alternate Driver? Were you able to change the printer port to USB?

If you look at the Printer properties (right click), there are two options. The one in the middle of the context menu is the Administrative version.

The above answer is correct. Change your setting to USB. That's what I had to do it get mine working. Good luck...

Cissy

Back