Windows 8 i don't know where this question belongs: Windows 8.1 major problems

JAMES MCDONALD

I just bought a new slim laptop Lenovo Ideapad S210 loaded with win 8 from Newegg. After installing win 8.1 from windows store I found major problems. Most of the icons don't open up. Even when I download new apps most of them work first and then don't work. One of them downloaded but I can't find it even under the arrow.
Should I return it to Newegg? or are the problems fixable? How to do that. Reinstall is out of the question I guess because I was not given a product code? Please place this question in the right area.

Last edited:
I did not have a problem with upgrading Win 8 but with the apps as described. Many don't open up and if I uninstall the icon that is there ,the store either says they are already on my metro or when I do install them the icon doesn't open up. Am I making myself clear since I am not a technical person and have little familiarity with 8.1. The icons don't open up!

Once you've uninstalled and reinstalled the apps...open up the store app, right click anywhere on the store app, then select your apps and go through what apps you downloaded and need to install.

I had a huge problem upgrading from the store too. This link may help you. Use an iso instead of the store.
I wish I had done that. I could have saved myself a lot of trouble. I am sure there are threads on this here, as well.
http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-81-tip-download-windows-81-iso-windows-8-product-key
Thanks for the idea. If I can't figure out the correction for the app problem I will take your above method of reinstalling. I need to get a reinstall disk anyway.

James, I also had a preinstalled Win8 from manufacturer. Your window key is embedded in your motherboard I believe.

Power the pc off then press and hold the “One Key Recovery” key at the top of your Keyboard, your pc should boot up. Choose “Restore to factory settings."

This is a long story but I believed I solved some problems. When I first used this laptop, HD Sentinel indicated some major errors and a health of 70%, error occurred daily. I did some research and was advised to return new computer (64 bit) to Newegg for RMA. They found no problems and returned it to me. I updated HD Sentinel software to most recent version. After a few days the health became 100% and there were no more reported Hard Drive errors in HD Sentinel. I attributed it to a 64 bit update of HD Sentinel. Also used Seagate disk checking software and other error checking software with no other problems occurred. This is the first time I have used a 64 bit Windows.

Now the apps seem to be working much better and correctly.

Back
Top Bottom